Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Conclave of Shadows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conclave of Shadows

Has anyone read the new Raymond E. Feist books? I recenty finished The Exile's Return. It was pretty good. Feist's books move along fast. Those could be made into movies fairly easy. There will be a 4th book in the Conclave of Shadows series that will be out next year in the US and I think by October in the UK. Exile's Return pretty much set things up for the 4th book. As good as the Riftwar novels were,I still of course like Moorcock the best.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Its good , yeah. Kasper is not the first person you would think of as a lead but he works well.

Glad to know there is a new book coming. Will get on ebay and buy it when it comes out there!

I reckon Kasper has a lot of adventures coming!

Comment

I also would like to get the Legends of the Riftwar series. They don't have a US publisher, time to order off the internet.
      They are Jimmy the Hand,Murder in Lamut and Honoured Enemy.

Kaspar is an interesting character now.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hello,

I just read Flight of the Night Hawks by Raymond E. Feist.

It had a great ending! :D I thought it was a very cool story.

Pug,Miranda,Magnus,Celeb,Talwin,Kaspar,Amafi,Pasko and all the other great characters are in this book. Oh, I can't forget to mention Nakor. ;)

I don't know when Feist will write the next one, but I certainly will read it!

:)

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yeah, its out! Thanks for the title, now I know what to look for.

I have all the Riftwar and Serpentwar books. I have tales of the Riftwar, theyre good.

I also have, the boring and badly written collaborations he did with a woman who i cant think of right now. Boy are they dull. They involve the stupid and moronic, Mara and the boring wretched life in Kelewan.

I mean , its a good idea ,right, setting it in Kelewan?! In theory, and with a good story and writing. Not this horror.

I am selling these horrors as soon as I can.

They are slow, dull, fussy, and lacking in action.

You can usually rely on Raymond Feist for action and adventure and a good plot right?! Not these.

Comment

Ya, I did not read that Kelewan trilogy, I feared they would be bad, and now I know for sure, thanks. I have a feeling Feist only gave his name and a little background to those books.

Enjoy the Nighthawks, there are two more books that are not wriitten yet in that series. Into a Dark Realm and Wrath of a Mad God. :D

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Everytime Feist comes out with a new one he comes to a local book store here, for signings, since he lives close.
              I like his work and have read all of it. I kinda think of his stuff as political fantasy(sorry, I try to label everything), his way of weaving in the economies and treaties while still having some main characters(mostly knee deep in drek) move thru the compleate world he has made. Great stuff that makes you have to think of all the details to fit the pieces together.

RE: Legends

Had to run downstairs and look at my books, they are London published huh? I get them at this store (which for a very small store always has great author signings) heres a link

http://mysteriousgalaxy.booksense.co...store/IndexJsp

GRRMartin should be by in October(does happy dance)

Comment

Hi ArgentWolf,

That looks like a cool store. I agree, Feist does put alot of political stuff in his books. He makes some very interesting characters. Hard to believe he made Rise of a Merchant Prince to be almost totally about one character just so it would all come together in the later books. He is real good at building things up. :)

I got that book at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...350990-7919657

I bought the Voyager UK edition, I did not want to wait until next year after I found out about it. :lol:

I also saw on a web site that he is supposed to write two other books called Dark Empire and Magician's Sons, unless those are alternate titles, I am not sure. ;)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:25 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya, I did not read that Kelewan trilogy, I feared they would be bad, and now I know for sure, thanks. I have a feeling Feist only gave his name and a little background to those books.

Enjoy the Nighthawks, there are two more books that are not wriitten yet in that series. Into a Dark Realm and Wrath of a Mad God.

Lemec Wrote

I thought that might be the case. There seems little fiest in those books.I like Miranda, shes a cool character.
                  I had trouble getting The Shattered Crown(dont remember the name right, last one in Serpentwar series)

I also own a extended Magician, which I havent got round to reading.
                  I now have a duplicate set of the first four Serpentwar series.

Which should I sell? The older more battered copies, or the newer unread ones?
                  I think for my future reading, i shall sell the older ones.

Which would be worth more, on Ebay?

Comment

oooh, extended Magician, I might have to get that some time. :D It will be nice to go back again and see where it all began. The new books mention alot of events from the earlier books.

I do not know what their value would be. It's probaly best to do as you say. Yolanda. Unless they have old covers that somebody wants, they might be equal in value I am not sure. Books are alot different than other collectibles. Alot of things that I thought about selling on e-bay were not bringing any high bids.

I think that one book is called Shards of a Broken Crown and yes, it is hard to find,strange isn't it? Rage of the Demon King was a best seller and 'Shards' was the conclusion to the story, but there are not many around and I do not think it made the bestseller list, that is weird, surely those who read the others would want to see the end,right? Maybe it is because it had a cool name. ;)

Yep, Miranda is cool, magic runs in the family,hehe.

Caleb got passed over though,haha,so there must be more to it than bloodlines. William, son of Pug also was a soldier and not a magician, talking to animals would be fun though.

Spoiler Alert Below *****

************************************************** **********

Pug discovers some interesting things and I suspect he will figure out certain mysteries like contacting people from.......(I better not say.) hehe.

************************************************** **********

End Spoiler, anyway, I really enjoyed the books, the idea of having the Conclave in the first place is very cool. 8) :clap:

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm on the first one at the moment.

It's not a bad read, nothing particularly original but it does keep your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                        You are mistaken.

Feist and Janny Wurts have both indicated that those three books (the 'Empire' trilogy) were a true collaborative effort, and indeed, it was quite a trying experience for both of them, one they decided they didn't want to repeat for the sake of marriages, etc. 8O

Incidentally, I quite liked them, as a change of pace from yer basic Olde England-based fantasy setting (which Krondor et al. fall into). The Empire beyond the Rift is a fascinating juxtaposition of Mayan (maybe Aztec, it's been a while) and Japanese feudal systems, yet it seemed to 'work' for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                          Originally posted by lemec
                          You are mistaken.

Feist and Janny Wurts have both indicated that those three books (the 'Empire' trilogy) were a true collaborative effort, and indeed, it was quite a trying experience for both of them, one they decided they didn't want to repeat for the sake of marriages, etc. 8O

Incidentally, I quite liked them, as a change of pace from yer basic Olde England-based fantasy setting (which Krondor et al. fall into). The Empire beyond the Rift is a fascinating juxtaposition of Mayan (maybe Aztec, it's been a while) and Japanese feudal systems, yet it seemed to 'work' for me.
                          Hello Pellaz,

That's good. I did not know much about those. All the other reader's that I talked to about the Rift War and Serpent War said they never read those.

I stand corrected and I am now interested again in checking those books out. I think I will try to find them as hard covers in the used book stores, if not I'll go buy the paperbacks. Kelewan is still a big part of the stories, so I should learn more about the place,hehe. That sounds like it will be pretty cool now.

Thanks,

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Cool. You can always pick them up used and for cheap somewhere, and if you like them, do what I do and pick up new copies to support the authors.

I forget which book it was in -- possibly the second one -- but I still get a shiver up my spine when I think of the "Night of Knives" scene, wherein the various feudal lords all gather at the Emperor's palace for a conclave...and much bloodshed ensues. 8)

Comment

I suspect that a person who would like the fast, full on action of the normal Fiest books, would not like the soppy, fussy, boring Kelewan trilogy.

They are just not the same. They dont even feel related.

Youd think that books on Kelewan would be cool.

I hope Fiest tries again with a better writer or on his own, and writes a new kelewan set. That actually involves action, not vast pages describing insane and pointless and boring detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X