Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Help Mike is getting his ass kicked by Philip K.Dick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Mike is getting his ass kicked by Philip K.Dick

Help Mike is getting his ass kicked by Philip K.Dick in a Newsarama readers poll. here's the link http://www.newsarama.com/forums/show...threadid=51162

Come on guys(and gals)you've got to help Mike out. Here's what one expert said when I said to name one modern fantasy author better than Mike. Originally posted by flutegirlrockz
    You are way of base saying that Moorcock never stood out. Name one better modern fantasy author.

David Eddings
    Robert Jordan
    Charles de Lint
    David Drake
    Robin Hobb
    Harlan Ellison
    Terry Goodkind
    Margaret Weis
    Tracy Hickman
    Michael Stackpole
    Neil Gaiman

Now the problem with Moorcock was that his works coincided with other immitators of Sword and Sorcery type works when initially published.

When I read that list I laughed so hard my abbs were sore, the only writers on that list that I have heard of that are worthy of carrying Mike's jock strap are Harlan Ellison and Neil Gaiman. Plus the guy can't count I only asked for one author.

Comment

Grrr... They wouldn't let me vote for Mike, the fiends. And I registered and everything. :(

Comment

Originally posted by spaced_moorcock
        Grrr... They wouldn't let me vote for Mike, the fiends. And I registered and everything. :(
        You have to enter through the equivalent of the front door of the Forum, can't get there from here.

Comment

Originally posted by flutegirlrockz
          David Eddings
          Robert Jordan
          Charles de Lint
          David Drake
          Robin Hobb
          Harlan Ellison
          Terry Goodkind
          Margaret Weis
          Tracy Hickman
          Michael Stackpole
          Neil Gaiman

Gaiman is the only author worth rementioning from this list, the rest are pretty formulaic fantasy writers. For a good spin on a fantasy look at "Stardust," one of my favorite books by Neil Gaiman.

Comment

I did my bit - voted for Mike :)
            Ken Boorman
            Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

David Eddings
              Robert Jordan
              Charles de Lint
              David Drake
              Robin Hobb
              Harlan Ellison
              Terry Goodkind
              Margaret Weis
              Tracy Hickman
              Michael Stackpole
              Neil Gaiman

Gaiman is the only author worth rementioning from this list, the rest are pretty formulaic fantasy writers. For a good spin on a fantasy look at "Stardust," one of my favorite books by Neil Gaiman.
              I personally think Robin Hobb is also a good writer. She's very good at first-person accounts, and she makes the characters the most interesting and important element of her books. In Fool's Fate, for example, I found myself much less interested in the magic and mayhem (though there were suitable amounts of both) than I was in how it would turn out for the main character.

I myself haven't yet read Gaiman, but I bought one of his books on a whim earlier today, so I think that problem will soon be remedied.

Comment

I find nearly all writers on that list pretty formulaic and derivative, with the exception of de Lint and Gaiman.

de Lint is a top-notch short story writer and Gaiman plays with genre tropes better than most. In addition to Stardust, I can't heap enough praise on American Gods.

Comment

I like Neil Gaiman, funny, whimsical, but he is not in the same league as Mike!

I have only read Deathbird Stories by Ellison, and for some reason felt that I did not like it?! It is a style thing I thing,he his too slick and self assured.

David Eddings, churns out the same stuff, in fact now if a book says.....quest, wizard and companions on the back cover I dont pick it up. i want to read not jog round the countryside, and frankly Eddings is such hard work, you feel like that would be the easy option!

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
                    Harlan Ellison a formulaic fantasy writer?

Comment

in all honesty i would say most of the people there choosing Dick have no clue who Mike even is and they can all eat a ...... dick

Comment

Phil Dick is a brilliant author though, it has to be said. There is a good Moorcock quote on some of the editions of his novels as well. Currently I'm having a blast through Beyond Lies the Wub.

Comment

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
                          Harlan Ellison a formulaic fantasy writer?
                          Yowza! Don't let Harlan hear THAT being said! :D

Comment

The only way I might consider Harlan Ellison a formulaic author would be when I see so man others who have tried to emulate or imitate him. In other words, the only fomulae are those that other (and usually lesser) authors have tried to use.

BTW- As I remember, Dick was one of the only American authors deeply involved with the New Wave (or New Worlds movement). MM published his work several times as editor of NW.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                              The only way I might consider Harlan Ellison a formulaic author would be when I see so man others who have tried to emulate or imitate him. In other words, the only fomulae are those that other (and usually lesser) authors have tried to use.

BTW- As I remember, Dick was one of the only American authors deeply involved with the New Wave (or New Worlds movement). MM published his work several times as editor of NW.
                              Spinrad and Disch - Americans?
                              "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Working...
                              X