Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
    I am a happy camper!
    Yes indeed, you got yourself a fabulous book there and it looks great on the Hawkwind album!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    I am a happy camper!
    What a great book. It’s almost a shame you have to crack the binding and make it a little less pretty.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

Thanks Doc for sharing your book hunting finds!
    Thanks for reading about them and encouraging me to share! And of course thanks for sharing your own. These are stories that put a lot of people to sleep, but when you are a kindred spirit you get it.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I am a happy camper!

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc View Post

Those are amazing finds! That Firing the Cathedral was a real bargain. Far better than the $40 cover price and now the up charge on the used market for an out of print book. And the PS Publishing edition (if that’s the one you found) also has the bonus Alan Moore signature.

I was just stupid lucky with that Kerouac and DiMaggio. The DiMaggio was an estate sale find in a giant pile of beaten up books that would have gone straight to a dumpster. But as you know, digging has its rewards. The Kerouac was from a library sale. Someone had donated an entire giant collection with a lot of junk. That one practically jumped into my hands right away, and I then spent another hour going through a bunch of books that I’m not sure anyone would ever want. Still
    worth the time, and I’m sure the people running both the sales were happy for the money. The Good Omens was at a used bookstore. I think they mispriced it. It was priced at $3.95 sitting in between two clearly collectible books priced at $395. I wasn’t going to ask about a problem with a label maker. 😂.

My problem is that I’m like a gambler who doesn’t have sense enough to stop when I’m ahead, and the rush of finding an unexpected gem is a special kind of rush.

And most importantly, it’s the best when a book kind of finds you and it turns out to be great. That’s the best find.
    Oh man you were very lucky indeed with those three book finds! I love how you obtained them. Persistence and luck is the name of the game when it comes to those amazing finds. I have to agree it sounds as though that bookstore definitely mispriced that copy of Good Omens...what a bargain!

Yes, the Firing The Cathedral I snapped up is the PS Publishing edition, but it's the softcover version limited to 500 copies and not the hardcover limited to 400 copies, which I believe is the one with the bonus Alan Moore signature. I'm more than happy to have this regardless and will always treasure it!

Firing The Cathedral - PS Publishing Edition.JPGFiring The Cathedral - PS Publishing Edition - Signed Numbered.JPG

I'm with you on the whole rush of finding an unexpected gem being a special kind of rush. You are right, there is nothing like it when you are a collector and it makes you want to keep searching for that next big treasure. Like a gambler, I get needing that fix. For me with books it becomes a little bit tricky, they do take up quite a bit of real estate on the shelves and there are only so many bookcases you can fit in a space. Sometimes when book buying the thought enters my head "where are you going to put that?" and I've passed on some items that maybe I should have bought. Nothing signed, limited or specially bound, those I've only passed on if the price is too outrageous. Just books that would have been nice additions, but at the time that little nagging voice in my head said "not another one"! Of course, the treasures you pass on buying for whatever reason are the ones you usually regret not buying. The time to buy it is when you see it, because chances are it will be gone and you may never come across another.

Thanks Doc for sharing your book hunting finds!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied

Those are phenomenal finds Doc! I have to agree, the hunt is one of the most fun aspects of collecting no matter what you collect. I prefer and get so much more joy out of finding a book or other such treasure "in the wild" as it were as opposed to just buying it online. Thrift stores, estate sales, yard sales, flea markets and church sales are all great places to hunt and you never know what you are going to find. The prices at those sort of places are usually always cheap and to me that makes the find even more exciting.

Those signed books you snagged for less than a song are amazing finds...well done! I've added a few signed books over the years from the hunt to my collection, but nothing as great of a deal as the ones you found. Still, I was more than happy to pay what they wanted. My best signed finds didn't come from a thrift store or other such place, but surprisingly came from a used bookstore. Now don't get me wrong, those shops are incredible places to go and spend hours at looking for books and you never know what will end up on the shelf. The nice thing is there is bound to be something there worth getting. Used bookstores are usually a little less expensive than online, but bargains don't turn up nearly as often as they would at a thrift store. Most used bookstores know what they have and price items accordingly. However, every so often some things do get missed and put on the regular shelves with a price tag that seems like a mistake and not locked up in a showcase with a price tag that will make your eyes pop out of your head.

