Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Iain M Banks....Great stuff if you like Sci Fi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iain M Banks....Great stuff if you like Sci Fi!

I've loved his books so far, The Culture, one of his main themes, is a bit like a parody of new labour in space!
    No young, or child-like prodigys involved!
    Read aany of these Mike?

Re: Iain M Banks....Great stuff if you like Sci Fi!

Originally posted by Richard Eldritch
    I've loved his books so far, The Culture, one of his main themes, is a bit like a parody of new labour in space!
    No young, or child-like prodigys involved!
    Read aany of these Mike?

I read a lot of Iain M Banks and found his work a tad bland in comparison with authors like John C.Wright (The Golden Age).Banks's folk seem too much like working class Scottish folk you'd meet in a shopping centre in Glasgow, even if they're supposed to come from some star spanning culture. Banks also cheats just to have a twist at the end of one of his culture stories (Use of Weapons is it?) ans Consider Phlegm, oops! sorry Phlebas has the most unlikeable protagonist take far too long to meet his demise.His books do make excellent toilet paper by the way!

Comment

Don't overlook the hazards of papercuts!

Rabelais always recommended the backs of geese instead.

LSN

Comment

Sphagnum moss, as demonstrated by DP fell running in Ilkley.
        'Perdix's Panty Products - holistic care for your crevice'.
        Soz. True retrospection took over for a sec, there.

Comment

Speaking of paper cuts did anyone else ever wonder if the communist salute (clenched fist), nazi salute (extended palm) inspired Churchill's V-sign as the only one of the three left unused (i.e. stone, paper, scissors).
          Was the whole of the period around WW2 just one long, terrible game of 'Blunted ya!' 'Cut ya!' 'Wrapped ya' ?).
          It's been a hard week.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

:lol:

There must be a book in that, or a sketch; or at least a way of enlivening history lessons... :) Maybe Chamberlain only played marbles at school and so plumped for paper over scissors.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
              Speaking of paper cuts did anyone else ever wonder if the communist salute (clenched fist), nazi salute (extended palm) inspired Churchill's V-sign as the only one of the three left unused (i.e. stone, paper, scissors).
              Was the whole of the period around WW2 just one long, terrible game of 'Blunted ya!' 'Cut ya!' 'Wrapped ya' ?).
              It's been a hard week.
              :lol:

That's going to have me laughing for weeks. Cheers Mike! :notworthy:

Comment

:clap:

I'm thinking at least a graphic novel or maybe the first ever all-clone reality television show.
                "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

That's got to be the finest bit of Welt-politik/ Playground Pastime fusion I've seen this week!

Genius, sir.
                  Genius.

Comment

Finally, the world's funniest joke - as reported on Monty Python's Flying Circus - has been explained in a non-lethal format.
                    I agree with Perdix. Genius, Mr. M., as soon as I read it I had to go and tell my wife.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                    X