Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book(s) are you reading in 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    The start is an utter slog. Is it worth it in the end? How many reach the end? As you've already committed your sheckles to the affair, its entirely up to you!
    A. It was secondhand.

B. I'm not totally unversed in the various references & 'Easter eggs,' obvious or obscure. There's a certain perverse pleasure (jouïssance?), in their gradual unveiling.

C. It's plainly true, as recent evidence has shown, there's an all encompassing Conspiracy, for every occasion. The nuttier the better.

Comment

I am in the middle of a reader's block but I am reading Gene Wolfe's Interlibrary Loan and loving it.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Gene Wolfe is always a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
          Gene Wolfe is always a good choice.
          Back in 2015, I bought the ebook "The Third Head of Cerberus" and started reading it. After the first story, I couldn't get into the second one so I stopped reading it. I never thought Wolfe was a bad author thank God and I mostly blamed myself which has been good. One year later I had the great idea of reading "Shadow Of The Torturer" and since then my life has changed. I did read "The Third Head of Cerberus" again but at this time I loved it.

I am so accustomed to his style that I feel bored with authors that go into the very minutiae to explain and narrate everything. I see myself loving dictionaries and symbolism. I couldn't get into all of his short stories however but loved a lot of them.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I tried to read the unlimited dream company by JG Ballard and a clockwork orange by anthony burgess but I didn’t finish either. I might try reading ballards short fiction. I did read Kane of Old Mars by MM which was good and am currently on the haunting of hill house by Shirley Jackson with viriconium by m john harrison ordered from the library..

Comment

Originally posted by Peacefulpie View Post
              I tried to read the unlimited dream company by JG Ballard and a clockwork orange by anthony burgess but I didn’t finish either. I might try reading ballards short fiction. I did read Kane of Old Mars by MM which was good and am currently on the haunting of hill house by Shirley Jackson with viriconium by m john harrison ordered from the library..
              You could try, The Drowned World, or The Crystal World, they're some of Ballard's earlier & best stories. Read one, or both of them, first & then read, Empire of the Sun. 😉

Comment

Working...
              X