Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Books you were introduced to by Moorcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Sorcerer View Post
    It's interesting how diverse Moorcock's influences and inspirations are and how many of them fall outside the borders of genre fiction. I am in particular interested in the English realists and humourists that he mentions including George Meredith, P.G. Wodehouse, Jerome K. Jerome and Ronald Firbank. Don't think I would have discovered those authors without him. I have always been fond of Saki's fiction, hope that they strike some of the same chords. Also, a German classic, Grimmelshausen's Adventures of Simplicius Simplicissimus.
    Yes, Wodehouse is a major influence on Douglas Adams as well. I am aware of the others but have not read them though I think we have something by Jerome somewhere. I love the bit in, I think, the Condition of Muzak, where he talks of Jerry and Catherine as children sitting down in their father's Chateau with a Wodehouse or a de Sade, the incongruence is funny and gives us a sense of Jerry and Catherine's reality.

Comment

Originally posted by postodave View Post
      I love the bit in, I think, the Condition of Muzak, where he talks of Jerry and Catherine as children sitting down in their father's Chateau with a Wodehouse or a de Sade, the incongruence is funny and gives us a sense of Jerry and Catherine's reality.
      I think this is what Mike does as well as anyone. He either lets you or makes you use your imagination to fill in gaps. He does more with a relatively offhand “show” than many people do with pages of “tell.”

Comment

Working...
      X