Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Two top five favorites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-Sun
    replied
    Fun. Neat idea.

hmmm 🤔
    age 16-20:
    Wizard of Earthsea
    Sundered Worlds
    Sign of the Unicorn (Amber)
    Second Book of Swords
    Silmarillion

today...
    I gotta say, those five still hold up for me. That may be the power of nostalgia. Also, it’s hard to take a trilogy and pick a book out of it.

I’m going to keep the Sundered Worlds, and the Wizard of Earthsea. Then it gets tricky. Too many good books, but too few that definitively beat the rest out.

Kull of Atlantis
    the Gypsies by Jan Yoors
    Twenty Years after by Dumas

...but at the advice of Mike’s 100 Best Fantasy book, my bucket list has some on it that might displace one or two.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    A Prayer For Owen Meany - John Irvine
    Thanks for making me feel better about my selection. 😂 People accuse him of writing the same novel over and over, but that is one really good novel.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by EverKing View Post
    I almost explicitly called this out in my "Today" list topping what was going to be three separate Mike entries (Second Ether, War Hound, & Elric in Dreamland series). Then I thought about Warlord of the Air...and Gloriana...and Behold the Man...and...well...you get the idea. Therefore, I just lumped it all together because, really all of these (except maybe Behold the Man which stands strong on its own regardless) are stronger in the larger context of Mike's work.
    It all gets richer of course. I think I like the second ether because it gets at some of MMs largest themes without some of the internal mythology of the Von Beks and the internal and external mythology that’s an integral part of the other classic ECs like Elric? Hawkmoon, and Corum.

Jack, Sam, Colinda, and Rose (yes she is deeply tied to the broader cycle) are a fresh look at everything. Maybe that’s just the time when I read it, but having Jack tie up some of the dangling threads of 35 years was more satisfying than any other “conclusion” to the cycle.

I think I have to re-read these. I’ve said more about them in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years. And I now live close enough to Biloxi to fear the fault. Haha

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    A Prayer For Owen Meany - John Irvine
    Dancers - Mike
    God Knows - Joseph Heller
    The Hobbit - Tolkien
    Use of Weapons - Iain M. Banks

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
    Odysseus - Zachary Mason
    Picture This - Joseph Heller
    Poor Things - Alasdair Gray
    War Hound - Mike

I think the 'current top five are arbitrary really.
    I used to have a lot of favourite this that and the other but have pretty much abandoned the concept: depends on the day, the mood, the whatever.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

Dragonbone chair, the first book of the series has been split into 3 books and only 2 of them have been published here in the early 90s. I had the books 1 and 2 and planned to read them until I found out they were just 2/3 of the first book of a trilogy.
    Wow, that's almost obscene. Book 3, To Green Angel Tower was split in two volumes for Mass Market printing as it was simply too long; but Dragonbone Chair and Stone of Farewell (books. 1 & 2) have always been printed as single volumes in English, as far as I know.

Incidently, Tad is currently completing the final volume of a sequel trilogy called The Last King of Osten Ard. A short novel, which takes place prior to the Epilogue of TGAT, The Heart of What Was Lost, was released just prior to the first book of the sequel series, The Witchwood Crown. The second book, Empire of Grass, was released in 2019. The final, The Navigators Children, is due sometime next year and there is talk of another short novel.

If you can find a translation, his SF Otherland tetraology is amazing perhaps even better than MST. It predicts many aspects of digital life we see today and was conceived with the birth of the World Wide Web in the 1990's.
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Tad Williams--Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series (To Green Angel Tower)
    Dragonbone chair, the first book of the series has been split into 3 books and only 2 of them have been published here in the early 90s. I had the books 1 and 2 and planned to read them until I found out they were just 2/3 of the first book of a trilogy.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc View Post
    The second ether trilogy (Blood, et. al)
    I almost explicitly called this out in my "Today" list topping what was going to be three separate Mike entries (Second Ether, War Hound, & Elric in Dreamland series). Then I thought about Warlord of the Air...and Gloriana...and Behold the Man...and...well...you get the idea. Therefore, I just lumped it all together because, really all of these (except maybe Behold the Man which stands strong on its own regardless) are stronger in the larger context of Mike's work.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    I can't say there is anything new I've read since I was 20 that would make the top 5 list although China Miéville's Perdido Street Station is a contender.
    This almost made my list. I had too many "honorable mentions" already or it would have been there. It is fantastic, and unlike anything else I've ever read.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by Sir Sorcerer View Post
    Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (slightly embarrassed with this one)
    No need! That actually makes you much cooler.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Crap. This is harder than I thought. haha

