Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Recommended: LIFE OF PI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended: LIFE OF PI

(Great idea that we have this section. Was it your idea, von Weiner?)

Hello all,
    I suggest we start a new thread for each book or publication we recommend to avoid endlessly long threads where everyone lobs in yet another recommendation - which then would be lost among the immense output of comments and witty retorts.

That said, here goes:

I would like to recommend one of the books that thrilled me most last year:
    LIFE OF PI by Yann Martel

Life of Pi (winner of the 2002 Booker Prize) is the story of a 16-year old Indian boy adrift at sea for 227 days with only a dangerous Bengal tiger for a companion. Pi Patel's journey, and survival through the use of his wits and sheer determination, is one that grabs you and never lets go. We have to do with master story telling and a tale woven that is entertaining and deeply philosophical and at the end ... no, I'm not going to tell you!

further info:
    http://www.canongate.net/list/glp.taf?_p=6644

About the Author (found at: http://www.randomhouse.ca/newface/martel.php)

Yann Martel was born in Spain in 1963 of peripatetic Canadian parents. He grew up in Alaska, British Columbia, Costa Rica, France, Ontario and Mexico, and has continued travelling as an adult, spending time in Iran, Turkey and India. After studying philosophy at Trent University and while doing various odd jobs—tree planting, dishwashing, working as a security guard—he began to write. (...) He has been living from his writing since the age of 27. He divides his time between yoga, writing and volunteering in a palliative care unit. Yann Martel lives in Montreal.

Enjoy it,
    L'Etranger
    Google ergo sum

I had created the "Provocative Literature" thread back on Feb. 01 and when I saw this forum, I thought it would be good in here. So I posted that, and Berry, being the web-masta that he is, put it here within minutes. The forum was Berry's idea though.

That book sounds really good. Another one I'll have to keep my eyes on the look out for.

Looks like I'll have to keep a pad of paper next to my computer to write these books down. :D
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Just like to second the recommendation for this little gem...absolutely lovely book....somehow there's a smile on nearly every page...got me some funny looks on the train to work in the mornings, I can tell ya!

Comment

Life of Pi

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I thought it was beautifully written with a nice little unexpected (at least for me) twist at the end.

Even though the book reviews and descriptions reveal Pi’s survival of being stranded at sea for 227 days, I was still on the edge of my seat as I turned each page wondering how this boy was going to make it to see the next day. And the next. And the next. And yet, the story of his days at sea never succumbs to monotony.

Yes, Pi survives this ordeal, but the ending in no way left me with a happy and warm feeling. Far from it. In fact, I kept turning it over in my head when I tried to go to sleep afterwards. I felt kind of sad and, I don’t know, kind of dazed.

Copied from Movies.com:
        Based on the novel by Yann Martel, this adventure story will mark two firsts for M. Night Shyamalan: the writer-director's first book adaptation and his first non-Disney movie following his breakthrough, The Sixth Sense. The story is about Pi Patel, a zookeeper's son who leaves India with his family to make a new home in Canada. They hop aboard a ship, but it sinks, and Pi is left adrift on the ocean with a zebra, a hyena, an orangutan, and a tiger.

Comment

Working...
        X