Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Good Read Sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Read Sought

Can any of you recommend a good book?

It needn’t be genre fiction (indeed I prefer defying genre)

Ideally it would blend some or all of the following:

Wolfes Books of the New Sun for depth of immersion

Mike M’s Dancers (for fun), Cornelius (for modernity) and Pyatt for literary fireworks

Sebald’s lyricism

Lovecraft’s portentousness

Brookmyer’s humour…..

Any suggestions?

Actually, I just finished "The Dead Key" by DM Pulley.

A young woman is hired to survey an abandoned bank building-and falls into a convoluted plot, running in two time lines.

Nothing supernatural, but lots of scares.

Worth the time.

Comment

If not Mike? I did think perhaps, Pratchett's DiscWorld novels (especially the Vimes, Witches and Moist von Lipwig series), some Thomas M. Disch, or Norman Spinrad. But then I thought, Thomas Pynchon.

I can only say that I've read The Calling of Lot 49, V and Gravity´s Rainbow. That was some time ago. The Calling of Lot 49 is a neat little age-old conspiracy novel - satire that has its loopy moments.

V is as beautiful and surreal as any work by Dali, also funny and daft. The serious content is hidden so far down that sometimes the text takes on a hallucinatory - dreamlike quality. I think Pig Bodine turns up in this one for the first time.

Gravity's Rainbow is set in the craziness of WWII. Both funny and despairing. The climax is especially wrenching. Our only salvation, Pig Bodine's most precious possession, a swatch of the bloodied shirt of John Dillinger.

Extraordinary works.

Comment

You can't go wrong with Pynchon!

His more recent "Against the Day", reviewed by our most excellent host, as I recall, is also pretty good-I loved it.

However, everyone ought to read "Gravity's Rainbow" at least once in their life. '

Comment

Thanks people- sounds like I should give Pynchon a try

Comment

Originally posted by krakenten View Post
            However, everyone ought to read "Gravity's Rainbow" at least once in their life.
            It wasn't quite as hard to finish as reputation would have it, but I'm not quite sure I have the strength to read it a second time;)

Comment

So tempting to shill for my own work--but, have you read some of Roger Zelazny's masterworks? I got the books of Amber in some enormous tome and that lasted me for a while, but a "while" of constant/consistent reading rather than any desire to put it down for any extended period of time.
              Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

The Amber books are classics, very much like hard-boiled detective fiction mixed with Conan.

The second cycle didn't measure up, I think RZ signed a contract he wasn't feeling, or needed the money.

The magic wasn't there.

Comment

I feel like the second cycle was rather 80s, the whole magical AI thing... it read different, yes.
                  Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

And for a personal favorite, Diana Gabaldon's sprawling 'Outlander' saga.

Just about every genre of popular fiction dwells therein, and does not disappoint!

Fiction advances just as everything else does, Outlander avoids the amusing silliness of mashup and delivers characters you really care about-I cried for three days(I took breaks) when Ian Murray's dog Rollo died! And he wasn't a real dog! I'd known him for as long as most real dogs in my life, and felt that I knew him so well. I was glad he died in his sleep.

There are many volumes in the series,and a couple of side ventures.

It'll keep you busy.

r

Comment

Working...
                    X