16-20
    John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire (makes no sense, I know)
    Madeline L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time (Maybe I hung on to YA a little too long)
    Elric (all of them count as one)
    Stephen King, It
    Clive Barker, The Great and Secret Show
    Honorable mentions to my SF and Fantasy short story collections that featured Aldiss, Ellison, Bradbury, Asimov, and Leiber heavily.)

Now
    The second ether trilogy (Blood, et. al)
    J. G. Ballard, Kingdom Come
    Jeff Vandermeer, Borne or City of Saints and Madmen
    Mark Danielewski, House of Leaves (Still a sucker for it)
    M. John Harrison Light

Honorable mentions to Paolo Bacigalupi, The Windup Girl, Emily St. John Mandel, Station Eleven, Angela Carter, The Infernal Desire Machines of Dr. Hoffman, Neil Gaiman, American Gods, and Peter Heller, The Dog Stars

Of course, this might change tomorrow...

I'm actually not as embarrassed as I might be about my "younger me" list. I think they would hold up okay (except for that scene in IT).

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    As these are all series, I'll include the series name because it is hard to pick just a single volume, but if pressed my favorite of the series is in parentheses. Also, I've limited it to fiction.

16-20
    • Tad Williams--Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series (To Green Angel Tower)
    • Michael Moorcock--Elric Saga (The Dreaming City)
    • Frank Herbert--Dune (Dune)
    • Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman--Dragonlance Legends Trilogy (War of the Twins)
    • Melanie Rawn--Dragon Prince (Sunrunner's Fire)

Today
    • Tad Williams--Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (To Green Angel Tower)
    • Michael Moorcock-- (I can't pick one, they each support each other and are all better for it)
    • Unknown--Beowulf
    • Dante Alighieri--Divine Comedy (Inferno)
    • Frank Herbert--Dune (Dune)
    A little caveat on the "Today" list--I don't read as much as I used to and several of these I haven't read since I was in that 16-20 bracket so the list is more based on memory, nostalgia, and an improved appreciation for what I read at that time. I can't say there is anything new I've read since I was 20 that would make the top 5 list although China Miéville's Perdido Street Station is a contender.
    Last edited by EverKing; 08-14-2020, 07:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Sorcerer
    replied
    16-20
    William Gibson, Neuromancer
    Frank Herbert, Dune
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
    Terry Pratchett, Discworld Series
    Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (slightly embarrassed with this one)

Today
    Ursula K. LeGuin, The Books of Earthsea
    Jack Vance, Tales of the Dying Earth
    Clark Ashton Smith, Collected Fantasies
    J.G. Ballard, The Terminal Beach
    Philip K Dick, Ubik

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    16-20

Lord Of The Rings Tolkien
    The Hobbit Tolkien
    The Left Hand of Darkness LeGuin
    Childhood's End Arthur Clarke
    It Stephen King

Now

Lord Of The Rings Tolkien
    Book of the new Sun Gene Wolfe
    Jack Vance Dying Earth
    The Anubis gate Tim Powers
    Dancers at the end of time Mike

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    started a topic Two top five favorites

Two top five favorites

Inspired by J-Sun:

Two lists: the first for you top five favorite books when you were 16-20, the second for your
    top five now. Comments on overlap, lack of overlap, or embarrassment are encouraged.

I have to post the topic and run, as my 2 year old wants me to read him his favorite book. Mine will follow.

Working...
X