Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For reference, there are three different versions of The Ice Schooner:

1st version:

2nd version (1st revised):

3rd version (2nd revised):

This morning I bought the new Clarkson paperback, Don't Stop Me Now, at Tesco. This is a collection of his motoring columns from The Sunday Times Driving section, rather than his opinion pieces in the main newspaper. Still blazingly funny though.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Three different endings, right?

1/

2/

3/

Is that right?

Des
      Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

My tenth* copy of The Jewel in the Skull (Ace 1990 edition) arrived from eBay today. (Technically it's my 11th but I lent/gave a copy to my Dad a couple of years ago and he donated it to a charity shop.)

*Not including omnibus editions!
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Elric - To Rescue Tanelorn by Michael Moorcock
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
            Will probably tackle them after Proust's "A La Recherche du Temps Perdues", which I am, of course, reading in the original
            I did a course on advanced French reading skills at university. When we came to the end of it and were all feeling pretty pleased with ourselves, the tutor gave out a piece of Proust for us to translate. The sentences were so long that I couldn't even work out which subject went with which verb Still, Proust rocks, even if you do read it in English.

The last book I bought was the catalogue for the current Wyndham Lewis exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery. Very fine it is too. I urge anybody who happens to be floating round London whilst it's on to go and see it.

Comment

I just bought a second-hand copy for the princely sum of 79p of The Dragon and the Sea by Frank Herbert.
              Cheers to Rothgo for the recommendation
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                I did a course on advanced French reading skills at university. When we came to the end of it and were all feeling pretty pleased with ourselves, the tutor gave out a piece of Proust for us to translate. The sentences were so long that I couldn't even work out which subject went with which verb Still, Proust rocks, even if you do read it in English.
                Being as I've always been a bit crap at languages (I can order stuff / directions / pigeon chat in French and German after a few days immersion and that's about my lot) - what's the experience like reading in English (verb then the rest) c.f. many other languages (verb last)?

A tricky - possibly unfair - question as a translation ain't the same as the original. But the simple construct of "what the hell are we talking about" coming at the start or end of a sentance may or may not make a noticable change in how the experience of reading strikes one. Or not.

After that, one could go into the two different schools of translation: "closest direct translation" or "primarily retain meaning; changing idioms/references as required". I think I recall Umberto Eco saying he thought that some English translations of his stuff were better than the originals: maybe a sales technique, maybe not, maybe wrong.

Comment

How to Talk to Your Cat by Jean Craighead George via Walmart's website

and How to Toilet-Train Your Cat: 21 Days to a Litter-Free Home by Paul Kunkel via Ebay

(The Litter Kwitter program by itself doesn't seem to be working.)

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                    (Technically it's my 11th but I lent/gave a copy to my Dad a couple of years ago and he donated it to a charity shop.)

*Not including omnibus editions!
                    Are you still speaking to your father after this heinous act?
                    "Run to the hills! Run for your life!" But first; nap!sigpic

Comment

Why does a second hand bookstore always lure me to spend money I don't have? Why can't I be a normal girly girl and buy shoes and makeup?
                      I checked out a new, to me anyway, bookstore in Berkeley hoping to feed my addiction a wee bit. Zoinks! I ended up binging again!

The inexpensive part of the binge was a whole bunch of comics I got mainly for the cover art; a bunch of Batmans, a fairly decent Batgirl, some Ascensions that just looked interesting and I could not resist, Bella Donna!
                      Hee Hee!

So here's the rest of the loot:

Sandman- Dream Hunters!!!!!!

Harry Harrison-Bill the Galactic Hero & Planet of no Return
                      M. John Harrison- Light (a bunch of people have recommended this but I've never read his stuff)
                      Jonathan Carroll-Glass Soup
                      Mary Renault-The Charioteer (haven't read anything from her in ages. It was 50 cents!)
                      Then the big Mike score!!!!!!! I wanted to clean them out because they had tons of older paperbacks with great covers, but I couldn't afford it all!
                      There was one Corum book from the 80's that had him looking like a oddly squat viking! Crazy!

So I was able to get the second series of Courum books with the groovy original 70's psychedelic covers as well as a later copy with a cover by Patrick Woodroffe I couldn't resist. Only photo I could find was too big to post hers so here's a link:http://bp0.blogger.com/_XhAzekAG0tg/...e+Stallion.jpg
                      But wait, there's more: I got Silverheart & King of the City in pristine hardbound copies. In paperback, The City and the Autumn Stars, Behold The Man and a fabulous lancer 1965 copy of The Lord of the Spiders. Cover is so cool. Again, a link will have to suffice! http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/...es-of-mars.htm

I'm like a kid on Christmas; a very poor kid the day after Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorelei View Post
                        Why can't I be a normal girly girl and buy shoes and makeup?
                        Because judging by that nice wee haul you just pulled in there you are obviously a lady of refined taste!!
                        I think you'll enjoy the M John Harrison.
                        Like yourself i hadn't read any of his stuff until the tasteful folks here recommended it.
                        Now he's one of the first names i look for
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

That sounds like an incredible score! Its rare for me to find more than two or three of Mike's books at a local store (used or new!)
                          Kevin McCabe
                          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by Lorelei View Post
                            Then the big Mike score!!!!!!! I wanted to clean them out because they had tons of older paperbacks with great covers, but I couldn't afford it all!
                            There was one Corum book from the 80's that had him looking like a oddly squat viking! Crazy!

So I was able to get the second series of Courum books with the groovy original 70's psychedelic covers as well as a later copy with a cover by Patrick Woodroffe I couldn't resist. Only photo I could find was too big to post hers so here's a link:http://bp0.blogger.com/_XhAzekAG0tg/...e+Stallion.jpg
                            But wait, there's more: I got Silverheart & King of the City in pristine hardbound copies. In paperback, The City and the Autumn Stars, Behold The Man and a fabulous lancer 1965 copy of The Lord of the Spiders. Cover is so cool. Again, a link will have to suffice! http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/...es-of-mars.htm
                            So, I take it you haven't discovered our own collection of book covers in the Image Hive then?

Comment

New copy of this arrived today to replace a less pristine copy I bought earlier in the year. I'm adding the old copy to my MDSS list along with the copies of vols. 4-6 & 8-9 that are also going begging.

Comment

I'd be doin' backflips if I could.....

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                                So, I take it you haven't discovered our own collection of book covers in the Image Hive then?

I missed that one in the image hive David, but after a closer look. Cool!
                                Is there a way to insert an image from the gallery but make it thumbnail size?

My addiction paid off in a big way today, weel it actually cost me, but not much! I'd be doing backflips if I were able.

I was coming back from lunch and decided to nose around one of my favorite book haunts since my car was parked in front of it! I've cleaned out ost of their Moorcock paperbacks, but on a lark I decided to look under, Edward P. Bradbury AND Original Lancer 1966 printings of "Barbarians of Mars" and "Blades of Mars!!!" How freakin' cool is that!!!! They are in pretty good shape too considering they're older than I am. Come to think of it, they're in better shape than I am, although I hope I don't smell as musty! One was marked $7 & the other one $4! He marked the $7 one down to $5. Crazy!!!!!!

Less vault-worthy scores Were more Harry Harrison. First edition "The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You" and Second printing (cause it smelled better than the first ed. copy they had) of "The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge," and a copy of Zelazny's "The Immortal," with cheesy cover art!

Comment

Working...
                                X