Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What book(s) are you reading in 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@zlogdan

Yeah, tastes change over the years. What we don't like, becomes something we love.
    I couldn't get into Lovecraft books when I was a teenager, but now, whilst it's a bit hit and miss, really enjoy it when I'm in the mood.
    Reading Lovecraft put mew onto Edgar Allen Poe, which is some ways I prefer to Lovecraft.

Getting back to the Torturer books. I love the feel of the old world there under the covers and how it's slowly uncovered/revealed as you read the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

"Moonchild" is a beautiful book by Crowley. I haven't read it in years, but really enjoyed it.
      Crowley has written a lot of material. Mostly about Mysticism, Magick etc. Much of which is pretty heavy reading.
      Moonchild is a nice departure from that. Although obviously in itself rooted his flavor of Occult practices.

Comment

Reading Just Kids by Patti Smith, a person I respect immensely
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

I have been reading the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser Books in order from the beginning. A couple of years ago I found the last book the collected editions they did in the nineties where the first six books were grouped together in sets of two and the last one had a new name. I then realised I was missing the sixth book and decided the best way to buy that was in the same edition as the last book. Then when I started reading from the start the second book (my faviourite) fell to pieces so 'I bought the first two books of the ninteties collections. So I have a nice set including the intros by Moorcock and Neil Gamen. I love Gamen's intro which is alabout going back to books you read in childhood. I'm also enjoying the stories though the first book (first half of first book in the editions I have) is a bit weaker than most of the others. Leiber is a very good writer technically and there is a lot of wit and whismsy going on especially in the ones written later.

Comment

Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post

Crowley has written a lot of material. Mostly about Mysticism, Magick etc. Much of which is pretty heavy reading.
            Moonchild is a nice departure from that. Although obviously in itself rooted his flavor of Occult practices.
            Agreed. I used to have a much larger library of occult books than I do now, including rare volumes and a number from Crowley. Over the years I've sold off most of them. They did quite well, but there have been a few that I regret selling. My library now primarily consists of science fiction, fantasy and horror, but a few occult gems still remain.
            "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
            'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

Agreed. I used to have a much larger library of occult books than I do now, including rare volumes and a number from Crowley. Over the years I've sold off most of them. They did quite well, but there have been a few that I regret selling. My library now primarily consists of science fiction, fantasy and horror, but a few occult gems still remain.
              I've moved quite a few times over the years, usually to different countries, so have lost much of stuff I would rather have kept, but hey... life.

The interesting thing about Crowley's work is it's a real rabbit hole you end up going down that refers to lots of other books, many not written by himself.
              The book I referred to earlier, "The Neverending story" has more than a few nods to Hermeticiscm, Thelema etc and is not just an entertaining children's book to read.

Comment

Working...
              X