Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Most over-rated novel in your humble opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most over-rated novel in your humble opinion

My vote is Catcher in the Rye.

Over-wrought and insipid, which I found genuinely shallow and a complete waste of time. Since it is deemed a classic, it must have some redeeming qualities to it, but I couldn't find it. Holden just irritated the hell out of me and I wanted him to commit suicide so I could go back to my life. Unfortunately, he didn't, and I couldn't finish the book.

I'd throw Lord of the Rings and Dune in there as well. Just not my thing, move along.

Jeff

The f%&%(*%(*%n Da Vinci @[email protected][email protected]#$$#@[email protected] Code

Bugger me it's rubbish

Then I would put up Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon which was overblown, overwrought, overlong, and unfinished...
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

Originally posted by Groakes
      The f%&%(*%(*%n Da Vinci @[email protected][email protected]#$$#@[email protected] Code

Bugger me it's rubbish
      damn right.

Ron hubbard or Ayn Rand? hm... easy targets.

let me think.

Comment

The Lord of the Rings.

Tedious.

Comment

The Holy Bible? Das Kapital?

ok, sorry.

Comment

While commuting up to London everyday for work - I decided to pick up a couple of the books you see advertised on billboards at train stations. Not really sure what I was expecting - but pretty much every book I picked up I found to be tedious, excrebly written and derivative. Even some by well known authors (albeit authors I'd never read before). My favourite stinkers (in no particular order).

James Herbert ('Once' the one book of his I half-read)
            Stephen King (anything by)
            Terry Brooks (anything by)

Waterland - Graham Swift (the one book I shamefully admit to having burned on a barbeque at uni as a crazy student - I honestly tried to read the thing but it bored me to tears. It won some sort of major literary award I think back in 1984 - so I guess that makes me some sort of philistine.
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

It's got to be Harry Plopper. I started it, didn't get far. Maybe OK for kids, but certainly not for adults - what a triumph for marketing!
              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I have to take a moment to agree with mordenkainen's suggestion of anything by Ayn Rand-- but I guess I would have to choose Atlas Shrugged, since it is most famous. Rubbish as philosophy and worse as literature.

Comment

Shadowmancer. I cant remember the auther cos i care so little about it. What a pile of dung. It dissed witches. Moron who wrote it.

I only had the misfortune to read it cos a friend of my mothers sent it to read. Would rather it had never come near me.

Comment

It was written by a Vicar, I believe. 'Nuff said? :twisted:
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Exactly.

I also put forth
                      The Outremer series. Chaz Brenchly. What trash. From castle to desert to desert to more castle etc to desert. All stretched over 3 books, slowly. Its plot is weedy. Selling them.

Comment

Patronising

Anything by Ian Rankin (and what does that rhyme with?), he just writes the same book over and over and we have to stop every so often so he can list his favourite rock albums.

Anything by Alexander McCall Smith. Patronising and racist are just two words that spring to mind.

Comment

George RR Martin. Song of Ice and Fire.

got halfway through the first book

absolute b*llox. I have no idea what all the hype is about.

Suprficial cod medival fantasy written by someone with sod all understanding of the historical basis for what he's writing about.

and he thinks hadrian's wall is in Scotland which is f*ckin annoying to a pedantic Brit like me.

Comment

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and Hyperion/ Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Damm those Dan's. Thank god for Dan Millman the only decent Dan out there.

Comment

Mos Def The Davinci Code.

Comment

Working...
                              X