Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany


Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What was the last book you bought 2020

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What was the last book you bought 2020

    Used to be

    https://www.multiverse.org/forum/the-media-web-%E2%97%A6-entertainment-forums/books/19490-what-was-the-last-book-you-bought-2015
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

  • #2
    "Metal Of Night" by Mark W. Tiedemann. Found it hidden on a bottom bookshelf at a thrift store. The title sounded interesting so I pulled it off the shelf and looked at the cover. I never judge a book by its cover, but this one had really nice science fiction artwork so I was drawn to it a little more. I flipped it over and read the back cover and thought the story sounded interesting and cool, so I decided to give it a go. When I go to thrift stores and used book stores I tend to look for books from authors I have read and enjoyed, but once in a while something different will jump out at me by an author I know nothing about, this was one of those books. As an added bonus the book is signed by the author!
    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

    Comment


    • #3
      Mentioned in the "what are you reading" thread. But the latest book i bought is also the latest book I'm reading.
      "never ending story" by Michael Ende

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
        Mentioned in the "what are you reading" thread. But the latest book i bought is also the latest book I'm reading.
        "never ending story" by Michael Ende
        I haven't read that book yet. I always enjoyed the movie. I'm sure the book is far better, they always are.
        "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
        'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

        Comment


        • #5
          Earthsea by Ursula K LeGuin

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

            I haven't read that book yet. I always enjoyed the movie. I'm sure the book is far better, they always are.
            Yeah there's a LOT more detail to the story and it explains a lot more of what WAS in the movie.
            It's a fun, relaxing read. :)

            Comment


            • #7
              Me and the Mrs. popped in a thrift store today that we had never been to and WOW they had a very large selection of books. All genres were covered including my favs (science fiction/fantasy/horror), the quality of them was excellent, and the prices were on the cheap (.79 cents for paperbacks and $1.50 for hardcovers). I picked up 4 very nice hardcovers...

              Sisterhood Of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson (2011 Tor 1st edition)
              The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov (1972 Doubleday book club edition)
              The Goblin Mirror by C.J. Cherryh (1992 Del Rey 1st edition)
              Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh (1994 DAW 1st edition)

              With finds like these, I'll definitely be going back often! :-)
              "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
              'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
                Me and the Mrs. popped in a thrift store today that we had never been to and WOW they had a very large selection of books. All genres were covered including my favs (science fiction/fantasy/horror), the quality of them was excellent, and the prices were on the cheap (.79 cents for paperbacks and $1.50 for hardcovers). I picked up 4 very nice hardcovers...

                Sisterhood Of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson (2011 Tor 1st edition)
                The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov (1972 Doubleday book club edition)
                The Goblin Mirror by C.J. Cherryh (1992 Del Rey 1st edition)
                Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh (1994 DAW 1st edition)

                With finds like these, I'll definitely be going back often! :-)
                1.50 for hardcovers!!!!!!!!!
                Any Gene Wolfe , Jack Vance or Moorcock?
                "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

                  1.50 for hardcovers!!!!!!!!!
                  Any Gene Wolfe , Jack Vance or Moorcock?
                  No, unfortunately there weren't any of those authors. There was an Arthur C. Clarke, some Elizabeth Moon, and a few Stephen King trade paperbacks.
                  "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                  'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X