Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a few books today.
    Captive Universe by Harry Harrison,
    The Black Room by Colin Wilson and A month of Sundays by John Updike.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Last week I picked up Kant for Beginners (one of those illustrated series). I started it but gave up as i couldnt understand it. I also bought one about wittgenstein which no doubt will make even less sense to me. I got gene wolfe's book of the new sun series which i've just started in to, i should be able to manage this i think.
      Currently reading:

Comment

• Bought Martin Millar's "Lonely Werewolf Girl" new. Which is unusual as I generally only buy second hand books. But I was taken in by the blurb on the back when I was killing time in Borders. Chalk one up for marketing writer on that one I guess.

It's very a engaging book though, sort of like an Iain Banks Crow Road type saga but with werewolves. The writing is tad simplistic, and the accents aren't strong enough to satisfy me as to the werewolves being distinctly Scottish, but so far it's very enjoyable read.

The missus keeps nicking it when I'm not looking so I have Michael Chabon's Yiddish Policeman's Union on standby....
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

• Sounds good Groakes.
          Speaking of Banks,yesterday i picked up a copy of Whit one of the few of his books i havent read yet so im looking forward to getting my teeth into that one!!
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Hey TF, based on your record you can give us a review sometime tomorrow....
            Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
            Bakunin

Comment

• Recently acquired (through the usual sources) copies of the Cape '92 paperback editions of Byzantium Endures and The Laughter of Carthage.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Originally posted by Groakes View Post
                Hey TF, based on your record you can give us a review sometime tomorrow....

Will the next day do?

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                  Recently acquired (through the usual sources) copies of the Cape '92 paperback editions of Byzantium Endures and The Laughter of Carthage.
                  Forgot* I'd also bought a copy of the Cape '92 paperback of Jerusalem Commands until it turned up in the post this morning.

*Mainly because I got my wife to buy it with her eBay account rather than mine.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Bought in a cheapy shop in Skipton John Meaney's Dark Blood in trade paperback, follow up to his excellent Bone Song and a couple of Adam Roberts - Land of the Headless & Swiftly and just before that from Amazon.com - Mad Scientist's Tally Ho! Cornelius.

BTW, Groakes, isn't Martin Millar the author of the Thraxas series (under a nom de plume)?
                    Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elwher View Post
                      BTW, Groakes, isn't Martin Millar the author of the Thraxas series (under a nom de plume)?
                      That be him - though I haven't read any of them.
                      Bakunin

Comment

• I just picked up a copy of Among The Dead Cities by A.C. Grayling which i believe looks at the ethics/morality of the allied bombing of germany and japan in WW2. Looks interesting...
                        Currently reading:

Comment

• Got battered copies of the Phoenix House omnibuses The Cornelius Chronicles and A Cornelius Calendar on eBay. At 99p each they were a bit of a bargain, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay much more for them anyway since I don't ever intend reading them. Mind you it cost me nearly £7 to get them posted to me.

Comment

• Picked up copies of a couple of Edgar Rice Burroughs books earlier.
                            Lost on Venus and Master Mind of Mars.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Now wait for last year
                              by PK Dick
                              I think it has all the elements of an early Dick book.Divorce,a damn ex wife,sexy chicks,secret agents,robot taxi,helicopters,replicas,alternate realities,deaths that are no deaths...etc etc...

Comment

• Today I got copies of:

Elric: Duke Elric (Advance Uncorrected Proof) - Michael Moorcock (source: eBay)
                                The Yiddish Policeman's Union (paperback) - Michael Chabon
                                Watchmen (hardcover, digitally recoloured edition) - Moore & Gibbons (ready for the SF Message Board's Winter Book Group Read)
                                The Doctor Who Storybook 2009 (was looking for the Official 2009 Annual for my daughter but this was all Waterstones had left - and it was the last copy - so bought it just to be on the safe side... )

This I didn't buy but I was given London Orbital (Iain Sinclair) yesterday as a Boxing Day present.

Comment

Working...
                                X