Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Gene Wolfe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Wolfe

I posted this topic in the Q&A section without thinking of putting it here. I really like Gene Wolfe's books. Mr. M has said he had the pleasure of publishing his first work back in the sixties.

I loved the Book of the New Sun series, but I haven't heard anyone mention his Soldier of the Mist books - except me :). I'm a greek history buff and thought they were wonderful (the stories take place in hellenic Greece)

Anyone else read them and if so did you like them?
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

After reading your fascination with Greek history novels and the like, have you tried any of Steven Pressfield's Ancient /greek books( Tides of War, Gates of Fire or Amazon) all of which are splendid books. Also Massimo Manfredi's Spartan book is excellent. (Though I wouldn't suggest reading any of his Roman or Alexander books as the translation is atrocious.)

Comment

No I haven't read them but will look for them. Thanks.

I read alot of the boring stuff - Aeschylus, Sophocles, Plato, Aristophanes, Terrence, Homer, Seneca, Tacitus and many other dead guys! I have always been facinated by the reading. Thousands of years old but still compelling. I even like the "historical" writing (Tacitus, Thucydides, etc...). I am a true geek.

I just loved how Wolfe used peole and places from the time in slang form. Sparta was called Rope; Athens, Thought; Thermopoli, the Hot Gates; Xerxes, The Great King. The characters used these terms very casually, as if they wouldn't be refered to in any other way. For me that was great.

My father had me go to school to get a degree and make money, but I just studied the things I liked (classics) and got an English degree. Those are not much use here (USA) unless you teach and even then its doesn't pay much (says alot about the state of education here). That was some time ago, now I am a programmer. Go figure. I still have a library of books though. It grows constantly.

Ah well, we all start with our heads in the clouds and age brings us back down eh.
      When they had advanced together to meet on common
      ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
      and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
      each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
      mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
      killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Its a sad and lonely truth. Dorry I haven't replied for some time! I forgot I'd posted anything. Sorry!

Comment

I read and enjoyed The Books of the New Sun and actively sought them out as they were first appearing. I have a copy of the Gates of Fire by the much praised Mr Pressfield and can recommend it. Although my own reading of it stalled recently at chapter 11 I shall return soon. It's very grimly realistic.

Comment

Urth!

Aye, I loved The New Sun series and have seen and almost purchased The Soldier of the Mist several times. I've finally concluded that next time I see it, it's mine.

Also, Grey - I love your avatar (Obviously from the Urth series). Been meaning to tell you that.

Thanos

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation! I picked up a copy of the the New Sun Series, and am looking forward to reading it.

I've found some great reading material suggested throughout the site. Keep 'em coming!
              \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
              X