Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Scenes From Fairyland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenes From Fairyland

I've printed several of the illustrations for our limited edition of The Golden Key using the magnesium dies and they've turned out beautifully. We are so pleased Mr. Van Sandwyk has provided these wonderful drawings to decorate the prose imagery of George MacDonald's Fairyland. The special preorder price will end very soon. Rita has done a test binding with the Florentine endpapers and it looks stunning. We invite you to visit our website for more information and images of the book.https://www.peganapress.com/george-macdonald.html

Bit steep for me. It's been many a year since I read, The Princess and the Goblin and The Princess and the Curdie. Two wonderful, if rather odd, works of fantasy and well worth a read.

According to the Wikipedia entry for George MacDonald:
    ... His writings have been cited as a major literary influence by many notable authors including W. H. Auden, C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien,[1] Walter de la Mare,[2] E. Nesbit and Madeleine L'Engle.[1] ...
    A true master of the art of writing fantasy.

Comment

Yeah, too steep for myself as well. But kudos for the impressive looking volume, also for alerting me to the existence of The Golden Key which has led me to MacDonald's The Light Princess and other Fairy Stories (which looks like something I can read to my daughter -- who enjoyed The Princess and the Goblin when I read it to her earlier this year).

Comment

Thanks, about 6 months to make the book typesetting by hand. Phantastes and Lilith are his two most well known fantasies and definitely worth checking out as well.

Comment

I recall reading Phantastes and thinking just how much Lewis Carroll owed to that particular antecessor. IMHO of course.

Comment

He was indebted in several ways. Apparently MacDonald's children liked the then unpublished Alice so much that it encouraged Lewis to seek a publisher for the book.

Comment

Working...
            X