Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up at the gals School Fair a few books.

The Fool (his social and literary history) - Enid Welsford
    Sir Gawain & The Green Knight - Simon Armitage
    Lucia Victrix by E F Benson (the first three Mapp & Lucia books and with my map of Rye/Tilling I can visualise the places)

The Mythology of Britain - Geoffrey Ashe (using Graves technique to look through some of the myths and legends of Britain).

Remmington and Russel - Leonard Everett Fischer (about the western illustrators, who I don't know that much about and it intrigued me).

Americian Art of the 20th Century - a Thames & Hudson published in 1961/62. This is a fascinating look at the period as there are artists who have dropped out of sight as their reputation have fallen as well as seeing those who might not appeared and opinions being revised later on in the years.
    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• A fine haul there Pebble!
      This afternoon i picked up Empire and Hollywood by Gore Vidal.
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Just bought The Hammer & the Cross, by Robert Ferguson. It's a new history of the Vikings. Looks good so far.
        Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Picked up a copy of The Lost City of Z by David Grann a little while back, which has jumped straight to the top of the tbr pile.

Thanks to cthulhu77 who brought it to my attention over 18 months ago!
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Found a copy of 'Black Like Me' and plan to reread it. I think it's indispensable for understanding American history and current history too.

Comment

• Hard Day's Knight by John Hartness. Impulse buy from the author while playing poker with him in Vegas mainly because I liked his previous book.
              herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• For Christmas got The Three Emperors by Miranda Carter. Another history of King George 5th, Kaiser Wilhelm 2 & Tsar Nicholas 2.
                Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• For Christmas I got Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds, A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow by George R. R. Martin and Sojan the Swordsman/Under the Warrior Star by Moorcock/Lansdale.

Had to go out and get them myself, though!
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Whole slew of books in this thread that I read and loved, so big buying spree coming up for all the good stuff mentioned that I haven't read yet

Last thing I bought was Watership Down as a gift for Jane, who loves the book but I knew hadn't a copy right then. Don't doubt I'll read it myself; I remember it fondly.
                    Considering it has taken 49 years to become 'not a complete ass,' I wonder if I shall ever become 'wise?'

Comment

• Under the 2010 Christmas tree: The Complete Harlem Heroes by Tom Tully, Dave Gibbons and Massimo Belardinelli, and Swords & Dark Magic, ed. Strahan & Anders. Just starting Mike's Elric story 'Red Pearls' now.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Winging its way down my chimney this year were Cities of the red Night by Bill Burroughs and Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd and(oh joy of joys!)The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer which was my bible in my late teens/early 20s but havent seen for years!
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Northern View Post
                          Last thing I bought was Watership Down as a gift for Jane, who loves the book but I knew hadn't a copy right then. Don't doubt I'll read it myself; I remember it fondly.
                          I found a companion to Watership Down about the myths of the rabbits, unfortunately, I can't put my hand on it at the moment. I did hear Richard Adams on the radio explaining how he started from the Iliad as the starting point of WD.

Comment

• I loved Watership Down when i read it as well as his other one about the dogs that escape from the experimentation lab.
                            My favourite animal fiction though is the series about the mole society by William Horwood(iirc).
                            Couldnt put those down.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebble View Post
                              Originally posted by Chris Northern View Post
                              I found a companion to Watership Down about the myths of the rabbits, unfortunately, I can't put my hand on it at the moment. I did hear Richard Adams on the radio explaining how he started from the Iliad as the starting point of WD.
                              Thanks for the info, Pebble; I had no idea but will for sure seek it out.

It was The Plague Dogs, Thingfish. Shardik was also nicely written, more about the people than the bear they danced around.
                              Considering it has taken 49 years to become 'not a complete ass,' I wonder if I shall ever become 'wise?'

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                                I loved Watership Down when i read it as well as his other one about the dogs that escape from the experimentation lab.
                                My favourite animal fiction though is the series about the mole society by William Horwood(iirc).
                                Couldnt put those down.
                                Perhaps you might be interested in Bunnies & Burrows?

Chris - Still can't put my hand on that copy, might be out in the garage library. Might look later.

Comment

Working...
                                X