I've been lucky twice at Half Price Books and picked up a signed copy of Views by Roger Dean (best known for his Yes album cover art) for $8 and a signed limited edition copy of Firing The Cathedral by Michael Moorcock for $12. Both are in excellent condition and should have been priced way higher, but I wasn't about to complain. I didn't even know the Roger Dean was signed until I got back in the car and started looking at it closer. I wanted the book because I love his artwork. When I found out that it was signed, the book became an even bigger treasure to me! The signature on the title page is really cool too, it was done at one of the Nearfest progressive rock festivals and he drew a YES logo above his signature. Of course with Mike's book I would have purchased it anyway for $12 even if it wasn't a limited signed edition, as I enjoy reading his books immensely and Jerry Cornelius is one of my all time favorite characters ever created!

My only signed book finds at Goodwill so far have been Fountain Society by Wes Craven for $2.29 and Metal Of Night by Mark W. Tiedemann for $1.29. The last book was picked off the shelf on a whim. I didn't know who the author was, but the title of the book grabbed me so I read the back cover and it sounded like a really interesting science fiction/space opera sort of story. The cover art was really nice too, not that I judge books by their cover, so I bought it. When I got it home was when I saw that it was signed...bonus! The book turned out to be one of the best sci-fi stories that I've read in a long time, so I ended up finding a new author to read and the book is a really great addition to my collection.

Good luck to you as well Doc...the hunt continues!
    Those are amazing finds! That Firing the Cathedral was a real bargain. Far better than the $40 cover price and now the up charge on the used market for an out of print book. And the PS Publishing edition (if that’s the one you found) also has the bonus Alan Moore signature.

I was just stupid lucky with that Kerouac and DiMaggio. The DiMaggio was an estate sale find in a giant pile of beaten up books that would have gone straight to a dumpster. But as you know, digging has its rewards. The Kerouac was from a library sale. Someone had donated an entire giant collection with a lot of junk. That one practically jumped into my hands right away, and I then spent another hour going through a bunch of books that I’m not sure anyone would ever want. Still
    worth the time, and I’m sure the people running both the sales were happy for the money. The Good Omens was at a used bookstore. I think they mispriced it. It was priced at $3.95 sitting in between two clearly collectible books priced at $395. I wasn’t going to ask about a problem with a label maker. 😂.

My problem is that I’m like a gambler who doesn’t have sense enough to stop when I’m ahead, and the rush of finding an unexpected gem is a special kind of rush.

And most importantly, it’s the best when a book kind of finds you and it turns out to be great. That’s the best find.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied

The treasure hunt aspect of finding books is something that kindles and Amazon can never replace. I like books as objects, and finding an Easton Press at Goodwill or a rare first edition at an estate sale helps The book tell another story. Even better when you find it at a ridiculously cheap price.

My two biggest finds: a signed copy of Keroauc’s Subterraneans that set me back 25 whole cents and a signed copy of Joe DiMaggio’s autobiography that was a dime. Those two make my double signed first of Good Omens that I found for $4 seem outright overpriced. Haha I’ll never come close to replicating those finds, but the hunt sure is fun.

Good luck on the hunt!
    Those are phenomenal finds Doc! I have to agree, the hunt is one of the most fun aspects of collecting no matter what you collect. I prefer and get so much more joy out of finding a book or other such treasure "in the wild" as it were as opposed to just buying it online. Thrift stores, estate sales, yard sales, flea markets and church sales are all great places to hunt and you never know what you are going to find. The prices at those sort of places are usually always cheap and to me that makes the find even more exciting.

Those signed books you snagged for less than a song are amazing finds...well done! I've added a few signed books over the years from the hunt to my collection, but nothing as great of a deal as the ones you found. Still, I was more than happy to pay what they wanted. My best signed finds didn't come from a thrift store or other such place, but surprisingly came from a used bookstore. Now don't get me wrong, those shops are incredible places to go and spend hours at looking for books and you never know what will end up on the shelf. The nice thing is there is bound to be something there worth getting. Used bookstores are usually a little less expensive than online, but bargains don't turn up nearly as often as they would at a thrift store. Most used bookstores know what they have and price items accordingly. However, every so often some things do get missed and put on the regular shelves with a price tag that seems like a mistake and not locked up in a showcase with a price tag that will make your eyes pop out of your head.

I've been lucky twice at Half Price Books and picked up a signed copy of Views by Roger Dean (best known for his Yes album cover art) for $8 and a signed limited edition copy of Firing The Cathedral by Michael Moorcock for $12. Both are in excellent condition and should have been priced way higher, but I wasn't about to complain. I didn't even know the Roger Dean was signed until I got back in the car and started looking at it closer. I wanted the book because I love his artwork. When I found out that it was signed, the book became an even bigger treasure to me! The signature on the title page is really cool too, it was done at one of the Nearfest progressive rock festivals and he drew a YES logo above his signature. Of course with Mike's book I would have purchased it anyway for $12 even if it wasn't a limited signed edition, as I enjoy reading his books immensely and Jerry Cornelius is one of my all time favorite characters ever created!

