Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a recommendation, I picked up Relic by Preston/Childs. In reading it, this Pendergast fella sort of reminds me of Zenith. Not a bad thing at all! :D

das

Comment

• My copy of Into the Media Web arrived this morning - just as I was leaving the house! Oh, the frustration!

Comment

• My lass and I were just on the mainland for a couple of days, and she decided to hit our fave used book shop, The Owl's Nest. I was most insanely pleased when she came home with The Laughter of Carthage, Jerusalem Commands, and The Vengeance of Rome. All from the latest printing of said books. As well she picked up a copy of Fabulous Harbors, and scored the lot for about $46. Everyone of them is in fantastic shape.

Seems my Christmas has come early this year.

Edit ---- Just managed to grab a copy of Byzantium Endures on FleaBay, so it looks like I'll be reading this series soon. Joy. Also, I didn't realize Fabulous Harbors was part of a series as well, so back to FleaBay I go, I guess. Man have I got some reading ahead of me.
        Last edited by Wanderlust; 11-04-2010, 12:12 PM.
        Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Le Guin's The Telling? That's a new one on me as well. I'll definitely have to search this out. Have to track down the DVD of The Trial as well. Is this the Orson Welles' flic?
          Last edited by Wanderlust; 11-04-2010, 12:41 PM.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Thats the one WL.
            That is one fine haul there ma man!!
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I've never seen that flic, but I'm def' going to be on the look out for it. And funny enough my lass told me today that Le Guin book is available at the second hand book shop where she got the others. I'm going to call them in the morn' and get them to set it aside for us.

Thanks for the heads up on this one folks. Love Ursula's stuff. Makes me want to break out The Word for World is Forest again.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Well done, WL and having a better half clued up on your reading lists. Mine got me a Jackie Chan DVD, when I had asked for Rush - Beyond the Lighted stage.

I have thought about going on Monday, but tighten belts and all.

http://www.rush.com/resources/php/viewStory.php?id=383
                Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• That's too bad, Pebb's. I've only seen rush once, back in '78 just after moving to Canada from Germany. The borders on the stage caught fire, and one brave roadie climbed the rigging and put the flames out while the lads lengthened a tune.

As far as my lass knowing my tastes? Rather insidious of me, I know, but turning her on to the Elric Sagas was all it took.

Edit -----

Deliriously happy me. Just called the Owl's Nest Book Shop and they still have LeGuin's, The Telling, in trade paperback for $12.44, taxes in, and has been put away in my name. Again folks, thanks for the heads up on this'n.

Between the Wars series now complete, and with the aid of Mr. Mosley I'll soon have the entirety of the Second Aether series. Just about ready to huddle down with a blankie and my pile of books for the winter.

Time to stop spending though. Landscapers don't make near the same money in the wintery wastelands.
                  Last edited by Wanderlust; 11-05-2010, 07:04 AM.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebble View Post
                    Mine got me a Jackie Chan DVD, when I had asked for Rush - Beyond the Lighted stage.
                    Thats grounds for divorce in my book Pebble!!
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                      Originally posted by Pebble View Post
                      Mine got me a Jackie Chan DVD, when I had asked for Rush - Beyond the Lighted stage.
                      Thats grounds for divorce in my book Pebble!!
                      Little does she know that I have sneaked out and got Essential Thor Volumes 2, 3 and 4 by Kirby and John Buscema (vol. 4). So I am in a forgiving mood.

Trying to finish The Lacuna so I can read The Telling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebble View Post

Trying to finish The Lacuna so I can read The Telling.
                        Do report back, agent Pebble. I'm sure you'll get this'n read before I even see my copy.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                          That's too bad, Pebb's. I've only seen rush once, back in '78 just after moving to Canada from Germany.
                          I waited until 2006 and saw them at Wembley Arena, which I am told still does have it safety certificate signed off. 3 hours of pure bliss. No support band either.

I suspect they will be in the UK with the next couple of years. I did promise eldest that she could go with me, but I am not sure if she would appreciate it as it could be a 'guy' thing.

Comment

• I took my eldest to see them in 2004 at the SECC in Glasgow and she ended up downloading all their albums.
                            Neil Peart blew her away!
                            She still likes all the usual crap as well though!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I wish they'd do those in color. I mean the marvel essentials, not Rush. They could even use cheap paper like the old days, I'd buy 'em. I mean the Marvels, not the Rush.

Comment

• The Long Goodbye, by Raymond Chandler. Love this stuff!

And now for something completely different...
                                Last week: The Daily Coyote, by Shreve Stockton. Compelling and true story of a city girl, her coyote, a cat, and a cowboy... in Wyoming. (forgot to add that part)
                                Last edited by Madrigal Rose; 11-06-2010, 09:08 AM.
                                Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
                                -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Working...
                                X