Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the last book you bought?

If you're anything like me you probably buy more books than you can comfortably read. Perhaps you intend to read them one day, maybe you do, but equally there's a chance that you'll never end up reading them because of your pile of 'books to be read first'. As such, these books probably won't feature in the 'What Book Are You Reading Now?' thread, so here's a chance to mention that book which you would read now if you weren't busy reading some other book and didn't have 237 more books waiting to be read first.

I picked up a copy of Richard Matherson's I Am Legend (SF Masterworks edition) in Oxfam at the weekend. Always wanted to read it, but can't see me doing so for some time yet, though I had a quick flick through it on Saturday.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    If you're anything like me you probably buy more books than you can comfortably read. Perhaps you intend to read them one day, maybe you do, but equally there's a chance that you'll never end up reading them because of your pile of 'books to be read first'.
    David, you are so very right!
    In this context - the book on top is Simplify Your Life! (by ?) and I think not getting round to reading those books has to do with my having to simplify my life...

Then there's Ballard's Empire of the Sun
    Fish! A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
    Coelho's The Manual of the Warrior of Light
    and three others
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Paddington Here And Now by Michael Bond.
      Nearly finished it too: which, as David points out, can be rare for a recently bought book!

Comment

La carta esferica
        by Arturo Perez Reverte

I was thinking to buy Nostromo but then again I am currently reading another classic(The catcher in the rye)and I can find Nostromo for just 3 euros in english.I also have Moby Dick waiting to be read but I don't know if summer is the best season to spend hours reading about hunting whales.

I also bought
        The Byzantine Wars

Comment

That's what I love about this site: hanging around with other people who do what I do and buy far more books than can be comfortably read.

Sadly, I still live in denial and tell myself daily that I will one day read them. At this point, only an accident that leaves me on disability for life will likely allow me to get even halfway through my reading.

Towards that end I have tried to slow down what I buy (Moorcock books and Doctor Who books excepted... and role-playing books. Drat!)

Last books I bought:
          Novel: Wooden Heart; Sting of the Zygons, the Last Dodo (all Doctor Who)
          RPG: Slaves of Pan Tang or something (in my defense, I ordered the new Magic of the Young Kingdoms book by Mongoose and somehow ended up with this. Not sure how that happened... bought it anyway.)
          GRaphic Novel: Nova (vol. 1)
          Last edited by J-Sun; 07-22-2008, 09:31 AM.
          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Me too, I buy far more than I read - aiming to read them in my retirement! Latest purchase was High Sorcery by Andre Norton second hand - I bought it for the Witch World story Ully the Piper. As a side project I am trying to put the Witch World stories into one timeline - why? because I can (as an aside this has temporarily stopped further work on the wikiverse!)
            Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

Non-Fiction:

The Island of Seven Cities: Where the Chinese Settled When They Discovered America

RPGs/Wargames:

Monsternomicon II
              Warmachine
              - Escalation
              - Superiority
              - Pirates
              Hordes: Primal
              - Evolution
              Steam & Steel
              Doom Stalkers
              Aerial Adventures
              Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

My last two buys were from a musty old charity shop when i was in Liverpool at the weekend.
                They were Time is the Simplest Thing and Aliens For Neighbours by Clifford Simak.
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Technically I brought these before the I Am Legend but due to the vageries of eBay and the US/UK postal services I only received these today:

Needless to say, I've already read them, so they'll go on my pile of 'No need to be read' books.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

...they'll go on my pile of 'No need to be read' books.
                    Ah! A subcategory of Unpickupagainable books.
                    Neverpickupinthefirstplaceable books.

Des
                    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Those covers are really attractive, I've never come across those. Who are the artists?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                        Neverpickupinthefirstplaceable books
                        Strangely enough Des,i cant seem to find this in Wikipaedia either!
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                          Ah! A subcategory of Unpickupagainable books.
                          Neverpickupinthefirstplaceable books.

Des
                          Or how about the new category of "readoverandoveragainable" books? I discovered my copy of Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle missing, so I had to go out and purchase a new copy so I could read it again - Just like I do with many of MM's books.

Last edited by Gilgamesh; 07-23-2008, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Technically I brought these before the I Am Legend but due to the vageries of eBay and the US/UK postal services I only received these today:

Needless to say, I've already read them, so they'll go on my pile of 'No need to be read' books.
                            Oh hey. My copy of the Champion of Garathorm matches that Count Brass. How about that.
                            "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                            --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Like David, I recently bought a copy of I Am Legend online, though I hadn't yet seen the movie. Since ordering it, I took the time to watch the movie. Now I am debating whether I will bother with the book. To me, the movie was sorely disappointing. Before it was over, I threw my support in with the zombies, saying things like, "Get 'im! Get 'im!"
                              Last edited by Gilgamesh; 07-24-2008, 06:38 AM. Reason: punctuation, grammar

Comment

Working...
                              X