Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Robert Jordan Conan Novels any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Jordan Conan Novels any good?

I was wondering if anyone has read these books and how good they are. I've got Conan The Invincible, Conan The Defender, Conan The Triumphant and Conan The Unconquered. I haven't read any of Robert Jordan's other stuff (I'm very wary of large books especially fantasy one's) but these don't look to big and L.Sprague de Camp say's there good and I like his stuff.

I find the Conan pastiches range in quality from "ok" to "abominable", but I'd put Jordan's in the former category.
    They're easy to read junk novels, I suppose - unchallenging, but not irritating or unreadable.
    Faint praise, I know, but I hope it helps.

I did enjoy the two/three Andrew J Offutt pastiches, as well as the Karl Edward Wagner one, but the stuff published 1985-1997 by Tor just got worse and worse.
    Still, they make you appreciate Howard much more....
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl f'tagn"

Comment

Ok I just read the Da Vinci Code so I'm used to dumb stuff, I'll probaby read them when I fell like something light.

Comment

I certainly think the earlier pastiches were better . The Jordan ones actually started to turn me off reading any others to be honest . I would recommend John Hocking's Emerald Lotus though.

Terry
        The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/

Comment

There's a new Conan novel out, too (just received it in the Waldenbooks where I work). The author's name is something like Colton. It's from Ace. That's all I know.

Bran Mak Morn will be available any day now, though. Keep an eye out for it.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by [i
            Locus[/i],Dec. 2003]Ace has aquired the rights to Conan's "Hyborian Adventures", to be packaged by Conan Properties International, and will publish three original trilogies, each set in a different realm of Robert E. Howard's ancient Conan world of "Hyboria". The first trilogy is due Summer 2005. Ace's agreement with Conan Properties also includes three unconnected YA novels that conform to the Hyborian continuity, and a novelization of the upcoming Conan film, scheduled to start pre-production mid-2004. Authors have not been announced.
            Originally posted by Matt Forbeck
            A hot-off-the-presses copy of Loren Coleman’s Blood of Heroes showed up via UPS today. It looks great, and I have high hopes that it will make a great launch for Ace Books new line of Age of Hyborea novels set in Conan’s homeworld. The book is due on shelves on May 31, so soon you’ll all be able to get copies of your own too.

I had little to do with this book other than checking through the page proofs just before it went to press. My predecessor on the line, Jeff Conner, handled the actual story editing instead. Still, I feel a bit of pride to see the book made real. I hope you’ll all enjoy it.
            http://www.forbeck.com/?cat=17
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Thanks for the added info, Mikey.

I only had a chance to glance at it, see the Conan logo before I had to finish unpacking the other 80 cartons of product received in that day. It'll take a little while before I can read more about it while at work.

I also just picked up the trade of the new Dark Horse comic book series as well as volume 7 of the Marvel reprints. The New Busiek penned series has some interesting, colored but not inked artwork by Cary Nord. Very much akin to old Frazetta pencil work, including some panels looking unfinished.

So much to read, so little time... but a good time for R. E. Howard fans -- again. Perhaps they'll even get that movie made.

Jeff

Comment

Re: Robert Jordan Conan Novels any good?

Originally posted by flutegirlrockz
                I was wondering if anyone has read these books and how good they are. I've got Conan The Invincible, Conan The Defender, Conan The Triumphant and Conan The Unconquered. I haven't read any of Robert Jordan's other stuff (I'm very wary of large books especially fantasy one's) but these don't look to big and L.Sprague de Camp say's there good and I like his stuff.
                I've not read them but I would advise you to read some of his other books. I have read the wheel of time series(all the books so far) and I really liked those. They are very long though.

Comment

The Conan books are a mixed bag, but all are entertaining and quick reads, which is a change for the standard bloated fantasy books. But if I were to recommend anything, read Robert Jordon's novelization of the film Conan the Destroyer, which was 10 times better than the film and filled many loop-holes and characterization that would have made the film better (and given it an R-rating too)!

Comment

Aren't they running out of names for Conan Pastiches... I'm sure they've run out of decent 'Conan the...' titles.

Conan the Hungover
                    Conan the Slightly Annoyed
                    Conan the Incontinent
                    Conan the Impotent

Can Tor write these books please?

Comment

:lol:

Yeah, I never enjoyed the titles, but I sure enjoyed those books though! Campy, escapist fun. . .

Comment

Think Perdix would put 'Conan the Incontinent' in PX if I wrote it?

Comment

I'd have to say that Jordan is one of the better pastiche Conan writers out there. I just finished reading Conan the Magnificent and it wasn't too shabby. He's no REH of course, but he's no Lin Carter either, thank Crom.
                          I'm reading the third book in the Legends of Kern series by Loren L. Coleman and the verdict is positive. I admit it...I like 'em.
                          ..he weeps with the wonder of suddenly recollected innocence, of something he believed lost as everything else is lost to him and which makes him believe, if only for this moment, that what he has lost might be, perhaps, restored.

Comment

Let me know how thos are. i've yet bother with Age of Conan books yet.

Comment

In my mind there's no doubt that Howard's stories are the best. Lin Carter's were terrible, Sprague de Camp's worked and Andrew Offut added some nice touches to a couple of stories.

Of the books wich have appeared in the past 20 years I think Jordan's are the best I have seen. He does know how to spin a yarn, his characters fit, his stories are grand enough yet personal enough and most importantly he seems to have kept a little Conan checklist next to him as he writes ;)

Steve Perry wrote the worst of the modern Conan tales, one where Conan chooses to wander through the world with a couple of sorcerors! Not very Conan-like in my view.

Still, even the crappy ones don't tax the brain too much :D

Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X