Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book(s) are you reading in 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heresiologist
    replied
    This is so last year. People really got to stop reading in the past.

Leave a comment:

• In_Loos_Ptokai
    replied
    Also finished An African-American and LatinX History of the United States, by Paul Ortiz. A corrective to the various fantastic-fiction "realistic" histories of the United States that I grew up reading, where the US had both might and right.​ Highly recommended.
    (also finally got to the right thread for this. Brain fade, cuzzybros. Sori tumas.)

Leave a comment:

• In_Loos_Ptokai
    replied
    I've got both volumes of JG Ballard's collected short stories, and I'm going to read through it, story by story night by night, for as long as I can manage it. Then I might try Isabel Allende's Eva Luna, which frowns at me from my bookshelf.
    (finally got to the right thread for this)

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    replied
    devotion_cover.jpgand IrisMarsFrontCover.jpg

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    replied
    Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    Any good? I got bored of the Rivers series a few books ago.
    I thought The Hanging Tree was a weaker entry, as if there was no idea behind it, just the next instalment, but Lies Sleeping was better. I've not read the most recent novel. Most of these stories were written as add-ons to go between the books in the series, some are better than others. Then there are some historical ones. It's a nice change of pace.

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Any good? I got bored of the Rivers series a few books ago.

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    replied
    Tales from the Folly by Ben Aaronovitch. Nice short stories from The Rivers of London universe. Features an unexpected Moorcock reference in a story set in sixties London.

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Job's a good 'un then. Next purchases (mentally) in the bag!

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    If you like Banks' SF and space opera in general, then yes, they're worth a read.

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    So is that a rec then Guv? So long since someone gave us a rec!

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    Currently reading 'The Stone Clock' (physical copy) which is the third in the Spin Trilogy by Andrew Bannister: reminiscent of Iain M Banks' SF, this is large scale Space Opera with everything you could want from the sub-genre; and 'The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales' (e-copy) because why not.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I did finish Lathe of Heaven ( masterpiece ) and Larry Niven's Ringworld ( ok ) and I started Jack Vance's Marune: Alastor ( second read ).

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    replied
    Originally posted by Sir Sorcerer View Post
    I am reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov. It's really good so far.
    It declines at it goes on. The basic idea is a dodgy one. The idea is that on a mass scale human behaviour becomes predictable. Hence those who know how to control it have to run the universe. And we have to cheer on the people who believe that. Hence the whole thing is basically totalitarian. As an antidote I recommend Popper's Poverty of Historicism.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Sorcerer
    replied
    I am reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov. It's really good so far.

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Given that the TV version of The Runestaff seems to be on track to actually exist, I thought I'd go re-read the book(s) in anticipation. Its been many, many years Mr Hawkmoon!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X