Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs View Post
    Watchmen trade paperback. It's been 20 years...
    I, somehow, never read Watchmen, so I bought it and I am reading it now.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec View Post
      I, somehow, never read Watchmen, so I bought it and I am reading it now.
      Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realise you've spoiled yourself for the movie now, don't you?
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The Day Watch and The Dusk Watch. Haven't read them yet; they're in the queue somewhere.
        Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
          Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realise you've spoiled yourself for the movie now, don't you?
          Yaaaah! I know....

-but, I saw the trailer and it looked soooooo good!

-and I know how most everyone around here loves Alan Moore,so I was too intrigued to turn away.

I know that I will still love the movie, by 2009 it won't be as fresh in my mind.

Spoilers Ahead:

Very interesting!

I really missed a lot of incredible and fantastic books and graphic novels in my youth, and I kick myself for not buying the better products back then, after all, I even stopped by comic shops pretty often when that thing first came out.

Oh, I have much to learn!

The thing is,though, it was well worth the twenty year wait! Now I really understand the true meaning of superb work!
          Last edited by lemec; 10-09-2008, 03:47 AM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Whilst i was out earlier i picked up a copy of 'Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail' by Hunter S Thompson.
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

This morning i picked up a copy of Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman.
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Some of the books I ordered with my poker windfall just showed up as i headed for the hospital. Added Pandora's Planet and the last two books of the Lost Swords by Saberhagen to complete my collection of that series. Also got my daughter the boxed set of the Bleach manga for either her birthday or Christmas. If I give it to her for her birthday I won't see her the whole weekend she is visiting so it may have to wait until Dec. In new stuff picked up a copy of the works of Boris and Julie Bell and preordered Drake's finish to the Lord of the Isles series and something called the definitive Frazetta. We'll see.

Am totally POed however. Find out for years I have been living an hour away from Boris and 2 from Frazetta and have never known it. Don't know if Boris has a gallery where he lives but found out Frazetta does. All the time I have wasted.

Still have funds for two more decent acquistions which ae going to be Mike's. Just haven't figured out whether to go with a some of the newer omnibuses or some of the older editions

herb

herb
                herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

I also just got a Hunter book The Great Shark Hunt

Comment

Classic HST there MrC in my opinion his best book!!
                    Recently i bought a copy of The Rum Diaries by the same man and it was an excellent read.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I'm chiming in to agree with Thingfish on The Great Shark Hunt! Makes me feel warm all over to think of Hunter S. with the Kentucky Colonels! anyway, I just ordered a copy of NW 216.
                      Kevin McCabe
                      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Actually I enjoyed his "Hell's Angels" most, still have a copy somewhere, tho Hunter is an enjoyable read on mostly anything.

Buying spree has hit a wall until I see what they clip me for my hospital stays and what insurance is going to cover. Rehab is a bite. Paying a weekly copay equal to my monthly gym fee to do exercises with giant rubber bands that I can do at my gym. Problem is i need the one part that works on my arm and hand, that I can't do at the gym. Could have bought the entire Elric in firsts with a few Hawkmoons thrown in by the time this thing is over but all in all, consider myself lucky.

herb
                        herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Good to hear you're on the mend, herb.

Just today bought a hardback copy of Silverheart for a pound! Brand new! I already have it in paperback, but at that price I thought I'd upgrade. Also found a copy of the Quartet edition of 'The Sword and The Stallion'

Only realised a little while back that I didn't have all the Quartet editions, so I had to find it. Also got all the Reggie Perrin books by David Nobbs, which I'm very much looking forward to reading.
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Also glad to hear you are on the mend Herb.
                            Keep yer chin up!!
                            Those Reggie Perrin books sound good Gov!
                            Earlier on i picked up a copy of Dead Air by Iain Banks.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Wow, Gov, thats some cover! The ones I read were the single book editions, but had these trippy colors and were kind of psychedelic looking. I remember that I bought 'em new, which only hurt because I devoured them so quick!
                              Kevin McCabe
                              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• My latest purchases include:
                                • The Adventures of Una Persson & Catherine Cornelius... - Quartet softcover
                                • The Opium General - Harrap hardcover
                                • The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius - Harrap hardcover
                                • A Cure for Cancer - Quartet paperback
                                • The Ice Schooner - Harrap hardcover
                                • The Warlord of the Air - Ace paperback (1971)
                                • The War Amongst the Angels - Orion paperback
                                • Elric at the End of Time - NEL hardcover
                                • The Ice Schooner - Grafton paperback (1985)

Most of those were upgrades (i.e. pbk > hc) but a couple were bought for the Image Hive.
                                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                                X