Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
    My lass just stopped in to our island 2nd hand book shop (actually, it's a wee ol' lady's house) and came home with a copy of Stephen R. Donaldson's The Mirror of Her Dreams for 50 cents.
    Now thats what i'd call a bargain WL!
    Love those Mordants Need books,in fact, im thinking of a re-read soon as its been awhile!
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
      Now thats what i'd call a bargain WL!
      Love those Mordants Need books,in fact, im thinking of a re-read soon as its been awhile!
      I read the first one when my wife went into labour for the first child as there was not much to do (she was out with gas and air) and I got through 2/3 of the book before waiting for the dramatic moment to arrive.

I did enjoy it the books and for one it was nice not to have a great sprawling sequence a la Thomas Covenant. I still have the Runes of the Earth to read in the Garage Library.

Took me a good few years to find the sequel and read that.

You, youngsters with the internet, never had it so good!
      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Just picked up the new edition of A Disease of Language - Eddie Campbell's graphic adaptation of two site-specific spoken word pieces by Alan Moore, plus an extensive conversation/interview between the two chaps.

(Synchronicity - I'm currently working literally next door to the Conway Hall, in Red Lion Square, London, where one of the pieces was performed)

Comment

• The last three I bought (since I can't remember which came first ):

Reliquary by Preston/Child - an Agent Pendergast story
          Cabinet of Curiosities by Preston/Child - also a Pendergast tale
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles by Mike

Technically, Doctor Who was the first one I bought, but it was a pre-order and I had to wait for it to ship...all three books arrived around the same time.

das

Comment

• Radetzky-March by Joseph Roth, a pillar of 20th century Austro-German literature. A great novel essential to understand the thinking in 19th to early 20th century Central Europe, understanding the fall of the monarchist world and the class system in continental European.
            Google ergo sum

Comment

• A whole slew of various Bantam Doc Savage stories, mainly to plug the holes in my 40 something year old collection. Just wish they were still $.60 to .95 the way they once were
              herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• I just went out and bought a great big doorstop of a book - The Witching Hour by Anne Rice.

I've never really read much of her stuff before - not sure why as it's an obvious choice given my taste for broody Gothic people.
                "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

• Read that a few years back Mirky and loved it!
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Still Life With Crows - another Preston/Child Agent Pendergast book.

das

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                      A whole slew of various Bantam Doc Savage stories, mainly to plug the holes in my 40 something year old collection. Just wish they were still $.60 to .95 the way they once were
                      I have rarely seen any Doc Savage books over here in the UK. FP has the recent import reprints and I remember about three titles that were paperbacks in the late 70s.

Any one know the Anne Rice book based on the Magic Flute?
                      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebble View Post
                        Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                        A whole slew of various Bantam Doc Savage stories, mainly to plug the holes in my 40 something year old collection. Just wish they were still $.60 to .95 the way they once were
                        I have rarely seen any Doc Savage books over here in the UK. FP has the recent import reprints and I remember about three titles that were paperbacks in the late 70s.

Any one know the Anne Rice book based on the Magic Flute?
                        I started collecting Doc back in the late 60's, the Bantam editions. Probably have about 100 or so of the 182 original stories, most of those first printings. Kind of fell out of the habit when Bantam went to the 4 story omnibus and I went to serious work and packed most of them away in storage but lately I've been cataloging my library and sort of rediscovered them along with a lot of other authors of my younger days, including Mike. Problem is the early pb were cheaper and although the spines have held up remarkably well, unlike my Lancer Conans. there is quite a bit of browning and some brittleness to the pages on quite a few of them. Also I hate the habit used book stores have of stamping their logo on the front page of any pb they acquire. Screws up a collector something fierce. Hopefully will complete the collection one day.
                        herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Just ordered a copy of Swords and Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery online. Should be fun...just have two wait two weeks for the book to make its way to my house!
                          "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

• On the mainland looking after my Dad after an operation, and grabbed my copy of LeGuin's The Telling. My lass reported from the isle that she's picked up the copy of Mother London that David Mosley sent, and my payment for a personalized copy of Terraphiles has been sent off. Now, I've recently purchased the entire Pyat series, the Second Ether books and in the process reading the Elric Sagas . . . it looks like I'm going to have a multiversal Chrissie this year.
                            Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Ah you lucky man WL,you are in for a treat!
                              A loonies seldom differ moment too as i picked up Ursula's Always Coming Home yesterday as well as The White Plague by Frank Herbert.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Another LeGuin I've not read . . . steady WL, no more online purchases . . . until after Chrissie that is.
                                Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                                X