Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Karl Edward Wagner's Kane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karl Edward Wagner's Kane

I'm half-way with "Dark Crusade" in the short-lived novels of Kane. Has anyone else read Wagner's Kane. I've throughly enjoyed "Bloodstone", which though considered standard Sword & Sorcery, Wagner's style for writing ancient combat scenarios is unmatched.

Wagner is an author who somehow or other I've managed to miss reading over the years. A friend of mine was very enthusiastic about Wagner's Kane and often encouraged me to try his books but I never did. If I'm lucky I've still got a Kane book somewhere in my archive that I can rescue and read sometime; Bloodstone, I think it was.

I read your dialogue with Mike in the Q&A re Kane with interest. If you have time, and it doesn't give away too much, what's Kane's background and how does he relate in comparison to other protagonists in S&S?

Comment

Kane is none other than Cain from biblical mythology, who brought violence into the world. He is refered by Wagner as the "Black Promethus" who brough violence to man instead of fire. And though its him, clues to that past are jaded in mystery in text and Wagner, which is part of the fun of unlocking the details. As to the stories, there the bridge between Elric and Conan (where as Elric was heavy on sorcery, Conan heavy in combat) Kane "the Mystic Swordsman" is both a barbaric figure of equal, if not surpassed brutality of Conan and utilizes ancient super-science and sorcery than fear them. I hope I didn't give away too much, but fueled the desire to go find Bloodstone, which by the way was very good. Highly recommended Sword & Sorcery that, like Mike's stuff, doesn't really seperate good from evil.

Comment

KEWs Kane stuff is superb. If you enjoyed "Dark Crusade" you must get your hands on "Death Angel's Shadow". The novella contained within - "Reflections for the Winter of My Soul" - follows on directly after Kane escapes through the Tower of Yslsl. The other novella in that volume "Cold Light" reads well for this day and age as it disects the nature of fundamentalism - in this case the fundamentalism of "good". The remainiing short story "Mirage" is nicely atmospheric"

KEW's writing I have always found to be marvellously atmospheric. He had the knack of creating mood through implying vast and otherworldly powers and mysterious histories without having to describe the detail. The overall effect was mesmerising as he consistently blurs the lines between "good" and "evil".

"Darkness Weaves" follows in much the same vein as "Dark Crusade" and has a good description of Kane's history. "Bloodstone" also has a similiar storyline but still makes for a good and exciting read.

"Nightwinds" is a collection of short stories and contains some of the best Kane writings - I would rate this and "Death Angel's Shadow" as the best. Certainly all the stories in "Nightwinds" are brilliant. The short story form suits KEW's writing style to a tee and they combine great stories, wild action and tremendous atmosphere.

Highly recommended! :D
        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
        Bakunin

Comment

I'm still trying to get "Death Angel's Shadow" and "Darkness Weaves" off ebay, where I've gotten most my out of print items. There well worth, even for the sheer artwork alone, if anything!

Comment

Oh yeah great books . Kane is as different from all other sword swinging heros as Elric is. It is too bad that KEW ,like REH was taken way too early in life. Thank Chaos we still have MM around.

Also a couple years ago Nightshade publishers released 2 new hard cover Omnibus(es),heh never wrote that word as plural before, Its great to have all the stories in two volumes to reread when the storms move in and darkness falls.

Comment

I'd love to get my hand on those collections, but, even on Ebay, there quite expensive due to the limited amount made. I've found it cheaper, though a lil' harder to get the originals (w/ awesome covers by the likes of Frazetta and others). But I'll get the omnibuses one day!

*starts saving his pennies*

Comment

P.S. AND on an unrelated note, I'm a Champion of the Balance now! YAY! :D

Comment

Also a couple years ago Nightshade publishers released 2 new hard cover Omnibus(es),heh never wrote that word as plural before, Its great to have all the stories in two volumes to reread when the storms move in and darkness falls.
                  I snagged both of them on ebay for $10 and $15 respectively. Got lucky I guess - assuming I don't get ripped off
                  Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

At that price, I hope not! As for my luck, I've onlty found new editions in mint ranging 40-50$ a piece :(

Comment

those are great prices I know I paid 25 plus Uncle Sam's tithe
                      congrats

Comment

Well I got the books - and am most impressed. Both Gods in Darkness and Midnight Sun are in mint condition, and seem to be first editions.

One of those rare occasions when I've gotten an absolute bargain on ebay.
                        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Lucky

Comment

Congrats and enjoy. I remember how excited I was when I came across them

Comment

If anyone's interested - there's a copy of The Midnight Sun going for $16.95 (buy it now) on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Midnight-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
                              X