Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$resurrect,thread :D

Currently I'm reading Fire From Heaven by Mary Renault, historical fiction, the early life of Alexander the Great of Macedon. Good stuff, although I'm really curious as to how much is supported by historical evidence and how much she's embellishing.

--Doesn't matter too much, though; it's well-written and we know how the story will end. :)

Comment

Just finished Lunatics by Bradley Denton. Its a comic romance about a despondent widower who falls in love with Lilith, godess of the moon, who demands that he strip naked every full moon so she can find him. Needless to say, his worried friends get involved. Pleasantly silly and often very wise.

Comment

I just finished The Once and Future King by T.H. Wells. i had read it as a child and bought it for my children but reread it before them :<
        Right now I'm about 160 pages into Wilbur Smith's Blue Horizon

Comment

Shouldn't that be T.H. White?

Ken
          Ken Boorman
          Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

In the Wells version King Arthur comes back to Camelot in a time machine. It is a new spin on the "once and future" thing.

Comment

Last new book I read was Jim Butcher's latest Harry Dresden novel, Proven Guilty. Decent urban fantasy/horror, with a sense of humor.
              Best/Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                In the Wells version King Arthur comes back to Camelot in a time machine. It is a new spin on the "once and future" thing.
                You win.

I'm currently reading Bernard Cornwell's Enemy of God, which is another Arthurian story. It's my opinion that The Warlord Chronicles, Cornwell's trilogy of Arthur stories, is the best thing that he has yet written. Enemy of God is historical fiction somewhat reminiscent of Mary Stewart, though bloodier and much more fast-paced.

I've also been reading a lot of Dorothy L. Sayers lately. The Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries are quite addictive. So far I've read Murder Must Advertise, The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club, and Strong Poison. I'm sure I'll be reading more soon. For one thing, I've heard great things about The Nine Tailors.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                  His appearance in a giant tripodal fighting-machine with heat-ray, however, really surprised the good folk at Camelot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                    $resurrect,thread :D

Currently I'm reading Fire From Heaven by Mary Renault, historical fiction, the early life of Alexander the Great of Macedon. Good stuff, although I'm really curious as to how much is supported by historical evidence and how much she's embellishing.

--Doesn't matter too much, though; it's well-written and we know how the story will end. :)
                    Book Club on BBC Radio4 just reviewed just reviewed The Persian Boy by her, it's a view of Alexander throught he eyes of a slave who gets gelded. It got a very good review.
                    Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Yep, I finished that one right before Fire From Heaven. Normally I don't read two similar books in a row and invoke a bit more variety (fantasy -> SF -> historical -> horror -> nonfiction, etc.)......but The Persian Boy was so good I wanted to follow it right away with another Renault.

...Which I just finished, and it was excellent. So, now I'm tackling Knife Of Dreams. In between RJ's unceasing bowings, scrapings, birchings, switchings and sniffings, there may actually be a contiguous plot.

Comment

Shouldn't that be T.H. White?

Ken
                        sorry about that :)
                        I am bad about names I still call one of my favorite authors Mary Doria Sherry when it's Russell not Sherry :<:<
                        Last edited by Idiot_Savant; 07-05-2006, 05:32 AM.

Comment

I hate it when I remember a book and can't remember the title or author (or get them just a bit off)

Remember that novel by that guy... James something or the other...

My memory is this bad now. I hate to think of it in about 20 years. What was I saying?

Comment

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

Comment

Gai-Jin by James Clavell

Comment

Hey I-S-- What do you think of Eggers? I like him, although I'm hard pressed to explain to people why I do...

Comment

Working...
                                X