Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What book(s) are you reading in 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
    I’ve just realised I’ve made a huge tactical error as London prepares to lock itself down. I’m in West London and my entire Moorcock collection is in Norfolk.

Bugger!
    Yikes. Can I give you a piece o advice? Amazon kindle fire tablet costs around 45 dollars and it has the performance of a middle-level tablet. If you don't have one and if you can afford it I would recommend it. If you already have one, ebooks and comics can be read on there too. Mike's e-books are very affordable.

I have a fire tablet I bought 1 year ago which allowed me to read many many comics bought from Comixology. There is a subscription you can even have to read comics paying a monthly fee but I prefer to wait for Comixology to have their 80% discount promos which happen every week.

I also have an old 2017 Motorola Smartphone where, believe it or not, I read comics in there as well. I have developed a technique :-). I read all my books on my smartphone too.

Reasons for doing it:

- ebooks are easily more affordable ( most things I want to read will never be published in Brazil )
    - ebooks allow me to easily consult a dictionary ( Non-native English speaker myself )
    - ebooks come fast
    - space

I still buy real books and comics when I can afford them. Nothing compares to the real deal.

Leave a comment:

• porcus_volans
    replied
    I’ve just realised I’ve made a huge tactical error as London prepares to lock itself down. I’m in West London and my entire Moorcock collection is in Norfolk.

Bugger!

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Although I read two books this year ( Shadow of the torturer-reread, Beyond Lies The Wub vol1 of P.K Dick best short stories ) and reread Sandman "Season of Mists" I am in a middle of a reader's block. I have tried to read many books but it has not worked until now. I will continue to reread Book Of The New Sun, The Claw Of The Conciliator because these 4 books are my current favorite books so it is easier to help me to read again. Yesterday I started reading comics again, Sweet Tooth omnibus vol2 and I was reading it with full pleasure.

Leave a comment:

• Una Persson
    replied
    Iain M Bank's State of the Art - and wondering how much of an homage to Michael Moorcock it is? (it certainly seems to be)

Leave a comment:

• Kevin McCabe
    replied
    Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post

Yeah it's a great read. Shame I've been waiting years for the next book.. I'll have to reread the books if the new one comes out to refresh my memory.
    I’m in a similar position with Gibson’s new book. Re-reading his last one again. Oh, well, Tool fans had it worse 😃

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
    Just finished The Name of the Wind by PatrickRothfuss. Best fantasy I’ve read in years. Nothing sophisticated, no genre bending. Just good fun in a well-crafted world
    Yeah it's a great read. Shame I've been waiting years for the next book.. I'll have to reread the books if the new one comes out to refresh my memory.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin McCabe
    replied
    Just finished The Name of the Wind by PatrickRothfuss. Best fantasy I’ve read in years. Nothing sophisticated, no genre bending. Just good fun in a well-crafted world

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied

I’m not a fan of the audio versions of Pratchett’s books. Part of the fun of reading fantasy is using my own imagination to translate the voices in my head. It’s the same with putting fantasy on screen. It’s rarely better than what I imagined when I read the books.

Certainly, Sky’s previous attempts to put Hogfather and Going Postal on TV were disappointing.

And some of the audio versions are abridged so beware of that too.

Ive picked up a PG Wodehouse.

The audio version I have of Guards! Guards! is abridged and probably quite a bit being only on 2 cassettes. I'll still give it a listen, but it won't be a replacement for reading the book.

I haven't read too many from PG Wodehouse, but the ones I have I really enjoyed and loved the humor. I thought the TV series Jeeves And Wooster did justice to Wodehouse and Stephen Fry And Hugh Laurie were excellent choices for the roles.

