Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stanislaw Lem & Kobo Abe other non-US sci-fi/fantasy wri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanislaw Lem & Kobo Abe other non-US sci-fi/fantasy wri

I was wondering if anyone else has read Stanislaw Lem books, not just Solaris, but his other works. I was just re-reading "The Star Diaries" and "Cyberiad" and "Tales of Pirx the Pilot" and found some interesting parallels to MM's Cornelius series. Lem also wrote a facinating analytical essay about the state of Science Fiction in the collection "Microworlds". He wrote it in 1973, but it is still valid today.

I also have been reading Kobo Abe, a Japanese author, who is particularly good at surrealist fantasy. BoxMan, Woman in the Dunes, Secret Rendezvous and (still my fav) Inter IceAge 4.

What other non-US sf/f writers do people particularly like?

Re: Stanislaw Lem & Kobo Abe other non-US sci-fi/fantasy

Originally posted by Zoxesyr
    I was wondering if anyone else has read Stanislaw Lem books, not just Solaris, but his other works. I was just re-reading "The Star Diaries" and "Cyberiad" and "Tales of Pirx the Pilot" and found some interesting parallels to MM's Cornelius series. Lem also wrote a facinating analytical essay about the state of Science Fiction in the collection "Microworlds". He wrote it in 1973, but it is still valid today.

I also have been reading Kobo Abe, a Japanese author, who is particularly good at surrealist fantasy. BoxMan, Woman in the Dunes, Secret Rendezvous and (still my fav) Inter IceAge 4.

What other non-US sf/f writers do people particularly like?
    I've read a fair amount of Lem, including all the books you listed above. A few other books of his from my shelves: The Futurological Congress, The Investigation, Memoirs Found in a Bathtub, and Mortal Engines. An interesting writer, but not always to my taste.

The only things by Kobo Abe I've read are the aforementioned Woman in the Dunes (from which a curious movie was made) and Inter IceAge 4. It has been a while -- maybe 30 years. :?

As for sf/f not written in English, what about Italo Calvino? Invisible Cities and Cosmicomics and (one of my favorites) The Watcher and other stories.

LSN

Comment

Re: Stanislaw Lem & Kobo Abe other non-US sci-fi/fantasy

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
      I've read a fair amount of Lem, including all the books you listed above. A few other books of his from my shelves: The Futurological Congress, The Investigation, Memoirs Found in a Bathtub, and Mortal Engines. An interesting writer, but not always to my taste.
      I always thought The Investigation would make a great Wes Craven film because it was so creepy. Mortal Engines was more a collection of essays than stories. I did like The Invincible, and Fiasco is particularly good.

The only things by Kobo Abe I've read are the aforementioned Woman in the Dunes (from which a curious movie was made) and Inter IceAge 4. It has been a while -- maybe 30 years. :?
      I haven't seen the movie, I'll have to check it out.

As for sf/f not written in English, what about Italo Calvino? Invisible Cities and Cosmicomics and (one of my favorites) The Watcher and other stories.
      Thanks for the tip! 8)

Comment

I think there are not so many authors who has the typical characteristics of English written SF or they aren't translated. However, Strugatskis can be thought as classical SF writers.

I can give more examples for fantasy like Borges, Calvino, Pavic, Hoffman, Kafka. Like SF, they didn't write the way we have our minds nowadays when we talk about fantasy genre. I mean, they didn't write about dragons, swords, sorcery. But I don't think it's wrong to explain "Verwandlung" with the words "fantastic literature".

Btw, I'm reading If On A Winter's Night (I'm not sure if it's translated into English with this title; direct translation from the Turkish one). I don't know how the weather is like there , but it's snowing here and the book goes very good with the snowy and stormy weather.
        http://soundandclouds.blogspot.com/

Comment

I bought We by Yevgeny Zamatyin the other day - haven't got round to reading it yet, but supposed to be superb.

Comment

Working...
          X