Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm

Lathe of Heaven
    Forever Peace
    Age of the Conglomerates
    SFX (last months in Britain just hit the stands here)
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Queens of Deliria was the last book I bought. I shall be starting it soon.

Lathe of Heaven is great. Been filmed a couple of times, though I've never seen either.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Just started on Lathe of Heaven Gov,i had no idea that it had been filmed.
        Should be worth checking out(i hope)
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Well, TF, for once we're going to be in sync on reading. I'm finishing off Red Harvest and then starting Lathe of Heaven. I haven't read one of hers since The Dispossessed. Apparently, there are five other books loosely hooked to that one. Anyone know if Lathe is one of them? (Oh, and thanks for the tip on the fillums Gov!)
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Ah! Yet another 'loonies seldom differ' moment Kevin eh!!
            Not read 'The Disposessed' yet,will have to have a look for it.
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Its a good critique of what both Anarchism and Capitalism can become. Bit moody, but very rewarding. (Gotta admit, though, we don't need to look a whole lot further than the newspapers headlines for a critique of capitalism over here about now, TF )
              Kevin McCabe

Comment

Last book I bought? Don't now which one would count as I just purchased Hillerman's Dark Wind, Rowley's War for Eternity and Herbert's Dosadi Experiment through ABE at the same time, all in hardcover, all firsts. Dark Wind I haven't read and brings me within 2 books of completing my collection of the Chee/Leaphorn series firsts. Rowley I have in paperback but it's getting old and so wanted a hardcover for my collection and Dosadi is a replacement. I have a first of that but I acquired it when I was just a reader and not a collector so that, while readable it isn't what I call collectible.

While these were the last ones bought, they haven't arrived yet. Last one I actully got my hands on were both Gregg editions of Norton's Witch World, Warlock and Year of the Unicorn, again both of which I had in paperback, Warlock still in good shape but Unicorn falling apart. I got a bargain with Warlock, Very good copy with no ex-lib markings which is rare for the Gregg editions. Unicorn isn't so good but at least I can read it without worrying the pages are going to fall out.

Looking to add some of Michael's books to my collection but he is a lot more difficult than most to collect as there are so many different ways his stories are published. I have most of the DAW paperback firsts and a few of the American firsts in hard cover that came out after I discovered him, but then you have the omnibus editions, of which i have some plus a couple of special editions. His publishing history is as confusing as the Multiverse itself. I hope to use some of the resources of this site to help straighten my swirling mind out.

herb
                herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                  Looking to add some of Michael's books to my collection but he is a lot more difficult than most to collect as there are so many different ways his stories are published. I have most of the DAW paperback firsts and a few of the American firsts in hard cover that came out after I discovered him, but then you have the omnibus editions, of which i have some plus a couple of special editions. His publishing history is as confusing as the Multiverse itself. I hope to use some of the resources of this site to help straighten my swirling mind out.
                  Hi Herb. If you have any specific questions we'll be glad to help out. You might also want to check out Mike's books in the Image Hive for pointers, re. editions.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks David. Will do. BTW, I'm jealous. Looking at your purchase lists and I remember a time I used to buy like that. Now I have to wait until I hit a bit of a windfall to indulge in my passion the way I would like <G>.

herb
                    herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

Comment

My book collection gets a boost, caught that windfall. Chopped the prize at a charity poker game, breast cancer being the beneficiary. After half the prize going to the charity and then adding to my playing bankroll it still leaves me enough to add maybe a dozen or so unless I decide to go after something a bit more special. Maybe time to go searching for something of Mike's.

herb
                      herb

Comment

This afternoon i just scored myself a bright,shiny new copy of 'The City in the Autumn Stars' so i feel a Von Bek re-read coming on!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                          This afternoon i just scored myself a bright,shiny new copy of 'The City in the Autumn Stars' so i feel a Von Bek re-read coming on!!
                          Nice. I have been doing mostly rereading as I both catalog my collection and pull out certain ones I haven't perused in awhile and I have also been persuing hardback copies of cerain paperbacks in my collection as as they are delivered I find myself putting them on the reading list. Add to that, after finding this site I've delved back into my Moorcock collection and have started rereading Hawkmoon. I'll never finish with the cataloging.

herb
                          herb

Comment

The Scar
                            by China Mieville
                            I read the first chapter.I think it'll be tiring for the first 50-100 pages just like Perdido Street Station but in the end it'll be equally good.I love China's ideas and his story in PSS was really good.But I have to finish some other books before I get lost in the world of Bas Lag...

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                              Add to that, after finding this site I've delved back into my Moorcock collection and have started rereading Hawkmoon. I'll never finish with the cataloging.

herb
                              Re-reading the Hawkmoon books ay?
                              Now that is a sorely tempting suggestion
                              Enjoy!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Grabed Mike's The White Wolf's Son, Lords of the Pit, and Jess Lebow's Obsidian Ridge (Forgotten Realms, The Citadels)

Comment

Working...
                                X