Leave a comment:

• porcus_volans
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

I didn't know about that new Pratchett BBC series, hmmmm might be a fun show to check out despite the reviews. I read Snuff from his Discworld series last year and enjoyed it despite having not read any of the other earlier books in that series yet. I would be curious to see how Sam Vimes and some of his other characters in that series translate to the screen. I have Guards! Guards! on cassette audiobook that I've never taken the time to listen to. I should dig it out and pop it on the old cassette deck, hopefully it still works, I haven't used it that part of the stereo in at least 20 years! The story is read by Tony Robinson of Blackadder fame so it should be a treat to listen to.
    I’m not a fan of the audio versions of Pratchett’s books. Part of the fun of reading fantasy is using my own imagination to translate the voices in my head. It’s the same with putting fantasy on screen. It’s rarely better than what I imagined when I read the books.

Certainly, Sky’s previous attempts to put Hogfather and Going Postal on TV were disappointing.

And some of the audio versions are abridged so beware of that too.

Ive picked up a PG Wodehouse.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by fammann View Post
    I just read Blood: A Southern Fantasy and am now reading Fabulous Harbours. They both finally came out as ebooks. The Second Ether trilogy is one of my absolute favorite series. I’m looking forward to War Amongst the Angels which comes out next week.
    I have acquired Blood ebook last friday. I will try to read it too.

Leave a comment:

• fammann
    replied
    I just read Blood: A Southern Fantasy and am now reading Fabulous Harbours. They both finally came out as ebooks. The Second Ether trilogy is one of my absolute favorite series. I’m looking forward to War Amongst the Angels which comes out next week.

Leave a comment:

• In_Loos_Ptokai
    replied
    Dance with Dragons, by GRR Martin. I'd read parts of the first of the third way back in 2006, I think, and had left it alone since then. Also Why Bob Dylan Matters, which is an indepth look at said singer-songwriter.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    I’ve discovered or re-discovered some interesting stuff since we went into stasis; I can highly recommend Jasper Fforde’s Shades of Grey and Early Riser - clever and funny fantasy; also the Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London series - police procedural with a copper wizard - not as Harry Potter as it sounds; on a very different note are the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom - historical mysteries set in Tudor England.

I’ve recently devoured the wonderful Philip Marlowe books by Raymond Chandler and after a prompt from some unflattering reviews of a soon to be released BBC version of Pratchett’s Nights Watch series, I’ve just finished Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms.

I need to dig out something new from the bookshelves.
    I didn't know about that new Pratchett BBC series, hmmmm might be a fun show to check out despite the reviews. I read Snuff from his Discworld series last year and enjoyed it despite having not read any of the other earlier books in that series yet. I would be curious to see how Sam Vimes and some of his other characters in that series translate to the screen. I have Guards! Guards! on cassette audiobook that I've never taken the time to listen to. I should dig it out and pop it on the old cassette deck, hopefully it still works, I haven't used it that part of the stereo in at least 20 years! The story is read by Tony Robinson of Blackadder fame so it should be a treat to listen to.
    Last edited by Jack Of Shadows; 02-09-2020, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• porcus_volans
    replied
    I’ve discovered or re-discovered some interesting stuff since we went into stasis; I can highly recommend Jasper Fforde’s Shades of Grey and Early Riser - clever and funny fantasy; also the Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London series - police procedural with a copper wizard - not as Harry Potter as it sounds; on a very different note are the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom - historical mysteries set in Tudor England.

I’ve recently devoured the wonderful Philip Marlowe books by Raymond Chandler and after a prompt from some unflattering reviews of a soon to be released BBC version of Pratchett’s Nights Watch series, I’ve just finished Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms.

I need to dig out something new from the bookshelves.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    Oops, I had originally posted this in the wrong forum.

Just started Tad Williams's "The Dirty Streets of Heaven" the other night. It is a different speed compared to Williams's other work, told in an almost Gaiman-esque conversational first-person lilt. Not far into it, as yet, but so far it is entertaining. Once I'm done with that series (standard trilogy arrangement) I might finally go and finish Wheel of Time, which I had abandoned around book 7 or 8, if memory serves. It has been so long since I read any of it so it will likely require a re-read from page 1.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X