Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What books have you purchased recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books have you purchased recently?

I hit a thrift store today and picked up: Soul on Ice - E. Cleaver, There Is A River (on Cayce) - T. Sugure, a portable Voltaire collection, trans. Pearson, and Garner's Elidor.
    "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

I recently purchased every Moorcock book I coud find from my local second hand book dealer so I could send them to my brother, and it realy made his day when they arrived.

Other than that being on a disabilty pension does not leave me with much cash for such things so I am a frequent visitor to my local library.
    My signature is

Comment

Well done
      "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I haven't bought any books in a while, but I have "mooched" a copy of Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.

http://www.bookmooch.com/
        Last edited by Typhoid_Mary; 08-25-2006, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Interesting site, TM!

My most recent books-
          An advance order of Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski, a used copy of The Light Ages by Ian MacLeod (it was recommended by China Mieville), and signed copies of Iain Banks' State of the Art and Jonathan Carroll's The Marriage of Sticks.

Comment

As discussed in another thread, my most recent new book purchase (as opposed to buying 2nd-hand copies of Mike's books on eBay or abebooks) was

The complete chronicles of Conan: Centenary edition

It's going to be a while before I dip into it (still have The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Eco to read first) but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Used:
              Jazz Is by Nat Hentoff- Hentoff also wrote an introduction in one of my faves Live At the Village Vanguard, by Max Gordon. Max Gordon opened the Village Vanguard (Jazz club in NYC) in the 1930's- it's still there. I went there when I visited NYC and anyone remotely interested in Jazz really should- it has an incredible vibe- all the Greats have played there.

Devil in the White City by Erik Larson -started this, but I'm going to have to bail- too freaky. True story, too-maybe that's why.

Baudolino and Foucault's Pendulum by Eco

New:
              Darkroom Basics... and beyond by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz
              Great book, from the UK, well written and fills in a few gaps from my other 30 year-old darkroom book. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have the makings of my very own darkroom- YES!
              Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
              -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

I buy far too many books. In the past week I have bought:

New
                Cool Memories V, Jean Baudrillard
                Une Semaine De Bonté, Max Ernst
                A hardback collected The Eternals, Jack Kirby

Second hand

Whit, Iain Banks (20p in the village charity shop)
                A first edition hardback Gloriana for £9.00 on ebay, which I am rather pleased about.

I am telling myself that I won't get anything next week, but it never seems to work out that way...

Comment

I went to Hay-on-Wye for the weekend and bought:

M John Harrison: Things That Never Happen, Anima, and Viriconium

Neil Gaiman: American Gods

Dan Simmons: Kali

David Lindsay: Voyage to Arcturus

Henry Treece: The Dark Island

L Ron Hubbard (!):
                  Fear

Ken Macleod:
                  The Sky Road

Robert E Howard: The Dark Man (Vol.1)

Stephen Jones (ed.): Shadows Over Innsmouth

Ramsey Campbell: The Hungry Moon

Lothar-Gunther Buchheim: Das Boot

Nicholas Pegg: The Complete David Bowie

Jonathan Rigby: Christopher Lee: the Authorised Screen History

Not a bad haul - all at bargain prices, but when will I get round to reading them???
                  Last edited by Mikey_C; 08-25-2006, 01:56 PM.
                  \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                    As discussed in another thread, my most recent new book purchase (as opposed to buying 2nd-hand copies of Mike's books on eBay or abebooks) was

The complete chronicles of Conan: Centenary edition
                    Was massively tempted by that in Waterstones the other day (while picking up a couple of Bertrand Russell's popular philosophy books - "The Conquest of Happiness" and "In Praise of Idleness"). I've got all the Conan stories in the Fantasy Masterworks paperbacks already, but that hardback's soooo pretty....

Resisted, just - but might well weaken with time.

Haven't bought any fiction since early July - still ploughing through the results of my annual pre-holiday splurge.
                    Arma virumque cano.

Comment

I'm glad other people have my sickness.

I ordered a book off of abebooks and another off of ebay, both of which had slipped my mind until I checked the mail! Great surprise!

I had forgotten about a signed copy of Harlan Ellison's Edgeworks 1 and a White Lion hardcover edition of The Jewel in the Skull, which, incidentally, was the only one of MM's hardcovers that I didn't have (with the exception of The Dorset Street Lodger--one of these days...)

johneffay- what do you mean you buy too many books? I don't understand what that means.

Mikey_C has all of us beaten though. He may be more sick than the rest of us

Comment

Doc, I'm glad others have 'our' sickness, as well. I could live in Green Apple Books in San Francisco.

Hands down the biggest section in used bookstores over here is the Romance section. Blech!

Anyone else go to FOL (Friends Of the Library) sales? To die for...
                        -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                          johneffay- what do you mean you buy too many books? I don't understand what that means.
                          I'm not too clear on it myself, but my wife will be happy to explain to you

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
                            I'm not too clear on it myself, but my wife will be happy to explain to you

Mine, too. She has a much clearer idea than I about the limits of both spending and storing...

M. Rose-
                            I'm a library sale junkie, too. I've found great stuff at many of them. The Friends of the Library here have several sales a year, but the big one that I never miss has a bunch of donated books, not just library discards. I've found several collectable books for around $2 each, including one small press (Subterranean Press) limited edition and several relatively valuable first editions.

If we have a sickness or an addiction, they are pushers...

Comment

Yep- The FOL sales are definitely a big fix
                              I have yet to find an actual library book in one of these- just talking about it got me to go write the upcoming Oct dates in my Calendar
                              I have found the best batch of film photography related books at these of anywhere. Last year I got a Roy DeCarava book that is just gorgeous...

As you were...
                              -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Working...
                              X