Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Ender - Orson Scott Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ender - Orson Scott Card

Hey:

So what do others think of the "Ender" series? I am trying to slog my way through the third novel, having read the first two and a collection entitled "First Meetings in the Enderverse" (which must be one of the worst book titles ever, even for a collection).

I have an opinion, even at this early stage in my reading - but perhaps I'll hold back to let others voice their opinions before I give utterance to my own obnoxiously opinionated views. I did enjoy the first novel, even though I found some portions of it quite predictable.

It's my understanding that this series is to be made into a movie, but I am not that knowledgeable about that subject.

I have read the first four of the Ender books:

Ender’s Game
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind

I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books. The thing I remember the most about Xenocide was the planet of obsessive-compulsive geniuses. Children of the Mind was a little peculiar. I didn’t go on to read anymore of these books simply because I had grown a little tired of it all, plus I have this ever-growing list of books to read.

Not much of a review, I know, other than to say that I liked each book a little less than the previous.

I also tried reading some of Card’s Alvin books. I liked Seventh Son, but quickly lost interest in the second book.

Comment

Movie Update - February 10, 2004 from hatrack.com:

X-Men 2 Writers Signed for the Ender Screenplay
      Variety Magazine announced on 10 February that Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty, the writing team that created the X-Men 2 screenplay, have been hired by Warner Brothers to write the second draft of the Ender's Game screenplay. …

"And of course I'll be available to them to help them in any way I can," Card promises. "We all have the same goal: To get a great movie into the theaters. With Wolfgang Petersen slated to direct and Warner Brothers executives committed to backing this project to the hilt, I believe that we couldn't have a better team." …

As to when the movie will come out, Card says, "It's way too early even to guess about that. The second draft isn't even written yet. And even when we get a script that everyone thinks is perfect, there's still the problem of casting and, of course, making everything fit with everyone's schedule."

Comment

Read the first one, it was great. Haven't read the others, but that was through ignorance not choice.

Are the others any good?

Comment

I've read the first two books and have the third one lying around waiting to be read. I have also read Ender's Shadow, a parrallel story to Ender's Game. I have enjoyed the books that I read, though I can find fault with them.

I aproached these books not expecting much and I was pleasantly surprised. I definetly found the second book in the series more interesting than the first, and I liked Ender's Shadow better than either one.

S. Ombre

Comment

Working...
          X