Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Classic Short Stories are Really Ideal for the eBook, Tablet, or Mobile Phone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Short Stories are Really Ideal for the eBook, Tablet, or Mobile Phone.

A month or two ago, I accidentally broke the screen of my Sony T3 eReader. After a weekend of regret, for being so stupid & a certain amount of grieving, because there is no better piece of electronics to take on a camping expedition (apart from a torch), I decided to buy a new screen on Ali-Baba (€17.99 including postage & packing). After reading some handy websites & watching a few tutorial videos on YouTube, with a certain amount of effort, a considerable amount of luck, as well as several cut fingers, I managed to replace it. Almost as good as new.

Anyway, that got me to thinking. What have I stored on there that I was so desperate to hang on to? Well, there's an inordinate amount of short fiction, from the classic period of somewhere in the middle of the 19th century, to the middle of the 20th. A lot of ghost stories & uncanny fiction, as well as a lot of detective fiction. Most of it downloaded, out of copyright, from the excellent, Project Gutenberg site (https://gutenberg.org), or Canada's own, Faded Page.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, of course, as well as his Professor Challenger stories. He also wrote some fairly effective, two fisted, pugilism tales, uncanny tales of horror & some rather decent sea faring tales. G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown, quite different from the TV series, with an interesting take on morality. Edgar Wallace's J. G. Reeder, one of the odd-bod detectives I first experienced, as portrayed by Hugh Burden on ITV, back in the early Seventies.

Then there's, Algernon Blackwood, a fine writer of horror, whose, occult physician, John Silence, is a pretty decent entry into the supernatural detective genre. Not forgetting Seabury Quinn's, Jules de Grandin, French occult detective, denizen of Harrisonville, New Jersey & Weird Tales. Not forgetting, my personal favourite, amongst occult detectives, William Hope Hodgson's, proto-steam punk, occult detective, Carnacki, the Ghost Finder. His adventures are a glorious mix of uncanny horror, electrical gadgets & magic.

There's lots more on my e-reader, of course, Burroughs, Christie, Hammett, Le Fanu, Lovecraft, Machen, Poe, Rohmer, Sayers, Verne, Walsh, Yeats & the first year,or two of, Astounding Stories. I can also thoroughly recommend, Songling Pu's Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio. The inspiration for many an occult kung fu movie started from this classic, Qing dynasty, collection of ghostly tales.

My old Kindle is close to packing in and I'm using an Ipad. I've got a lot of stuff from Gutenberg on the old Kindle. Including a lot of collections of myth and fairy tale and Native American material.

Comment

So many books, so little time. I set myself the task of reading a book of short stories in Japanese this year, which has slowed my reading rate dramatically. However it is a great reminder of what we take for granted when we read in our mother tongue.
      http://final-frame-final.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post

... Not forgetting Seabury Quinn's, Jules de Grandin, French occult detective, denizen of Harrisonville, New Jersey & Weird Tales. Not forgetting, my personal favourite, amongst occult detectives, William Hope Hodgson's, proto-steam punk, occult detective, Carnacki, the Ghost Finder. His adventures are a glorious mix of uncanny horror, electrical gadgets & magic.

Jules Grandin tales are thin on the ground on the Gutenberg & Faded Page sites, but I did discover a couple of short story collections over on the Internet Archive site:

The Casebook Of Jules De Grandin (The Hellfire Chambers of Jules De Grandin, is in there too, but shares the title with 'Casebook.'). The De Grandin stories are in the macabre Weird Tales tradition & very much of their time.

As for, 'Carnaki: The Ghost Finder,' I stumbled across an episode of the, Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, from 1971, last night, on YouTube, in which Donald Pleasance makes a meal of the part, in: The Horse of the Invisible.

Just a pity that the house set isn't a bit more cavernous & gothic. Hard to fit an invisible horse in there.

Comment

I once had the entire Arthur Conan Doyle "Sherlock Holmes" collection in electronic format and they were quick enough to enjoy via mobile device. I fear anything longer than those and my eyes couldn't take it.
          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Every couple of weeks or so Amazon tells you something's free. I get those frequently -- and today I got a collected Jules Verne with 1st edition illustrations! I've always coveted the oversized originals but could rarely find them in English. Really, I rarely re-read the whole book. It's like having a seriously good library available. I can save wear and tear on fragile books, even if I own the paper versions. And it's perfect for long waits in doctors' surgeries etc. I used to loove Jules de Grandin. He was well-represented but not cheap last I looked on kindle.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
            X