Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What book are you reading at the moment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doc View Post
    I finished The Traveler over the weekend, and I agree with most of your sentiments. The themes echo some of Mike's basic ideas about chaos and order, and they are interesting (if not as well done as, say, the Second Ether trilogy), but they take a very distinct back seat to relatively mindless action. Still, I'm into it enough to try the sequel at some point. However, much of this is because I feel cheated out of an ending.

Gibson is one of those people who seems to have cornered the market on smart ideas written for a mass audience. I don't find him as self-congratulatory as some. Bruce Sterling is OK, too, but I don't find his writing as strong, even if the ideas and story are nearly so.

Having said all of that, I am not trying to be a "against the mass market" literary snob. On the contrary, I'm excited that people with that kind of readership are actually including challenging ideas in their work, even if they don't really do them justice.
    Gibson's earlier stuff really was groundbreaking. Not just from the tech viewpoint (which was impressive). But, also the dystopia he created. Probably the best not-too-distant future dystopia since Dicks. His more recent two books were ok (Pattern Recognition and Spook Country). I see I clipped off the meat of the common ground I found in Twelve Hawks sequel and Spook Country. Its:

Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Just finished the Mosley edition of Mike's LSD Dossier. It had one real big flaw, but otherwise it was a really good yarn. Mike has already declared it crap, but I kind of liked it. But then, I like spy books and spy movies in general. Thanks to Mr. Mosley for all the hard work in putting up here in pdf.
      Last edited by Kevin McCabe; 09-30-2007, 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
      Kevin McCabe
      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Hey, Groakes! You always seem to be reading interesting things. Good to see you sharing your stuff...
        A pleasure. I've been away recently working on IT infrastructure architectures. Bubonic Plague makes a welcome change!

One (of many) things that was quite interesting - one reason that medieval approximations tend to be quite large (e.g. population and death figures) is that the calculations were done in Roman numerals so even simple mathematical calculations could be quite complex!
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

• I've just started reading The Dark Tower Vol 2 The Drawing of The Three by Steven King and I'm still reading River God by Wilbur Smith, Remarks - The Story Of R.E.M by Tony Fletcher and The Hardy Boyz by Matt and Jeff Hardy with Michael Krugman.

Comment

• Just finished
            Eagle in the snow

Very good book of history fiction.Plus it ended quite good,although I knew what would happen more or less.

Comment

• The Warlord Of The Air, The Land Leviathan and The Steel Tsar in succession.
              I was reading myself to sleep at night and waking up and reading again at 5am in order to find out what happened next.
              Sooo captivating Mike!
              My mind is still reeling.
              Thanks man....

Comment

• Finished re-reading th Elric Saga last night. Back to my first read of the Quartet. Almost finished - I've got about 2/3's of the Condition of Muzak left.
                Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Brilliant quartet although cure for cancer kind of threw me a little bit.Im waiting for my copy of city of the autumn stars to be delivered so meanwhile have been reading The open cage by Daniel Start,a book id recommend about 4 british journalists who were taken hostage in Irian Jaya the author being one of them. Happy head feeding!!
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• I have just started reading The King's Most Loyal Enemy Aliens
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

• Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak View Post
                      The Warlord Of The Air, The Land Leviathan and The Steel Tsar in succession.
                      I was reading myself to sleep at night and waking up and reading again at 5am in order to find out what happened next.
                      Sooo captivating Mike!
                      My mind is still reeling.
                      Thanks man....

All at once, huh, VG? Bastable is a great, great character, and I love Una!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                        Finished re-reading th Elric Saga last night. Back to my first read of the Quartet. Almost finished - I've got about 2/3's of the Condition of Muzak left.
                        How has your head not exploded with existential doubt? What a combination!

Comment

• Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
                          I have just started reading The King's Most Loyal Enemy Aliens
                          Interesting. Is this research or for pleasure?

Comment

• I'm reading the last of the Malus Darkblade GW novels - a real guilty pleasure.

I'll have to go for something a bit more substantial to follow - wife is currently reading Milan Kundera!
                            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

• Imperial Ambitions
                              Conversations with Noam Chomsky on the post 9/11 world
                              Interviews with David Barsamian.

Comment

How has your head not exploded with existential doubt? What a combination!
                                Nah, I'm all good. Just needed a break in Mother London to catch up on an old friend and make a new one for some mental comparisons. You know, Stormbringer reads as well now as in 72.
                                Kevin McCabe

Comment

Working...
                                X