Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sword and sorcery architecture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sword and sorcery architecture

Hi,

I'm not sure if this belongs on the art or book forums. In the sword and sorcery genre there is a very unique architecture has anyone else noticed this? Like on the covers of Elric and Conan novels. Is there a name for this type of architecture?

Fantastic architecture? Not sure what specific covers you are referring to. If you are interested in fictive or utopian architecture in general I can warmly recommend the book Film Architecture: From Metropolis to Blade Runner published in 1996. It has a lot of awesome images and the essays in it are thoughtful and well written.

Comment

In the notes to The Making of a Sorcerer Mike says he wanted a native American feel to the architecture. Other Sword and Sorcery goes for a kind of medieval feel. The Conan stories range across the world so you have Egyptian stuff or other African stuff. I always found Rodney Matthews covers for Moorcock books had an interesting architectural feel, especially his blue Tanelorn
      400?cb=20160512074356.jpgISNUIz2wCafxksN9FhRgJPSslxNSoefgP5UXWkYoOOAX6WUSIrkDLVWOicqbf6pw-NEHagEtKo4H9mwO_XNFt9CknHDoNsrm3-S34ew.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Sorcerer View Post
        Fantastic architecture? Not sure what specific covers you are referring to. If you are interested in fictive or utopian architecture in general I can warmly recommend the book Film Architecture: From Metropolis to Blade Runner published in 1996. It has a lot of awesome images and the essays in it are thoughtful and well written.
        I was thinking of the micheal whelan covers

Comment

From Michael Whelan's artist statement:

Stylistically my art is best described as “Imaginative Realism”. Most closely allied to the scope and feeling of what is referred to as contemporary “Visionary Art”, my gallery art is intentionally imbued with a strong sense of the mystical or dreamlike, and is suffused with symbolic content. There is a deliberate attempt to invest the image with layers of meaning while having an immediate subjective or emotional impression.

Based on that I think I would describe his architecture as "imaginative" or "visionary".

Comment

Working...
          X