Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Ray Bradbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    It's amazing that Walt Disney(!) would have made the scariest film you've ever seen that was not rated R.
    ! is right. I had forgotten it was a Disney film.

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    I had no idea that the movie was made by Disney!
    Way above their usual standard,a fantastic movie which i actually saw before i read the book unusually.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc View Post
    It may still be the scariest film I've ever seen that was not rated R.
    It's amazing that Walt Disney(!) would have made the scariest film you've ever seen that was not rated R. I last saw it a few years ago and it's still a very powerful film imo. Probably one of the best live action films Disney's ever made.

Leave a comment:

• Kyrinn S. Eis
    replied
    Essentially the same for me.

Heck, I think I'll buy the DVD if I find it.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyrinn S. Eis View Post
    I think they succeeded very well in creating an ominous tone to the movie, while still reining-in raw horror for its target-group audience of the younger folk. I think I was perhaps fifteen?

I want to see it again, now, too!
    I was about the same age when I saw it. I had really started losing some of my innocence in small town America, and about small town America , so it was a perfect age to se it. Carnivals, in particular, had just begun to lose their mysteries for me. This is a bit sad now that I think about it, as the carnival pulling into my small hometown was a definitive event of summer. The movie reminded me of all of the possibilities that I once imagined carnivals had. I wonder if I still have that in me.

I think I will have to go to the video store this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Kyrinn S. Eis
    replied
    I think they succeeded very well in creating an ominous tone to the movie, while still reining-in raw horror for its target-group audience of the younger folk. I think I was perhaps fifteen?

I want to see it again, now, too!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by thingfish View Post
    If i had to be pushed to name a favourite mmm,i think i would have to opt for Something Wicked This Way Comes
    I mentioned the same thing earlier in this thread (although it was some years ago). It is the story that made me understand the word sinister. Really.

Kyrinn, I loved the movie, too. It may still be the scariest film I've ever seen that was not rated R. I would be interested to see if I still think that...

Leave a comment:

• Kyrinn S. Eis
    replied
    I bought that for myself this past holiday season and haven't gotten around to reading it.

I remember the movie; pretty spooky at the time when I saw it in the theatre; it was a big influence on my writing. It should be fun seeing how much more there is to the novel.
    Last edited by Kyrinn S. Eis; 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM. Reason: complete sentences, doofus!

Leave a comment:

• thingfish
    replied
    I still think he is a staple Kyrinn.
    He has been one of the authors who when im coming around to reading him again i cant wait!
    Just re-read A Graveyard for Lunatics recently and loved every minute!
    If i had to be pushed to name a favourite mmm,i think i would have to opt for Something Wicked This Way Comes

Leave a comment:

• Kyrinn S. Eis
    replied
    I find it odd that some consider him Minor, but each measure finds its own.

Everything I have read by him has only been good, if somewhat alien to my experience in this country, given the difference in decades and geography. Howeverm when I visited my relatives in Indiana, I began to see how relevant his writing was to the American collection.

His connection to the older Anglo-Saxon ways and their trace observances in our mis-aligned Memorial Day and Halloween was very refreshing, given his very genteel and 19th century-esque nature.

The story from the Chronicles that was referenced earlier in the discussion is among my faves by him, as is The Musicians (Usher ][, and ...).

I thought he was a staple. Perhaps I'm showing my age.

Leave a comment:

• zxvasdf
    replied
    My favorite Bradbury novel is The Halloween Tree. A relatively short read, and is a lyrical descent into the history of Samhain. Pippin is lost, taken, and guided by the wraith Moundshroud, his costumed friends chase him across regional and temporal celebrations of Halloween. My favorite scene is that of the druids. Vintage Bradbury and an underrated classic. A lovely child's bedtime story.

Leave a comment:

• flutegirlrockz
    replied
    Originally posted by devilchicken
    Robert E Howard hated cats too - he wrote an essay on the subject.
    I don't know why people hate cats unless there big ones. Dogs on the other hand, I've been bitten twice one was " a friendly one" or so the owner told me untill he bit me. The other one I had a fair idea who owned it but I had no proof and I was only 10 years old, so no one believed me. :(

Leave a comment:

• SteveS
    replied
    Re: Ray Bradbury

imho, he's one of the hidden greats, with a true story-tellers gift. I love his short stories in particular and thoroughly enjoy the magic he conjures. Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty locating my copies of his books, which some fiend boxed up and put in the loft while I wasn't looking!

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Sorry. I didn't intend to recommend it. I was simply observing that I really liked it. I'm uncomfortable telling other people to buy or read books just because I liked them.
    Well I chose it mainly because I've not read much Bradbury outside of Fahrenheit 451, and am relatively ignorant of much of his body of work. If it helps - it was a toss-up between The October Country and The Illustrated Man. The two people I went with bought pretty much every book on the list with the exception of The October Country - so I figured why not.

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    Well I got a signed HB copy of Fahrenheit for my dad, and a copy of The October Country (following LSN's recommendation).
    :roll: Sorry. I didn't intend to recommend it. I was simply observing that I really liked it. I'm uncomfortable telling other people to buy or read books just because I liked them.

Books, judged by intelligent, knowledgeable critics via reasonably well-established canons can generally be separated into "good" and "not good." No one can dictate or predict what another person will like. "I like it / dislike it" versus "It's good / bad" are two different propositions. The adage "there's no accounting for taste" seems أ  propos. That's why I don't like to recommend things to others.

I joked about taking a copy of Fahrenheit 911 - but my mother in law thought it would probably be a bad idea.

Ray Bradbury is pretty fragile and is now wheelchair-bound. But he still is remarkably passionate about writing - its really refreshing to see.
    He's 85. He and Asimov were contemporaries, and Frederick Pohl is just a year older, and Arthur Clarke 3 years older. Pohl appears to be holding up pretty well, but they're all getting up in years. Not many writers left from the days of Astounding and Unknown and Weird Tales. These guys are the last of the breed.

LSN

Leave a comment:

Working...
X