Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offer to assist with book scores

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
    Because judging by that nice wee haul you just pulled in there you are obviously a lady of refined taste!!
    I think you'll enjoy the M John Harrison.
    Like yourself i hadn't read any of his stuff until the tasteful folks here recommended it.
    Now he's one of the first names i look for
    Thanks for the compliment TF. There are some that would question how refined my taste is since my sense of humor seems to be stalled at age 12! And I hate to admit it, but I do love makeup and shoes, I just love books more!

BTW, if anyone is looking for particular books, especially pocketbooks, the bay area has a glut of used sci fi. I'd be happy to keep my eye out while feeding my own habit. I might also be game for some kind of trading.

Just a thought.
    "Run to the hills! Run for your life!" But first; nap!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lorelei View Post
      I missed that one in the image hive David, but after a closer look. Cool!
      Is there a way to insert an image from the gallery but make it thumbnail size?
      Yes, all you do is right-click on the thumbnail image and copy the 'Image Location' and then paste the URL of the thumbnail into the 'Insert Image' field, like so:

Hope that helps.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Some Wilbur Smith book. I can't remember it's name and I can't seem to find it.

Comment

My book purchases (delivered) this week:

The Jewel in the Skull (Granada, 1981)
          The Mad God's Amulet (Granada, 1982)
          The Sword of the Dawn (Granada, 1981)
          The Runestaff (Granada, 1981)
          Wizardry and Wild Romance (Gollancz, 1987)
          Fabulous Harbors (Avon, 1997)
          A Nomad of the Time Streams (Millennium, 1993)

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

A very tidy wee haul there Dave
            Mines was a bit smaller-

The Rum Diaries-HST

Greybeard-Brian Aldiss(a rec from your good self if i remember correctly)

The Mote in Gods Eye-Niven/Pournelle.

Still waiting on 2 Terry Pratchett books from Abe
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Bought, but not received,

Concrete Island - J.G. Ballard
              Highrise - J.G. Ballard

I'm currently reading Crash (its hard going, very taxing in an in your face sort of way) and Stranger in a Strange Land (which is surprisingly pleasant and may force me to reconsider my long-held opinion that Heinlein was a fascist). Hopefully, I'll finish up these reads this week and receive the other two Ballard books. I've got a week off coming starting next Friday and I would like to knock those two out along with Virconium and this Buddhist text.
              Kevin McCabe
              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Just received Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn! So that's going straight on top of the to-be-read pile.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                  Just received Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn! So that's going straight on top of the to-be-read pile.
                  Mine arrived today as well

Comment

Picked up "Transit Lounge" from an op shop for $4. Interviews, profiles and articles extracted from "21C" and "World Art" by the likes of Kathy Acker, Noam Chomsky, Sadie Plant, Survival Research Laboratories, Stelarc, Hans Moravec, Nicholas Negroponte, Philip K. Dick, David Cronenberg, the Extropians, J.G. Ballard, Frank Tippler, Theodore Roszack, Bruce Stirling, John Shirley, William S. Burroughs, William Gibson, Donna Haraway, Timoth Leary, Terence McKenna, Stelarc and Sandy Stone.

Had a quick flick through and seems quite interesting - some of it may still even be relevant!

cheers
                    Greg
                    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                    Bakunin

Comment

Just bought:
                      Sandworms of Dune (paperback)
                      and Kull: Exile of Atlantis by Howard.

They'll sit on the shelf a while like most books before being read.

Oh yeah. Had to purchase another copy of Silver Warriors, as apparently I dropped mine the other day between the house and the office and the rain ruined it. Sad, but thankfully the book is inexpensive online.
                      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

The Queen of the Swords (Granada, 1980)
                        The Land Leviathan (Granada, 1981)

(more on their way)

Comment

I bought the first 3 Dune books in Hardcover.

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                            The Mote in Gods Eye-Niven/Pournelle
                            An absolute cracker that one!

Comment

Absolutely Rothgo,i have been buried in it all weekend-Brilliant book
                              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Recently bought 'Ghor, Kin-Slayer: The Saga of Genseric's Fifth-Born Son' a round-robin containing a chapter by Mike among many others. Also got 'Live Now Pay Later' by Jack Trevor Story containing the Albert Argyle trilogy (never seen any JTS, so I grabbed it with both hands), and 'Space Captain Smith' by Toby Frost. The last one caught my eye and I thought I'd give it a try.

Of course, I also got 'The Ice Schooner' in the site auction, too.
                                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                                X