Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grey Mouser View Post
    Perhaps I should mention this in Johneffays thread but for some reason I never finished Gates of Fire - will have to go back to it someday soon. Currently I'm re-reading the Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K LeGuin. Found out recently she'd added another two books to her Earthsea material.

PS DC how are the Spartan's presented in Pressfield's book?
    I finished Gates of Fire - but I didn't really care for Pressfield's literary style all that much. It was perfectly adequate, but just a little pedestrian for my taste - the prose was a little rough and unpolished (the same adjectives used over and over). Still he finished the book, which is further than I've gotten... ;)

Not having read too much about the Spartan era of ancient Greek history, I'm not too sure how accurate the book is, but there's a fairly heavy bibliography in the back, so there's no reason to doubt that he didn't do his homework. He doesn't mythologise the Spartans (unlike 300), his view is of "ordinary men doing an extraordinary job".
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Chabon's The Final Solution, what a fine little book so far.
      "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Got myself two more of Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus crime stories set in Edinburgh that I like so much. Fascinating, but devastating for my stock of Whisky ...
        If you like really complicated stuff, have a go.
        Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
          'urban erotica': there's a genre I've never come across before.
          There's a line that Sid James might have uttered had only there been a "Carry on Reviewing"

Comment

My Reads...

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who's constantly reading multiple books.

I'm almost done with Scott Smith's "A Simple Plan" and I've got a plan of my own to start his "The Ruins" next.

I just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Totally brilliant! It's getting a place of honor on the bookshelf next to my other favorite post apocalyptic reads like "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson, "Earth Abides" by George Stewart, and "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (If anyone can recommend anything else in this sub-genre I'd really appreciate it!)

Comment

Just finished "A maze of death" by Dick and now I am reading

"The mythic journey" - it's a book about the psychological/scial interpretation of various myths.At least the myths themselves are very interesting!

Comment

I picked this one up at the library

Chicken Little is alive and well. He works at CNN.

Comment

Current Reading

I'm reading Dragon Blade by Andre Norton and Sasha Miller, Aces of the Reich by Mike Spick and Swords and Ice Magic by Fritz Leiber.
                  Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

Currently reading 'The Martian Chronicles' by Ray Bradbury. First read it a looong time ago, so it's almost as if I've never read it before. So far so good. RB has quite a droll turn of phrase about him at times, and his descriptions are very evocative. I especially enjoyed the self-contained story/chapter 'The Earth Men,' very funny.

It's made me want to read 'Martian Time-Slip' by PKD, but then I've been meaning to re-read that one for a while.
                    Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 04-20-2007, 04:44 AM.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Sundiver by David Brin - I'm only a couple of chapters in and I'm already enthralled! Aside from some of Mike's early stuff, its been years since I've read any sci-fi, so its making a nice change!
                      Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

Comment

• Max, you may wan't to check out the Sci-Fi sub forum about what we're reading, you may get some insights about Brin. We don't give anything away but we do give you something to think about while you're reading.
                        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Well, I've just finished reading 'The Martian Chronicles' and I must say I enjoyed it. I'd been wanting to re-read this one for a while and now I understand why.

Mostly, the Mars described in the book reminds me of the Mars in 'Sirens of Titan', one of my favourite books. There a few short stories incorporated in the novel, one of which reminded me very much of Mike's work and another of PKD's work.

The first, 'Usher II', could have a part lifted and placed in one of Mike's 'Dancers...' books without raising an eyebrow. The description of a party is uncannily like one of Mike's from said books. I wonder if Mike ever read it? The second, 'There Will Come Soft Rains', describes a post-apocalypse L.A. with a mechanised house which could have easily been written by Dick.

There are a great many evocative passages in the book, Bradbury writes with great style. The only negative to book is the projection of the US culture from the time of writing to the future. I feel society would have changed from the effects of the events in the story and this could have been reflected better in the book. Still, I'd give it about 8/10.
                          Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 07-06-2007, 01:47 PM. Reason: Sp.

Comment

• Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5".
                            Needed some time to get used to his seemingly erratic style. And I'm not entirely happy with the translation, but it was quicker to get the German version. Pretty fascinating, though, sometimes reminding me of the Karl Glogauer stories of Mike.
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

• Voidfarer

I gave up on "Dragon Blade" by Sasha Miller and Andre Norton. About twenty pages into the book, I said to myself "This is incredibly boring and derivative. There's nothing new or original here." I started reading "Voidfarer" by Sean McMullen instead. Very interesting and funny. Now this is an original book, albeit he's parodying "War of the Worlds." Reminds me of Terry Pratchett's "Discworld." The first novel, that is, which was a parody of Larry Niven's "Ringworld."
                              Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

• I have just finished reading Nikolai Tolstoys' "Quest for Merlin". Great stuff and he presents a pretty good case for a British "Shaman" type doing his thing circa 500 ce in the Caledonian Forest.

Not "Hollywood" or "Cosmicly Wanky" Arthuriana, but the result of a pretty impressive academic addressing an issue which he clearly knows a lot about and loves.

Cheers,
                                Sean The Bastard

Comment

Working...
                                X