My only signed book finds at Goodwill so far have been Fountain Society by Wes Craven for $2.29 and Metal Of Night by Mark W. Tiedemann for $1.29. The last book was picked off the shelf on a whim. I didn't know who the author was, but the title of the book grabbed me so I read the back cover and it sounded like a really interesting science fiction/space opera sort of story. The cover art was really nice too, not that I judge books by their cover, so I bought it. When I got it home was when I saw that it was signed...bonus! The book turned out to be one of the best sci-fi stories that I've read in a long time, so I ended up finding a new author to read and the book is a really great addition to my collection.

Good luck to you as well Doc...the hunt continues!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied

Thanks! I should go back to that particular Goodwill and see what other goodies they've put in those bins. I checked out a few others in the area and they were all doing the same with several book bins to dig through, but I wasn't able to find anything that interested me.
    The treasure hunt aspect of finding books is something that kindles and Amazon can never replace. I like books as objects, and finding an Easton Press at Goodwill or a rare first edition at an estate sale helps The book tell another story. Even better when you find it at a ridiculously cheap price.

My two biggest finds: a signed copy of Keroauc’s Subterraneans that set me back 25 whole cents and a signed copy of Joe DiMaggio’s autobiography that was a dime. Those two make my double signed first of Good Omens that I found for $4 seem outright overpriced. Haha I’ll never come close to replicating those finds, but the hunt sure is fun.

Good luck on the hunt!

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied

I love this! What a great find.
    Thanks! I should go back to that particular Goodwill and see what other goodies they've put in those bins. I checked out a few others in the area and they were all doing the same with several book bins to dig through, but I wasn't able to find anything that interested me.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    I've just ordered a copy of, The Vengeance of Rome, to complete the, Pyat quartet. About time I started reading the next chapter.
    To me there’s always a weird sadness to finishing a long brewing (and good) series. We all waited so long for Vengeance, and then I lost the urgency to read it because I knew the quartet would be finished for me (as much as anything is actually finished in the multiverse) as soon as I read it.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied

All three in excellent condition and beautiful alongside the other Easton Press editions I've collected over the years. I'm looking forward to reading these, it was a good treasure hunting day!
    I love this! What a great find.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I've just ordered a copy of, The Vengeance of Rome, to complete the, Pyat quartet. About time I started reading the next chapter.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Took a trip to the local thrift store yesterday and brought home a few pleasant surprises for my collection. The shelves where they keep the books were on the sparse side and contained nothing very exciting (to me anyway), so at first it was a bit disappointing until I turned the corner and saw someone digging through a rather large bin on a pallet filled with books. I went over and there were three such bins filled to the top with what the store was calling unsorted books and media. I felt my adrenaline pumping and was very excited to start digging for treasures, which I did with enthusiasm. At first I noticed a large amount of Forgotten Realms Dungeons And Dragons paperbacks, which looked interesting and probably entertaining, but the condition of them was well below my standards for purchase. I passed on those, but continued my dig through the bins making sure I took the time to go to the bottom of each of them. My persistence paid off because at the bottom of the third bin were beautiful Easton Press leather bound editions of classic books. I am primarily a reader of sci-fi, fantasy and horror, but I do enjoy the classics as well and have a particular admiration for collectors editions of them, especially those that the Easton Press publishes. The quality of the binding and pages are superb and their volumes are beautifully illustrated as well. I was extremely excited to find several of their books that I wanted for my collection and even more excited that the thrift store wasn't charging more than their standard hardcover book price for them. At only $2.29 per book I couldn't resist taking the three I found home with me!

The Oresteia by Aeschylus

Grimm's Fairy Tales by The Brothers Grimm

Faust by Goethe

All three in excellent condition and beautiful alongside the other Easton Press editions I've collected over the years. I'm looking forward to reading these, it was a good treasure hunting day!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Great choices! (Not that you need anyone’s validation for your choices 🙂). Of course all of us here would say every bookshelf looks better with Mike’s work on it. And that Tachyon collection is great.

Leave a comment:

• Kymba334
    replied
    These tomes acquired today 1st hand from my favorite book shop in town:

Elric : The Sleeping Sorceress (2013 Gollancz edition) and

The Best of Michael Moorcock (Tachyon Publications, 1st edition 2009)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X