Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first Maigret novel, Pietr the Latvian by Georges Simenon and the new Rivers of London novel, False Value, by Ben Aaronovitch.

Comment

Shocking that we've got to April and it's "none so far". Well, none for myself. I am starting to dig into the "still to read" pile which is good!

Comment

Rothgo, good to see you back man. I am in the same status, my still to-read pile is big.
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Managed to obtain Michael Moorcock's new versions published by Centipede Press of:

The Sleeping Sorceress, The Sailor On The Seas Of Fate and The Fortress Of The Pearl.

unfortunately none of the above are the signed and numbered copies

If anyone has a copy of Elric Of Melnibone they want to sell please let me know, but not at the silly extortionate prices that have been on Ebay recently
          Last edited by TheOutcastEnchanter; 07-19-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Preston and Child's latest Pendergast book, Crooked River. I have about 5 other books to read before getting to this one.

das

Comment

Yesterday while shopping for an ill relative recently released from hospital and now recovering at home from a non- Covid 19 infection i took a 10 minute detour to visit a second-hand bookstore quite close by to the grocery store and luckily for me both were within walking distance of my current place of residence ( in yet another one dog town...)

For the reasonable sum of $5.50 i acquired the following two novels :

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury ( a replacement copy ) and one not read before by someone also in my own top 10 list of favorite writers : There are Doors by Gene Wolfe.
              Last edited by Kymba334; 06-04-2020, 05:33 PM.
              Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
                Yesterday while shopping for an ill relative recently released from hospital and now recovering at home from a non- Covid 19 infection i took a 10 minute detour to visit a second-hand bookstore quite close by to the grocery store and luckily for me both were within walking distance of my current place of residence ( in yet another one dog town...)

For the reasonable sum of $5.50 i acquired the following two novels :

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury ( a replacement copy ) and one not read before by someone also in my own top 10 list of favorite writers : There are Doors by Gene Wolfe.
                Man, I love these two books. I only have the digital version of both. Good to know you are also a Gene Wolfe fan!
                Congrats on the purchase!
                "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Popped in a thrift store after work yesterday and saw a book sitting on the shelf that I had passed on the last time I was there a few months ago and thought to myself at the time "why didn't I buy that book?" Well I was happy and surprised to see it was still there, and of course this time I wasn't going to pass on it. The Pawn Of Prophecy by David Eddings is one of those books I remember fondly from my youth. I couldn't pass this 1980's paperback up a 2nd time for only $1.29 and it's in really nice condition with very minimal wear. I'm looking forward to an eventual re-read!
                  "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                  'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Eddings' books are great fun to read, though not too quickly in succession else the similarities start to grate.

Comment

A topic for a different thread, but Eddings disappointed me on an adult re-read. Sometimes the nostalgia gets in the way, and other times it makes all the difference in a good experience. Hope you have a better nostalgia trip than I did Jack of Shadows!

Finally got Erin Morgenstern’s The Starless Sea. I loved the Night Circus, but I’ve read that the new one isn’t up to the older one’s high standard. That came right after my signed copy of Jeff Vandermeer’s Dead Astronauts. Both are in the to read pile that is way too large...

Comment

Finally acquired a tome ( a trilogy in one heavy volume ) that i've been meaning to read for some time now in order to fill in some outstanding gaps in my understanding of Moorcockian lore :

The War Amongst The Angels ( Gollancz 2019 edition.)
                        Mwana wa simba ni simba

Comment

Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
                          Finally acquired a tome ( a trilogy in one heavy volume ) that i've been meaning to read for some time now in order to fill in some outstanding gaps in my understanding of Moorcockian lore :

The War Amongst The Angels ( Gollancz 2019 edition.)
                          This is my probably my favorite of Mike’s fantasy work. Blood sets up everything well, Fabulous Harbors develops ideas through linked short stories, and War Amongst the Angels explains the entire eternal champion cycle through the lens he creates. Great characters, too. All four main characters have stuck with me for years. If you have access to it, the Multiverse graphic novel is great companion piece. I hope you appreciate it as much as I (obviously) do!

Comment

These tomes acquired today 1st hand from my favorite book shop in town:

Elric : The Sleeping Sorceress (2013 Gollancz edition) and

The Best of Michael Moorcock (Tachyon Publications, 1st edition 2009)
                            Mwana wa simba ni simba

Comment

Great choices! (Not that you need anyone’s validation for your choices 🙂). Of course all of us here would say every bookshelf looks better with Mike’s work on it. And that Tachyon collection is great.

Comment

Working...
                              X