Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Any authours similar to MM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peacefulpie
    Nomad of the Time Streams
    • Sep 2020

Any authours similar to MM?

Title.
  • postodave
    Citizen of Tanelorn
    • Jul 2011

No. He is unique and those influenced by him tend to be very individual. I think Neil Gaimen learned a lot from him and sometimes Paul Magrs reminds me of Mike. Magrs Iris Wildthyme has become a template for other writers in the way Jerry Cornelis did a generation before.

Looking back the other way there are great writers who influenced Mike like Robert Howard or Poul Anderson - for example the concepts of law and chaos can be found in Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, but Mike develops these in a very different way. Catherine Moore's Jirel of Joiry stories are well worth a read, they have the hallucinogenic quality which makes Mike so different from say Howard. Also Fritz Leiber whose Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories influenced Elric.

Comment

• Rothgo
      Champion of the Unbalanced
      • Aug 2006

For an author who's ideas have been copied so many times, there aren't any effective copies of the man's writing per se. Turns out its not as easy as it looks...

Comment

• postodave
        Citizen of Tanelorn
        • Jul 2011

Ruth Rendell said of Moorcock "He shares one remarkable quality with such disparate giants as Trollope and Proust: when we read him we want more and have no appetite, at least for a while, for anyone else's fiction. He casts a heady, enslaving spell."

Comment

• Grog
          Moonbeam Traveller
          • Jul 2021

Does anyone here have any idea what fantasy series could be described as the best Moorcock-series that Moorcock never wrote? I mean, similiar to how, for example, one could describe A Quest for Simbilis by Michael Shea as the best Jack Vance-novel that Vance never wrote. Any idea what series that might be?

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
            Eternal Champion
            • Oct 2004

Got to be Bryan Talbot's, 'The Adventures of Luther Arkwright'

Comment

• Grog
              Moonbeam Traveller
              • Jul 2021

Thank you for responding, Pietro Mercurios. Unfortunately, Bryan Talbot is not the author I'm looking for. I know this because he doesn't fit certain facts I know about the person that wrote the series in question. Any other ideas?

Comment

• Navigator
                Chaos Engineer
                • Jun 2010

It depends on what you mean by similar. In my opinion there are no other writers that compare to Mike’s talent to write descriptive prose and intermingle action and mind blowing concepts in a flowing form.

However, another aspect of Mike’s writing is his creation of all an encompassing cosmology that is deceptively simple until it is dwelled upon and pondered, at which point it flowers in the mind of the reader into an exquisite and uniquely colorful construct. I think you will find among Moorcock fans that many of us recognize others that accomplish this sort of thing, although perhaps not with Mike’s eloquence.

For me, Roger Zelazny accomplished a comparable feat with The Amber Chronicles. In just a handful of books he gave us a “multiverse” that readily encompasses the observable and invisible realms in a way that is mind boggling. All of the time I have spent reading Moorcock and Zelazny does not compare to the time I have spent pondering their creations and the beautiful ways they seem to answer ages old questions about existence.

I am sure others here, who have read volumes more than I, could give more examples of writers who have touched on infinite worlds in intimate ways. But this is just my two cents on what makes Mike such a giant.
                I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
                  Eternal Champion
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Grog View Post
                  Thank you for responding, Pietro Mercurios. Unfortunately, Bryan Talbot is not the author I'm looking for. I know this because he doesn't fit certain facts I know about the person that wrote the series in question. Any other ideas?
                  You seem to have something quite specific in mind. What would that be?

Comment

• Rothgo
                    Champion of the Unbalanced
                    • Aug 2006

Wasn't the question about the series, not the author?

Comment

• Grog
                      Moonbeam Traveller
                      • Jul 2021

Okay, I think it's time I tell you all I know about this fantasy series, or rather its author. You might have guessed by now that I'm not looking for a reading recommendation. As I wrote in the introduction thread, I haven't read anything of Moorcock's work, yet. So I'm not looking for new reading material because I've run out of Moorcock books to read. His entire body of work still lies ahead of me, and btw, I am looking forward to it. But this is about something else. It's more like I'm trying to solve a puzzle.

So, there's this person who thinks that A Quest for Simbilis is the best Jack Vance-novel that Vance never wrote. This person also claims that, similarly, there is a fantasy series that could be described as the best Michael Moorcock-series that Moorcock never wrote. There is some additional information in the text that contains these claims from which one can infer some facts about the person who wrote this mysterious series. Unfortunately, these facts are weirdly specific and are much more helpful in determining who hasn't written the series than in fnding out who has...

What I know is that the author in question either was born or died in June and that either the year of his birth or the year of his death has either a 1 or a 6 as the last digit. That's how I know it can't be Bryan Talbot. Bryan Talbot is still alive and he was born in 1952. There is also a number of authors that I can eliminate outright, regardless of their date of birth or death. I can't tell you their names off the top of my head but if you'd like to know I could make a list of those authors. There are quite a few of them.

And before you ask, I'm going to adress the elephant in the room: there are various reasons why I don't just ask the person outright which fantasy series they are talking about.
                      Well, I hope this information helps you help me. Thank you very much for all the responses so far and those yet to come.
                      Last edited by Grog; 07-17-2021, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X