Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

John Shirley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Shirley

this guy's not very well know in thew U.K., but his writing sounds interesting.

anybody read him? opinions?

I've always like John Shirley - The Eclipse trilogy is terrific fun, chock full of anti-Christian fundamentalist stuff anti-globalisation themes. The final scene of the first book has the hero standing on top of the Arc-de-Triumph playing Killing Joke and Joy Division on his guitar as the fascists crush Paris.

His other stuff can also be quite hallucinogenic - City Come a-walkin' and Wetbones are both pretty entertaining, Heatseeker a collection of short stories, has some great stuff in it.

Of all the so-called cyberpunks (and what a pointless genre description that is...) I liked him the most.

I haven't read the Eclipse stuff in years (I might have to dig it out) but I have a sneaking suspicion that it has probably become more topical rather than less.
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

Didn't John Shirley write a lot of pulp under various pseudonyms at one time?

I have a handful of Dell-published post-apocalypse stuff by someone apparently called D B Drumm. I think the first half dozen were by John Shirley.

Roger

Comment

I forgot to add, the books were not especially terrible ;) I got the impression that someone was writing them to order and slipping in a few clever references to keep himself sane while collecting a pay cheque.

Roger

Comment

Working...
        X