Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Highest Appreciation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highest Appreciation?

Anybody have any idea which book from an sf author in modern times (say the last 40 years or so) has appreciated most in value? The reason I ask is that seeing an old fanzine ad for Dean Koontz's never-reprinted non-fiction paperback The Pig Society prompted me to do some digging on the current value. It originally sold at $2.95 in 1970 and is now valued at anything from $500-1000. That's some increase!

Last edited by Marca; 12-16-2006, 02:20 AM.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Here's a bit on the history of Pig Society from an old Canadian fanzine that itself is going for mere $1500 (wtf?), anyway:

Energumen #8, Canada This rare fanzine includes the article, Dean"s Drive , by Dean Koontz. It is in this article that Dean discusses writing 30 books of erotic literature and he is gracious enough to provide some of the titles of these books. From Dean"s Drive in Energumen 8 : "Next I became involved in writing p*rn. Gerda and I collaborated--since my love has such a true sense of the obscene--to produce 30 p*rn titles ranging from such peaks of erudition as THIRTEEN AND READY and ORAL ORACLE to SWAPPER"S CONVENTION and LAY ME DOWN, BUT NOT TO DIE . (yes.) Six months of this provided us with an overwhelmingly healthy bank account. Each book required three days to write and brought an average of $650 reward. Since my own time was often only a day in the construction of each epic, I was provided with plenty of time to write sf that I wanted to write. But after 30 titles, we had neither the inclination or the stomach to continue, and we dropped out of the p*rn market. Aside from providing us the resource to pay off old debts and to buy a piece of land for, some day, the construction of a lodge, we got nothing form the ordeal. It gave us the opportunity to write the non-fiction PIG SOCIETY which fit in the p*rn publisher"s legit line, and we are proud of that book." Dean discusses other things including an editor losing the script for BEASTCHILD he had submitted, and prevented him selling the story to Venture and Lancer, until the editor found the manuscript lost in her office. Dean article explains what a young writer must do to earn a living even if it is to write things he doesn"t care about, such as erotic literature. Interesting article in this Hugo-winning fanzine. This fanzine is a must for the serious Koontz collector that has collected any of his rare erotic literature. With this fanzine and article, you have clear proof that Dean wrote erotic literature and 30 some different titles.
    "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I dealt with the seller of that fanzine several years ago when purchasing a couple of Philip Jose Farmer books. That is some price for a fanzine, kind of dwarfs the value of Pig Society doesn't it...?
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Must've been the bulk blotter edition
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Originally posted by Marca
          Anybody have any idea which book from an sf author in modern times (say the last 40 years or so) has appreciated most in value?
          If you stretch the genre to include Fantasy, it has to be JK Rowling:

A copy of the rarest Rowling first edition - the hardback version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - has already been sold at Sotheby's for £10,575 (http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...36298,00.html)
          I wonder if it will hold its value?

Comment

Working...
          X