Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Del Rey Robert E Howard reprints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Del Rey Robert E Howard reprints

Anyone seen those new Del Rey Robert E Howard reprints? Seems they're reprinting all of his work in nice high quality illustrated paperback editions. Really smart looking - Good chance to pick up all of REH's stuff (not just Conan) - Solomon Kane and Bran Mak Morn are in there too.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Thanks for the heads up Devilchicken. I was planning to re read Howard in the original unedited versions sometime soon, as I've so far read only the Carter/Camp revised ones a long long time ago when Howard. I was going to get the Masterwork series volumes for Conan. Are the Del Rey ones widely available in bookstores yet? I'm aiming to pick up and re-read his Conan, Kull, Kane, Mac Morn, and historicals.

Comment

Yes two Conan volumes have been released (basically the same as the Fantasy Masterworks volumes) as well as the collected Solomon Kane. Bran Mak Morn is due out May 2005.

I've already got the Fantasy Masterworks Conan, but these books are higher quality - and are illustrated throughout. You can pick them up on Amazon for around $10-11 each. Well worth it IMO.
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I'll be looking out for them next time I venture near a bookshop. Do you know who does the illustrations?. Are they available in hardback?

Comment

I just ordered them from Amazon - $30 for all 3 (including free shipping). Not too shabby. Amazon are only selling the books as Trade Paperback editions - I don't know if Del Rey have printed any HB editions.

Illustrations are BW line and pencil art - the credited illustrators name is Gary Gianni. Quality varies from what I've seen - but on the whole its a good job. Probably the best commercial printing of Howards stuff I've yet seen...

Comment

Tkx for the info DC. Just one last question, are the Del Ray editions Howard's unedited original text?

Comment

It would appear so - I cut and pasted the following from the editorial reviews on Amazon.

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Book 1)

ollected in this volume, profusely illustrated by artist Mark Schultz, are Howard’s first thirteen Conan stories, appearing in their original versions–in some cases for the first time in more than seventy years–and in the order Howard wrote them. Along with classics of dark fantasy like “The Tower of the Elephant� and swashbuckling adventure like “Queen of the Black Coast,� The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian contains a wealth of material never before published in the United States, including the first submitted draft of Conan’s debut, “Phoenix on the Sword,� Howard’s synopses for “The Scarlet Citadel� and “Black Colossus,� and a map of Conan’s world drawn by the author himself.
              The Bloody Crown of Conan (book 2)

This lavishly illustrated volume gathers together three of Howard’s longest and most famous Conan stories–two of them printed for the first time directly from Howard’s typescript–along with a collection of the author’s previously unpublished and rarely seen outlines, notes, and drafts.

Comment

Hi , just joined up . The Del Rey trades are reprints of the expensive Wandering Star hardcovers . As mentioned there are the two Conan volumes and Solomon Kane out now . Bran is out May , with the final Conan volume out the end of the year .

Wandering Star are putting together a Kull volume this year which hopefully Del Rey will pick up too . There is also a hardback of the first Conan coming from Del Rey end of the year .

With the WS/DR books the guys putting them together are going back where possible to Howard's original typescripts rather than the edited texts that where published later .

There are a number of other Howard books out / coming out this year from Wildside Press and Bison Books.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/
                The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

Comment

For years I wanted to read the original Conan stories, but with all that I've heard of the pastiche horror stories I put it off. Plus much of it was just out of print. I've picked up all they've released so far: both Conan’s and Solomon Kane. I was blown away at how entertaining, and well written, even the lesser tales where. The better stories are superb fantasy/adventure with the right dash of horror thrown in.

Comment

The presentation of these books is superb. Does Howard justice at last!
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

These are fanatstic editions. I have all of them so far, with the Bran Mak Morn one on pre-order at the store where I work. I just wish the Kull book wasn't last in the line. These are slow to come out, but worth the wait.

I also just picked up the Choasim edition of Howard's Cthulu stories, Nameless Cults. Some of the stories have been finished by other writers, but my old Baen edition is rather musty and yellowed due to it being on acidic paper. That one was of mostly complete stories, though.

If you're a Howard fan, be sure to pick up the trade editions of the old Marvel comic book Conan series, written by Roy Thomas. Volume 7 will be out in April from Dark Horse Comics. This was the longest running fantasy comic, and was as close to Howard as one could get. Lovely stuff.

Jeff

Comment

Kull has yet to be put together by the Wandering Star guys . It's due out _sometime_this year . No agreement between them and Del Rey yet on reprinting the Kull book though I don't think that will be a problem .

Del Rey are also putting out , just prior to the release of the third Conan trade , a hardback of Conan # 1 .

As well as the Marvel trades DH have just released a hardcover of Busiek and Nord's first arc , softcover next month - though _some_were released with the hardcover.

A hardcover of P.Craig Russell's Jewels of Gwahlur mini-series is also planned.

Quite a number of other Howard books are coming out from Wildside Press and Bison Books.

Terry
                        The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

Comment

I've been picking up all of the Dark Horse Conan trades, but haven't picked up the new monthly yet. But with the release of the first story arc in collected edition, I'll be picking it up NOW. Some nice articles up on Newsarama today with the DH's editor and the complicated licensing of all of REH's characters. There's also an interview with the folks doing the REH inspired Red Sonja book from Dynamite entertainment.

Since I already have the soft covers from Del Rey, I really can't see getting the new Hardcover, unless it collects all there volumes in one. I'm just happy that they're back in print, in their original pulp format.

So, what do you think of the Robert Jordan or Harry Turtledove Conan books? Any good? I still have a soft spot in my heart (or is that in my skull) for the de Camp/Carter books, since I grew up with those as being my first introduction (alongside the Marvel comics) to Howard's work.

I'm also grateful that REH Properties is cross-marketing this renewed interest in Conan and other Howard characters. I know Hollywood's been trying to get another movie off the ground, but it seemed like good timing/planning on the Wandering Star and Del Rey new editions and Dark Horse Comic's new series.

And in conjunction with a lot of other pulp falling squarely in the public domain, like Edgar Rice Burroughs, it's a good time for some great fantasy.

Best,

Jeff

Comment

At the time I discovered Conan I enjoyed the DeCamp / Carter stories too. I was a fan of the Conan character first and was happy to get hold of as much as I could . Carried on with the later pastiches from the likes of Offutt , Wagner etc but got fed up with the Jordans which put me off reading any more .

However , as a quite a few recommended it I did read , and enjoy , John Hocking's Emerald Lotus . As for Turtledove's , it seems that most fans don't like it as he skipped on his reasearch I gather which put most off although some say forgetting the discrepancies it's not a _bad_read.

Terry

Comment

I made some enquiries at a local bookshop and apparantly the Del Ray editions aren't available in the UK yet so I have bought the Masterworks vol which I shall upgrade for the Del Ray when they come out over here. I'd go for the WS hardbacks if I could but I'm old fashioned and lazy so if I can't grab something off the shelf I usually tend to let it go by.

The DeCamp Carter Conans with Frazetta covers produced by Sphere were what got me started with REH. I have a soft spot for those paperbacks, which I still have.

Is Turtledove the writer who wrote of Conan's early years and based it on a combo between Howard's own life and Braveheart?

Comment

Working...
                              X