Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Like David, I recently bought a copy of I Am Legend online, though I hadn't yet seen the movie. Since ordering it, I took the time to watch the movie. Now I am debating whether I will bother with the book. To me, the movie was sorely disappointing. Before it was over, I threw my support in with the zombies, saying things like, "Get 'im! Get 'im!"
    The book of I am Legend is so far superior to the film that it is almost shameful tha they share the same title. Apart from the special effects of an "dead" New York the film has so little to offer where as the book is completely superb.

READ THE BOOK

cheers
    Greg
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

Thank you, Groakes. I appreciate the information. You saved me the cost of a paperback. I Am Legend would have wound up a trade-in without being read, otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
        Those covers are really attractive, I've never come across those. Who are the artists?
        First artist (TSoS) is believed to be Jeff Jones, the second (CB) is Ezra Tucker.

See the Image Hive for other great covers.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The Pile Awaits!

I've been chipping away at the PILE, but here are the results of my most recent book store binges as yet unread or unshelved:

Michael Moorcock: The Cornelius Quartet (Big score! All 4 in one nice fat volume; yummy!)

A few odd ones from the used bookstore shelves:
          Dorothy Bryant: Myths to Live By
          Dorothy Bryant: The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You (For shelf. Have read a couple of times but the groovy 70's cover was too cool too pass on!)
          Arthur C Clarke: The Songs of Distant Earth
          Thomas M. Disch: Camp Concentration (Just in time for a re-read as my copy is in tatters!)
          A couple of more recent books by Ray Bradbury:
          The Cat's Pajamas
          Let's All Kill Constance
          Stephen King (Richard Bachman): Blaze
          Christopher Moore: You Suck; A Love Story
          Larry Niven: The Integral Trees (Cool Cover! by Michael Whelan):

That might keep me busy (or not) for a couple of weeks.
          "Run to the hills! Run for your life!" But first; nap!sigpic

Comment

A few excellent additions there Lorelei
            The Cornelius books go without saying.
            Lets all Kill Constance i have been trying to get my hands on for ages
            Integral Trees is just as good inside as outside
            Funnily enough,yesterday i picked up The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury and Glory Season by David Brin
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
              A few excellent additions there Lorelei
              The Cornelius books go without saying.
              I haven't read all of them so I am diggin' it! I need a slight reprieve though. At the same time I scored the HUGE "Great Book of Amber" with all 10 of the Amber chronicles in it and I just finished it after about 5 days of not coming up for air! That was cool to read them straight through! It's been a while & I forgot how much I liked them. I'd completely forgotton about the Sphinx thing, "What's green & red & goes around and around and around." LOL FINALLY, that joke is funny!

Lets all Kill Constance i have been trying to get my hands on for ages
              Try half.com (eBay) TF I saw a NEW copy for 75 cents plus S&H
              http://product.half.ebay.com/Lets-Al...17171QQtgZinfo

Integral Trees is just as good inside as outside
              Funnily enough,yesterday i picked up The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury and Glory Season by David Brin
              Oooh. I just finished re-reading Martian Chronicles. I've read it several times over the years and I always come up with something new to think about. David Brin is one of those writers I keep meaning to pick up books by & haven't managed to yet. Any suggestions of where to start?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorelei View Post

Oooh. I just finished re-reading Martian Chronicles. I've read it several times over the years and I always come up with something new to think about. David Brin is one of those writers I keep meaning to pick up books by & haven't managed to yet. Any suggestions of where to start?
                Cool,am looking forward to The Martian Chronicles even more now!!
                For Mr Brin,if you want to get a taste of his stuff he did a great selection of short stories called Otherness.
                Then there is his amazing Uplift series starting with Sundiver.
                Thanks for the pointer on 'Constance',i will check it out later-Nice 1
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Bought all four of Mishima Yukio's "Sea of Fertility" books. Will probably tackle them after Proust's "A La Recherche du Temps Perdues", which I am, of course, reading in the original

Des
                  Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Just ordered Michael Moorcock's Multiverse by a player to be named later.
                    Kevin McCabe
                    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

My better half just came in the door after a charity shop binge and she found me a copy of The Ice Schooner by our Leader.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

My better half just came in the door after a charity shop binge and she found me a copy of The Ice Schooner by our Leader.
                        It's obvious you've got a keeper there TF! Congratulations!

Comment

I bought a copy of 'The Ice Schooner' today, tf! This one -

I already have these -

I just couldn't resist. I thought 'Well, I've got those others, I might as well get this.'

I also bought 'The Company of Glory' by Edgar Pangborn, 'Traces' by Stephen Baxter, and 'Senor Nice' by Howard Marks
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Ha!!Spooky Gov
                            The one i got was the Mayflower one and its one of the few of Mikes books i've not read before
                            Cheers Lorelei,im going to get her something tomorrow,just dont know what yet
                            Mr Nice is a brilliant read Gov,he tells the story well and its amazing the stuff he got away with before eventually getting caught.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Cool! Its a great book.
                              I plan on ordering Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn tomorrow. I can't wait to get it.
                              "The world is such-and-such or so-and-so only because we tell ourselves that that is the way it is. If we stop telling ourselves that the world is so-and-so, the world will stop being so-and-so." - don Juan

Comment

At the thrift store last week, I found both sets of the Thomas Covenant books, minus the first book of the first series and the last book of the second series. No book 1, no book 6 - that's how it goes with thrift stores. You might say there is no beginning and there is no end at the thrift store.

Comment

Working...
                                X