Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Echoes of Moorcock - David Mitchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talisant
    replied
    Haven't read Ghostwritten yet,
    but my wife's been raving about it for a few days now,
    guess I'll have to add it to the "in" box.

Leave a comment:

• cfyork
    replied
    Mitchell

I have read interviews with Mitchell and I agree that he seems very personable.

Regarding, "getting carried away" - I guess what I am referring to is the constant use of various dialectals in some of the portions of "Cloud Atlas" mainly. It rendered it virtually unreadable for me - though I may be confessing my ignorance in admitting it. God knows, Mitchell has sheer talent when it comes to prose, I guess I felt he just went a bit overboard in "Atlas". Actually, Number 9 Dream was much more readable and still enjoyable. And I do know Cloud Atlas had more acclaim than any of his other books, so maybe it is just me....

Glad to see another Mitchell fan. You will LOVE Ghostwritten. Look out for various connected symbols, images that appear throughout the various stories. I have read it 4 times now and I have discovered more each time I have read it. It almost makes for a literary mystery of sorts.... Fun stuff.

Chris

Originally posted by Keele
    I've only read Cloud Atlas thus far, though I have copies of his other three books sitting on my bookshelf. I really like what I've read so far, though I can see what you mean about Mitchell getting carried away. I get the impression that this doesn't happen as much in Black Swan Green, which is about a thirteen-year-old in 1980's Worcestershire. I'm rather surprised that Ghostwritten was your favorite, as most readers, from what I hear, say Cloud Atlas is his best. Maybe Ghostwritten will be the next Mitchell I read.

By the way, if you ever get the chance to go to a Mitchell signing, do so. He's a very good speaker and very nice to the attendees. He had conversations with pretty much everyone in the signing line and was willing to sign all four of his novels (though I only had one with me). He seemed like a really nice guy.

Leave a comment:

• Keele
    replied
    As for his subsequent books - "Cloud Atlas" and "Number 9 Dream" - Let's just say I wasn't quite as enamoured with them. Mitchell seems to get carried away in his own prose sometimes to the point he seems to be showing off at the expense of a good read. At least so in these two books. I never had that feeling with Ghostwritten.
    I've only read Cloud Atlas thus far, though I have copies of his other three books sitting on my bookshelf. I really like what I've read so far, though I can see what you mean about Mitchell getting carried away. I get the impression that this doesn't happen as much in Black Swan Green, which is about a thirteen-year-old in 1980's Worcestershire. I'm rather surprised that Ghostwritten was your favorite, as most readers, from what I hear, say Cloud Atlas is his best. Maybe Ghostwritten will be the next Mitchell I read.

By the way, if you ever get the chance to go to a Mitchell signing, do so. He's a very good speaker and very nice to the attendees. He had conversations with pretty much everyone in the signing line and was willing to sign all four of his novels (though I only had one with me). He seemed like a really nice guy.

Leave a comment:

• cfyork
    started a topic Echoes of Moorcock - David Mitchell

Echoes of Moorcock - David Mitchell

I was blown away recently by what I found to be an incredible read - David Mitchell's "Ghostwritten." Very hard to classify in terms of genre - but the depth and the style with which he writes is very good.

Not only that, but the book struck me as hitting the same philosophical note which Moorcock usually hits in his stories - which more than anything else is why I read them. So if you like Moorcock and feel like giving something differernt a try i would recommend it.

As for his subsequent books - "Cloud Atlas" and "Number 9 Dream" - Let's just say I wasn't quite as enamoured with them. Mitchell seems to get carried away in his own prose sometimes to the point he seems to be showing off at the expense of a good read. At least so in these two books. I never had that feeling with Ghostwritten.

Definitely a very good, young writer to watch.

Also - I haven't read the latest one - something "Swan Green".... so no opinion on it.
Working...
X