Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rothgo
    replied
    Shocking that we've got to April and it's "none so far". Well, none for myself. I am starting to dig into the "still to read" pile which is good!

Leave a comment:

• porcus_volans
    replied
    The first Maigret novel, Pietr the Latvian by Georges Simenon and the new Rivers of London novel, False Value, by Ben Aaronovitch.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    I enjoy hunting for books at used bookstores and thrift shops, you never know what you will find and the prices are usually a bargain. Sometimes I walk out with nothing, other times a few things and then once in a while I leave with a haul. It's hit or miss, being at the store on the right day and at the right time. It's pure luck, and this past Wednesday was one such day of the stars being right for a haul that I haven't had in quite a while. The thrift shop was packed with people shoulder to shoulder looking for treasures and the book section was more crowded than usual, but this didn't stop me from pushing my way in and scanning the shelves. People were grabbing books, but fortunately from what I could see no one was interested in the same genres or authors that I was. If they had been, the books I managed to find would have been snapped up very quickly. So, here are the 14 books that I purchased that day for just over $1 each (after averaging out all the prices per book as well as the vinyl albums and other stuff bought)...yeah it was a very good day!

The Burrowers Beneath by Brian Lumley (1988 W.P. Ganley hardcover edition)
    The Transition Of Titus Crow by Brian Lumley (1992 W.P. Ganley hardcover edition)
    Hero Of Dreams by Brian Lumley (1986 W.P. Ganley 1st edition paperback)
    Ship Of Dreams by Brian Lumley (1986 W.P. Ganley 1st edition paperback)
    Mad Moon Of Dreams by Brian Lumley (1987 W.P. Ganley 1st edition paperback)
    Fruiting Bodies And Other Fungi by Brian Lumley (1993 Tor 1st edition hardcover)
    Psychosphere by Brian Lumley (1984 Panther 1st edition paperback)
    Echoes Of The Well Of Souls by Jack L. Chalker (1993 Del Rey 1st edition paperback)
    Shadow Of The Well Of Souls by Jack L. Chalker (1994 Del Rey 1st edition paperback)
    Gods Of The Well Of Souls by Jack L. Chalker (1994 Del Rey 1st edition paperback)
    Black Knight Of The Iron Sphere by E.E. "Doc" Smith and Gordon Eklund (1979 Baronet 1st edition paperback)
    Mid-Flinx by Alan Dean Foster (1995 Del Rey 1st edition hardcover)
    More Than Fire by Philip Jose Farmer (1993 Tor 1st edition hardcover)
    The 12th Planet by Zecharia Sitchin (2007 Harper paperback edition)

Lots of Brian Lumley that's for sure and all of the books were very well taken care of with most being in very fine/excellent to almost new condition. The only one that had any real signs of wear on it was the "Doc" Smith book, but it would still grade very good. Finding room for all of these on the shelves was a challenge and I really need to control myself for a while as I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by postodave View Post
    Morlock Nights is a strange one, supposedly the first steam punk novel, but Warlord of the Air should get that credit really. Credit to Jeter and Powers for inventing the term though. It is an odd book being an instalment in a series the rest of which were not written, some good moments.
    Cool! The book looked interesting enough and I can never seem to resist those yellow spine Daw editions.

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
    I picked these up yesterday at a thrift store I don't go to nearly enough...

Morlock Night by K.W. Jeter (1979 DAW 1st edition)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2012 Random House Movie Tie-In edition)
    Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman (2017 Norton 1st edition)
    King And Emperor by Harry Harrison and John Holm (1996 Tor 1st edition)

2 hardcovers and 2 paperbacks for $9, not a bad deal.
    Morlock Nights is a strange one, supposedly the first steam punk novel, but Warlord of the Air should get that credit really. Credit to Jeter and Powers for inventing the term though. It is an odd book being an instalment in a series the rest of which were not written, some good moments.

My daughter is involved in a dramatized version of Gaimen's Norse Mythology later this year.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    I picked these up yesterday at a thrift store I don't go to nearly enough...

Morlock Night by K.W. Jeter (1979 DAW 1st edition)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2012 Random House Movie Tie-In edition)
    Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman (2017 Norton 1st edition)
    King And Emperor by Harry Harrison and John Holm (1996 Tor 1st edition)

2 hardcovers and 2 paperbacks for $9, not a bad deal.

Leave a comment:

• postodave
    replied
    And the Weak Suffer What They Must by Yanis Varoufakis. It's about the EU and austerity and how our money got in such a mess because we didn't listen to Keynes. Also at the same time I got Dibs: in search of self by Virginia Axline which is a history of a disturbed child finding identity through play therapy.

Leave a comment:

• porcus_volans
    replied
    Hidden Histories: A Spotter's Guide to the British Landscape by Mary-Ann Ochota

It’s on the shelf awaiting a damn good reading.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

1.50 for hardcovers!!!!!!!!!
    Any Gene Wolfe , Jack Vance or Moorcock?
    No, unfortunately there weren't any of those authors. There was an Arthur C. Clarke, some Elizabeth Moon, and a few Stephen King trade paperbacks.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Me and the Mrs. popped in a thrift store today that we had never been to and WOW they had a very large selection of books. All genres were covered including my favs (science fiction/fantasy/horror), the quality of them was excellent, and the prices were on the cheap (.79 cents for paperbacks and $1.50 for hardcovers). I picked up 4 very nice hardcovers...

Sisterhood Of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson (2011 Tor 1st edition)
    The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov (1972 Doubleday book club edition)
    The Goblin Mirror by C.J. Cherryh (1992 Del Rey 1st edition)
    Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh (1994 DAW 1st edition)

With finds like these, I'll definitely be going back often! :-)
    1.50 for hardcovers!!!!!!!!!
    Any Gene Wolfe , Jack Vance or Moorcock?

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Me and the Mrs. popped in a thrift store today that we had never been to and WOW they had a very large selection of books. All genres were covered including my favs (science fiction/fantasy/horror), the quality of them was excellent, and the prices were on the cheap (.79 cents for paperbacks and $1.50 for hardcovers). I picked up 4 very nice hardcovers...

Sisterhood Of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson (2011 Tor 1st edition)
    The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov (1972 Doubleday book club edition)
    The Goblin Mirror by C.J. Cherryh (1992 Del Rey 1st edition)
    Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh (1994 DAW 1st edition)

With finds like these, I'll definitely be going back often! :-)

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied

I haven't read that book yet. I always enjoyed the movie. I'm sure the book is far better, they always are.
    Yeah there's a LOT more detail to the story and it explains a lot more of what WAS in the movie.
    It's a fun, relaxing read. :)

Leave a comment:

• fammann
    replied
    Earthsea by Ursula K LeGuin

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
    Mentioned in the "what are you reading" thread. But the latest book i bought is also the latest book I'm reading.
    "never ending story" by Michael Ende
    I haven't read that book yet. I always enjoyed the movie. I'm sure the book is far better, they always are.

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    Mentioned in the "what are you reading" thread. But the latest book i bought is also the latest book I'm reading.
    "never ending story" by Michael Ende

Leave a comment:

Working...
X