Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 2/3s of the way through Forge of Heaven by C.J. Cherryh. It's a great little nanotech thriller with all of her usual futuristic politics (but in a new universe from most of her SF work.)
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I've just finished reading Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville. I absolutely loved it! On this evidence, Mieville is one of the few people who can match Mike for sheer imaginative talent, although PSS could have benefited from slightly less complex language in a few instances. Nevertheless, it's one of the most emotionally engaging and unpredictable books I've read in a long time. One of his other books, Iron Council is set in New Crobuzon, the same city as Perdido Street Station, so hopefully I'll be able to read that before too long.

Comment

Not an actual book, started reading the Deadwood transcripts.
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Originally posted by Hawksun
          I've just finished reading Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville. I absolutely loved it! On this evidence, Mieville is one of the few people who can match Mike for sheer imaginative talent, although PSS could have benefited from slightly less complex language in a few instances. Nevertheless, it's one of the most emotionally engaging and unpredictable books I've read in a long time. One of his other books, Iron Council is set in New Crobuzon, the same city as Perdido Street Station, so hopefully I'll be able to read that before too long.
          Whilst it's just as good, I found Iron Council far easier and quicker to read than PSS. Also if you didn't know there's yet another book in the New Crobuzon, setting; The Scar

I think, I've not laid hands on a copy yet, but thats what the internet tells me.

Comment

Just a few pages away from the end of Monte Cristo - absolutely brilliant book, if for nothing else - the character study of The Count.

I might give Holdstock's Mythago Wood a go next - something slimmer is definitely on the menu.

I had to invest in a new bookcase at the weekend - while free books are a definite perk to my job, the wife is getting irrated at the piles of unread texts cluttering up the place!
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
              For Class-1, Grade-A Trash, you really need to read this book:

See also The lowdown Big Apple Takedown for a hilarious review.
              I can absolutely beat that - try http://www.amazon.com/Thug-Licious-N...e=UTF8&s=books

It describes a character "laughing like a motherfucker". I can totally relate... I mean, I would laugh if I f*cked someone's mum ;);-)
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                Wow, 'urban erotica': there's a genre I've never come across before.

Comment

Originally posted by Necrocute
                  Whilst it's just as good, I found Iron Council far easier and quicker to read than PSS. Also if you didn't know there's yet another book in the New Crobuzon, setting; The Scar

I think, I've not laid hands on a copy yet, but thats what the internet tells me.
                  Yeah, I found that out while browsing on Wikipedia after I made that post. I'm really looking forward to returning to NC at some point (but only because it's so easy for me to get out; I wouldn't want to live there or anything!)

Comment

The Age of Misrule (comprising World's End, Darkest Hour, Always Forever) by Mark Chadbourn - brilliant fun, as the Age of Mystery finally comes around again, magic flows into the land, and the might of the Fomorians and Tuatha De Danann tears up the country!
                    Brilliant stuff so far!
                    Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

Comment

Originally posted by Max von Bek View Post
                      The Age of Misrule (comprising World's End, Darkest Hour, Always Forever) by Mark Chadbourn - brilliant fun, as the Age of Mystery finally comes around again, magic flows into the land, and the might of the Fomorians and Tuatha De Danann tears up the country!
                      Brilliant stuff so far!
                      I really enjoyed it. Try tracking the group on Google Earth - it gives a really good feel for the journey and visualisation...
                      Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                      Bakunin

Comment

Heh, well I've already been to the place where the Sword of Nuada was kept!
                        Nothing like standing on the edge of Tintagel to get the blood going!
                        Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

Comment

Nearly finished Jack Vance's The Dying Earth. First time I've read any JV and I'm loving it. Kind of reminds me of Dancers at the End of Time in some ways.

After that I'll read a few stories from Philip K Dick's We Can Remember It for You Wholesale, until I think of something else I want to read. I'm not a fan of PKD's novels in general but as a short storyist he rocks!
                          forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                          2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                          3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

I'm reading The Iceman - Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Philip Carlo.
                            My husband who has only read one book is pushing me to hurry and finish so he can read it

Comment

Interested in part by that terrible 300 movie, I'm reading Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. For the history, not the writing.

Next on the agenda, I'll probably start one of the following:

The Three Musketeers
                              Tros of Samothrace
                              Count Belisarius

Though right now, the recently published biography of Augustus Caesar looks interesting...

Comment

Perhaps I should mention this in Johneffays thread but for some reason I never finished Gates of Fire - will have to go back to it someday soon. Currently I'm re-reading the Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K LeGuin. Found out recently she'd added another two books to her Earthsea material.

PS DC how are the Spartan's presented in Pressfield's book?

Comment

Working...
                                X