Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up a couple of old sci-fi magazines today called 'Astounding Science Fiction',one from October 1944 and the other from November 1945.
    They both had early Asimov stories in them that went on to be in Foundation.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Used copy of Eye of Cat by Roger Zelazny and a couple of used Squadron/Signal Armor books: Panther in action and PzKpfw IV in action.

The prob with the armor books is that now, I want to go buy some more armor models, build 'em and put 'em in some dioramas.

Man, I ain't got the time or the room for that anymore!
      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• Just ordered "Israel's Occupation" by Neve Gordon from Barnes and Noble. Probably take a week. Looks like a left analysis:

Synopsis

This first complete history of Israel's occupation of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip allows us to see beyond the smoke screen of politics in order to make sense of the dramatic changes that have developed on the ground over the past forty years. Looking at a wide range of topics, from control of water and electricity to health care and education as well as surveillance and torture, Neve Gordon's panoramic account reveals a fundamental shift from a politics of life--when, for instance, Israel helped Palestinians plant more than six-hundred thousand trees in Gaza and provided farmers with improved varieties of seeds--to a macabre politics characterized by an increasing number of deaths. Drawing attention to the interactions, excesses, and contradictions created by the forms of control used in the Occupied Territories, Gordon argues that the occupation's very structure, rather than the policy choices of the Israeli government or the actions of various Palestinian political factions, has led to this radical shift.

Publishers Weekly

Applying the work of Michel Foucault to the contemporary Middle East, this highly theoretical book examines the "means of control used to manage" the Palestinian population in the Occupied Territories of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. Gordon, a professor of politics at Ben-Gurion University, begins by exploring the diffuse mechanisms of power-in the political, civilian, geographical and economic arenas-used to normalize the occupation in its first years, making the ostensibly temporary occupation permanent. Later chapters take a more specific historical approach, examining a series of events that radically transformed these power structures: the first intifada, the Oslo Accords and the second intifada, which, the author argues, required a reorganization of Israeli power in the Occupied Territories, leading to the disregard of the Palestinians inhabiting those territories. Gordon focuses on the treatment of Palestinians in the Occupied Territories and writes for a decidedly scholarly audience; as a result, the book's usefulness beyond academics will likely be limited. (Nov.)
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Picked up copies of Dunsany's Gods, Men, and Ghosts, and Tey's The Daughter of Time.
          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post
            Used copy of Eye of Cat by Roger Zelazny and a couple of used Squadron/Signal Armor books: Panther in action and PzKpfw IV in action.

The prob with the armor books is that now, I want to go buy some more armor models, build 'em and put 'em in some dioramas.

Man, I ain't got the time or the room for that anymore!
            You could always go 1/48 - or just get rid of all that German rubbish....
            Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
            Bakunin

Comment

• Got Neil Gaimans 'The Graveyard Book' as a pressie from my better half today.
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• The Brothel in Rosenstrasse hc via eBay.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• just found a copy of Downbelow Station by Cherryh at a fantastic used bookstore in Champaign. It used to be a house, and now the entire building is filled with books and art.
                  'I'm flossing, using prodigious amounts of mouthwash, and biding my time' http://librariaint.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I just finished "The Crossing" by Cormac MacCarthy and lately I've been reading "Omerta" by Mario Puzo. I used a gift card to get the Del Rey's "Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melnibone" though and it's been distracting me from Omerta

Comment

• This afternoon i managed to pick up a copy of The War Amongst the Angels(Orion) for the princely sum of £1.25!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I bought "Fatal Revenant" by Stephen Donaldson.

I read the old Thomas Covenant books many years ago, so I couldn't resist buying this.

Fatal Revenant is the second book in the last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Comment

• I got a Christmas present from a friend of mine yesterday. An autographed copy of Jim Butcher's Small Favor
                          Mutant Ill-Tempered Sea Bass Player

Comment

• Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
                            I bought "Fatal Revenant" by Stephen Donaldson.

I read the old Thomas Covenant books many years ago, so I couldn't resist buying this.

Fatal Revenant is the second book in the last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
                            Ahhh.....must get this one.
                            I have read the first one(The Runes of the Earth) and it was excellent!!
                            Is this just out?

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I just found myself an original 1969 copy of "The Black Corridor" and "the Sundered Worlds" (1966)! While I was at it I picked up "Eyeless in Gaza"(1936) and "Brave New World" (1998) by Aldous Huxley!
                              "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• All good VA!!
                                Speaking of A.H i picked up a copy of After Many a Summer Dies the Swan on Saturday there.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X