Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

George R.R. Martin, Robin Hobb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George R.R. Martin, Robin Hobb

Just interesting, is anyone else here who is into Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series (very complex and interesting, actually non really a fantasy, more just like a history story from another world) and Robin Hobb "Assassin" series?

I am very much into Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. I only just discovered him last year, but I have finished the first three books, and now wait impatiently with everyone else for A Feast for Crows.

Martin creates wonderful characters and intriguing storylines. At first, it was a little confusing trying to keep up with everyone especially since he changes point of view with every chapter. But he handles that technique well, and after a while, I looked forward to catching up on what was going on with this character in that part of the world.

I have not read anything by Robin Hobb, but I understand she is one of Martin's favorite authors.

Comment

Martin didn't do it for me. Read the first book but found it pretty weak.

Although I'm in a minority on this, so each to his/her own!

Comment

RR Martin

Read the first book on my honeymoon in Corfu, it was great. The honeymoon and the book.

The second bored me and the third well.....

I also don't like the mans attitude to his fans it's as bad as teryy Goodkinds.

Moorcock's attitude is nearly one of a kind, he talks to us here for instance.

Anyway enough of me. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Comment

I really love Robin Hobb's books. She's one of my favourite authors, with a beautiful style and very interesting characters. Her heroes are deeply moving, they are not perfect, they seem so real... :D
          GRR Martin is good too, you never know who's going to win in his stories. Quite long, but it's not boring, there are many developments, and many characters. But his universe is not very original.

Comment

It's been awhile since I seen someone so charged up by a book. I just talked to someone who was reading George R.R. Martin. He was saying how he really hated the characters sometimes, but loved the books and liked other characters.

It was the mentioned A Song of Ice and Fire books that he was talking about.

they must be pretty cool.

Has anyone else here picked them up?

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Martin : I red the Games of throne serie.

i loved the novels ..... characters are complex and the story, even long, is full of surprise.

the end is openned.

Hobbs ( the assassin serie ): Beurkh : the anti-hero is uninteresting ..... The story weak and with no surprise. One idea does not makes a so long story !

Comment

I'd recommend both Martin and Hobb.

I really liked Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies, though I could never get into her Liveship Traders series, as I get easily frustrated with books that have lots of nautical terminology. I've yet to start her new trilogy, which begins with Shaman's Crossing, though I plan to start it later thus summer. I'd suggest starting with the Farseer trilogy, which begins with Assassin's Apprentice. You could then go straight to the Tawny Man books, but I understand that you'd enjoy the series a bit more if you read the Liveship Traders books first. I didn't, but you might wish to.

The Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies are very closely tied together, while the Traders books have only a few recurring characters from the previous books, though some characters from the Traders series appear in the Tawny Man trilogy. The first and third trilogies are told in the first person, while the Liveship Traders books are told in the third person.

I really love Martin's books, though I wish he could write them more quickly. A Song of Ice and Fire is apparently going to finish at seven books, and I can't say that I'm enjoying the wait for books five through seven. If you don't mind some serious waiting, definitely start reading Martin. I'm glad I did, as much as I may protest at some of the crueler cliffhangers Martin has ended his books with.

If you're interested in history, Martin might be a good choice, as he draws quite a lot from various historical sources. The War of the Roses is the most obvious source, but there are parallels with many other places and periods as well, including a very memorable riff on Byzantine history in the second book.

Comment

I've read A Game of Thrones, and although I found the storylines somewhat difficult to disentangle and the slightly-mangled-English character names slightly distracting, I did re-read it, and I'm hoping to get A Storm of Swords at some point. However, it is competing with Raymond E Feist's Riftwar novels, so I might make more progress on the latter.

While I'm on the subject, why is it that Feist and Martin both have characters named Tully (Father... and Catelyn..., respectively) in them? Coincidence?

Comment

Thanks! it certainly sounds like it's going to be worthwhile reading the Martin books. :)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

It will be; I've found them to be extremely enjoyable.

My nickname for them is "low fantasy," not because they are inferior in any way, but because there is very little of the lofty idealism often present in high fantasy. Characters die often...or seem to. Often at swordspoint, and sometimes you want to cry at the waste. There are no pretty elves to prance about, just a lot of people who go about their lives in much the same way we do, doing their jobs and often dying for it.
                      Characters swear a lot. They often have good reason to.
                      Characters actually have to relieve themselves, an activity that most high fantasy series kinda overlook; here it has sometimes formed part of the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Everydayislikesunday
                        I also don't like the mans attitude to his fans it's as bad as teryy Goodkinds.
                        Terry Goodkind's attitude in general... about his fans, and particularly about other works of fantasy and the fantasy genre, turned me off to him completely.

I was not aware that George Martin was the same way and do not get that impression from his website or any of the forums I have read. Just wondering what gave you that impression of him?

As for the topic... I loved both The Farseer/Tawny Man trilogies, and A Song of Ice and Fire. I just wish there was not so much of a wait between books!

Comment

I have read the first two books of SoFaI...
                          Well,they are good,pretty good...The characters are so many but they are built nicely and it's not confusing like in Erikson's books let's say.But I didn't like the often deus ex machina.Actually you can guess who will prevail,always.The one you think is going to loose!

I haven't read Robin Hobb,but from what I've heard she is not as good as Martin.
                          I prefer older writers most of the time.But at least Martin-and Erikson I must admit-are slipping away from the Tolkienesque genre of epic fantasy.

Comment

I can't stand Martin, to be honest - not only are his books ludicrously long and slow, but everytime I get attached to one of his characters, he kills him or her off - and always in a deeply unpleasant and unsatisfying way: no heroic last-stands, no glorious death-and-glory charges, just... splat. It's all just a little bit too depressing for me. Read book one, couldn't get into book two.

Hobb, on the other hand, is brilliant, especially in the case of her Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies. Great characters, good pacing, and while her books are very dark at times, there's always a faint glimmering of light somewhere. They also explore plenty of good contemporary issues - drug addiction and the persecution of minorities being among them - but always as part of the story - it's never 'in your face', so to speak. IMO, she's the finest fantasy author since... well... Mike.
                            Arma virumque cano.

Comment

I have recently been reading the SoIaF by R.R Martin.
                              I am currently realing "A clash of kings".

I am quite enjoying the books.
                              Contrary to some views, I like the idea anyone can die at pretty much any time, and not necessarily heroically.

The plots are faily complex, but even so, I found it easy enough to keep a track of.

I also like the low magic in the books, although I DO enjoy books with high magic in them too.

Comment

Working...
                              X