Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Help remembering time travel novel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help remembering time travel novel.

When I was in school I read an amazing time travel novel. I can remember the details of the story but can't recall the name of the book or the author. I was hoping that somebody might be able to help me remember!

In the story time travel was possible by entering a sort of coccoon-like pod which would then project you through time. I have a vague recollection that only backwards travel was possible, but might have this bit wrong.

The further away from your starting time that you went, the less distinct that your surroundings would become, the less "real". Furthermore, if you met travellers who had started their journey from a time far removed from your own, they would likewise seem ghostlike and insubstantial. The closer your starting times were, the easier it was for you interact with other travellers. The novel described it like talking to someone through thick, smoky glass.

There was also a sort of "common ground" that travellers would walk upon, as if the universe had a floor and reality sat upon this floor. When far removed from your own time, you would be walking around on this weird floor as opposed to the landscape of the time that you were visiting.

There were also a few sex scenes where the travellers were from relatively close points of origin, with the emotional and physical sensations being slightly dulled due to the fact that the lovers were from different times and so couldn't interact fully with each other.

The most interesting aspect of the novel, though, was the revelation that time was flowing in the opposite direction to that which we believed it to. So the future was actually the past and vice versa. The characters travel to the beginning of time, only to discover that it is actually the end (or was it the other way around, lol!)

Anyway, I do recall that the author's surname began with an early letter in the alphabet (probably an A or a B), as the book was in that part of the library.

It has been over 20 years since I read the novel and I still think about it often. I'd love to be able to remember who wrote it and what it was called and get myself a copy.

Can anybody help?!
    The name that can be named is not the true name.

Cryptozoic, by Brian Aldiss, also published under the title "An Age".
    Last edited by Mario; 09-24-2006, 12:05 PM.
    Best/Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Mario
      Cryptozoic, by Brian Aldiss, also published under the title "An Age".
      Yes!!! Oh yes, that's it!!!

Thankyou so much - 24 years of waiting over at last!!

Comment

Just ordered a used copy from Amazon (allegedly in "very good" condition, but I'm not fussy) for the princely sum of one hundred new pence. They had them for as cheap as a penny, but I figured that I might as well splash out after all these years. Why not live a little, eh?

Comment

Working...
        X