Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by opaloka View Post
    I wish they'd do those in color. I mean the marvel essentials, not Rush. They could even use cheap paper like the old days, I'd buy 'em. I mean the Marvels, not the Rush.
    I hummed and ahh about getting a digital comics subscription from Marvel, which I think 4 books would come to a year subs. Firstly, I don't have a big screen or an ipad, which I did see a digitalised comic on (and looked good). Secondly, I did have a peak at a Thor one and felt the colour was 'too vibrant'.

I first read the early marvels with the duo-tone (black and red for spider man comic weekly) and they switched to black and white. So I don't mind too much. I am surprised the the Marvel Essentials are holding their price fo arround £10 a book, you can pick they up on ebay, etc but these are one off volumes. I did get a 2nd hand Dr Strange volume one for the early Dikto at £5.50, but plus postage (as it came from the States), put the price up to £8-£9 mark.

Essential Thor volume one is going for £28.00 on Amazon for a used copy!
    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• 28? It's probably far cheaper than that to order a brand new copy from the US where it's still in print.

I read them in color when I was a kid, but I was pretty unhappy with the archival color books firstly because of the price and secondly they did seem too bright. They also don't and probably never will have the books I want in those deluxe editions (Luke Cage, for instance, or Warlord in the DC Universe.) I basically want them to look authentic, though I guess there is no way to do that except to use low grade paper.

Comment

• Light is great book. You'll enjoy it.

I've just finished "Heartstone and Saber," a well written sword and sorcery book by Jaqui Singleton. It's lesbian themed, but not cliched in any way.

I'm currently reading another lesbian sword and sorcery novel, "Eldin of Yashor" by C. Tyler Storm. Very compelling so far. All sorts of plot twists and unexpected events. The main character, Eldin's mother is named "Elrik!" I wonder if Ms. Storm was aware of the significance of that name, or if just a coincidence?

Also just re-read F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Last Tycoon." I really wish he'd lived to finish it. Very compelling novel. The first real "inside look" at Hollywood.

As for Chandler, I re-read "The Big Sleep" at least once a year. I love all of his work, even the short stories about Carmody (who would become Marlowe in the novels).
        Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

• Picked up a copy of I Am Lazarus by Anna Kavan this afternoon!
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I ordered copies of, 'Aliens Ate My Trousers', by Hunt Emerson (a collection of his, 'Phenomenomix', strips from the Fortean Times) and 'Spirit Roads', by Paul Devereux. The strip book arrived Monday and it's a joy to behold. I'm still waiting for Devereux book, but I'm looking forward to reading up on corpse roads and dodewegen, around the World.

Comment

• The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde

Comment

• This morning i picked up a copy of Glory Season by David Brin for the princely sum of 50p!
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Just bought "We Saw Spain Die" & "Comrades!" by Paul Preston. The first one is about the foreign correspondents who covered the war & the second is a series of portraits of the major personalities of the war, from the far right to the far left. Also got on order "Three Emporers" by Angela Carter about Tsar Nicholas, King Edward VII & Kaiser Whilhelm II. Still haven't got hold of "Vengeance of Rome" though.
                  Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

• Silver, there's a few copies of VoR on FleaBay right now.
                    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Picked up a copy of Asimov's Mysteries yesterday!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Last book bought? That would be Sojan the Swordsman/Under the Warrior Sun (by OFL/Lansdale) from Paizo/Planet Stories.
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Found a great hardback copy of Tanith Lee's The Secret Books of Paradys. Dark, moody and engaging so far.
                          "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing." Anais Nin

Comment

• Sounds good Mirky,i've always been meaning to get around to buying some Tanith Lee and today is as good a day as any!
                            Im off to have a look.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• My lass just stopped in to our island 2nd hand book shop (actually, it's a wee ol' lady's house) and came home with a copy of Stephen R. Donaldson's The Mirror of Her Dreams for 50 cents.
                              Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• I found a copy of Essential Thor Volume one, so I can read the whole of the Kirby run of the book and JLA Rock of Ages for Comic Book club.
                                Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Working...
                                X