Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What music accompanies your reading time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What music accompanies your reading time?

I always like to listen to some background music while I read, what about you?

I listen to the Conan the Barbarian Soundtrack for most my Sword & Sorcery time. "Battle of the Mounds" is a most excellent track to hear while reading a fight scene!

I don't really have any instrumental music, and I couldn't listen to songs while I was trying to read because I'd start singing along (I've already started crow-barring song lyrics into my stories when they distract me). So... my not very interesting answer is, no music at all.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I'm the polar opposite, without music my mind wanders and I lose concentration. I recall listening to the Exodus Theme during my first read of Frank Herbert's Dune, now the song has no meaning to the film, but that of 'thopters and sandworms :D

Comment

Beethoven Sonatas, Loreena McKennitt, Spanish classical guitar pieces, Philip Glass, nothing too exciting or feet-tapping-provoking.
        Google ergo sum

Comment

I can't listen to music when I reading a good book. The involuntary head-banging makes it a little hard to focus on the page after a while. :)

Comment

I actually used to listen to music when I was doing anything in my youth, whether it be homework, reading etc so I kind of developed a barrier to the distraction. Usually I listen to Hawkwind while reading, though I don't exactly have a specified set of music for reading to. I like a bit of classical sometimes, depending, as it can often accentuate the story.

Mixing the Sex Pistols with the Eternal Champion can produce some strange results though...

Comment

Nothing, except the silver birch tree outside my bedroom window... very calming... :)

Comment

It depends on what I'm reading. Mostly I like something that can serve as pleasant background noise, but I think I might enjoy a recording of MissD's birch tree :D

Comment

The sound of a silver birch does sound nice.

At the moment I'm having to try and ignore the sounds of my neighbours arguing with each other. I've taken to listening to Tom McRae (using headphones) in a effort to drown them out so I can concentrate on reading. Luckily for me, Tom is chilled enough that I don't get distracted by the music.

Comment

I should be recording tapes for you all then! :D

I love it awhen the rain falls against my window as well, and I'm nice and snug on my bed with a book... bliss.

Comment

I like listening to waves crashing against the rocks while I read Moby Dick :D

Comment

I tend to listen to either pre-romantic symphonies or celtic, both traditional folk and the modern stuff. I love the romatics like Beethoven, etc, but find it a little too distracting when reading, so I stick with something a little lighter...Handel, Vivaldi, some Mozart, etc.
                        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Re: What music accompanies your reading time?

Originally posted by Azariel
                          I always like to listen to some background music while I read, what about you?

I listen to the Conan the Barbarian Soundtrack for most my Sword & Sorcery time. "Battle of the Mounds" is a most excellent track to hear while reading a fight scene!
                          oh my. i could never have music in the background. what i like to listen to would distract me and i couldn't focus on the words. so reading and writing time is in peace and quiet.

Comment

I listened to the Conan Soundtrack while I wrote The Flame of Sin, go figure. . . :)

Comment

I like to listen to Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade. Inspiring stuff.
                              ..he weeps with the wonder of suddenly recollected innocence, of something he believed lost as everything else is lost to him and which makes him believe, if only for this moment, that what he has lost might be, perhaps, restored.

Comment

Working...
                              X