Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Desert Island Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Island Books

Which ten books would you take to a desert island for company? Just to make things interesting I'll say you can only take a maximum of two volumes by MM, which will make deciding on them a challenge in itself

I'm going to think about this and come up with a list - I have a few in mind at the moment.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

This needs a lot of thinking, especially with that limit.
    Which MM omnibus edition contains the most books? :)

Comment

Ooh tricky! Okay, off the top of my head (for various reasons I could probably justify if pushed) my list is:

1. Dancers at the End of Time - Mr M
      2. Tao of Pooh - Benjamin Hoff
      3. How to be a Superhero - Mark Leigh, Mike Lepine
      4. 8 Femmes (Photobook) - Francois Ozon
      5. Complete Works of Oscar Wilde - Oscar Wilde
      6. Howl & Other Poems - Allen Ginsberg
      7. The Complete Calvin and Hobbes - Bill Watterson
      8. How to Meditate - Lawrence Le Shan
      9. A Cornelius Calendar - Mr M
      10. Sandman: Fables and Reflections - Neil Gaiman et al

In no particular order. I've cheated a little bit, but it's my desert island so: :P
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Either my list was so brilliant that everyone has given up trying to compete, or so terrible that everyone is too busy laughing to contribute... or perhaps everyone is stranded on a desert island and unable to post? 8O
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
          Either my list was so brilliant that everyone has given up trying to compete, or so terrible that everyone is too busy laughing to contribute... or perhaps everyone is stranded on a desert island and unable to post? 8O
          An interesting list.

As for me, I feel unequal to the task of selecting 10 books I'd like to read over and over again. I want to read different things at different times. If asked to select 10 books for such an occasion, I could doubtless give a different list every time I was asked.

LSN

Comment

I'm going to cheat and only list my top ten fiction selections. My desert island has a non-fiction library :D

From MM- Mother London and The War Amongst the Angels-
            Jeff Vandermeer- City of Saints and Madmen
            Jonathan Carroll- Sleeping in Flame
            Graham Joyce- Requiem
            Neal Barrett- The Hereafter Gang
            China Mieville- Perdido Street Station

The last three would be readers from Kafka, Emerson, and Dickens

I would also hide a copy of The Complete Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy for when I need levity.

Comment

Doc,

If you could post a review of Perdido Street Station in the "Books you've recently enjoyed" thread, it would be appreciated. I like the book, but I read it when it first came out and it passed the "expiration date" I impose on myself -- unless I go back and reread it.

By the way, your presence in the Verse Submissions thread is formally requested (when you can make the time).

LSN

Comment

Hi LSN! I will do both in the very near future (within a couple of days). I was out of town for a couple of weeks, which put me behind at work, but I'm nearly caught up. Time has magically started reappearing for me...

Comment

My Top Ten Desert Island Books List:

1. Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
                  2. Ubik - Philip K. Dick
                  3. The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
                  4. The Time Mercenaries - Philip E. High
                  5. Hawkmoon (aka The History of the Runestaff) - Michael Moorcock
                  6. The Nomad of Time - Michael Moorcock
                  7. New Worlds: An Anthology - various (only edited by Mike)
                  8. From Hell - Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell
                  9. Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
                  10. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien

Cheers,
                  David
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Here's my list:

1. Lord of the Flies by Golding
                    2. I am Legend by Matheson
                    3. Demian by Herman Hesse
                    4. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Clarke
                    5. Hawkmoon by MM
                    6. Count Brass by MM (both of the WW Omnibus editions, btw)
                    7. The Dark Knight Returns by Miller
                    8. At the Earth's Core by Burroughs
                    9. Mage: the Hero Discovered deluxe hardcover by Matt Wagner
                    10. The Coming of Conan by Howard

What can I say, I like pulp.

Cheers,

Jeff

Comment

I've cheated a bit, but apart from the first they are genuine books (sets).

1 - The Complete Jerry Cornelius - MM (okay then, the Quartet)
                      2 - Viriconium (omnibus) - M John Harrison
                      3 - The Mabinogion (as illus by Alan Lee)
                      4 - The Woodlanders - Thomas Hardy
                      5 - Gloriana - MM
                      6 - Le Grand Meaulnes - Alain-Fournier
                      7 - Library edition of the Complete Works of John Ruskin (so what if it's 39 volumes? well, 'Storm Clouds of the 19th Century', if you insist)
                      8 - Complete Works of William Morris (aargh, it's only 24 volumes, all right, let me keep the volume that includes 'Hopes and Fears for Art')
                      9 - The Once and Future King - T. H. White (the edition with all five books)
                      10 - History of the Kings of Britain - Geoffrey of Monmouth (espcially that imaginary edition that incoporates the 'Vita Merlini')

Ouch, but that was difficult.

Comment

Here's my choices:
                        • 1) Dancers at the End of Time - MM
                          2) The Player of Games - Iain M. Banks
                          3) Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
                          4) The First Book of Lankhmar - Fritz Leiber
                          5) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
                          6) Bushcraft - Ray Mears (both practical and entertaining)
                          7) Elric of Melnibone - MM
                          8) Darkwerks: Art of Brom
                          9) Use of Weapons - Iain M. Banks
                          10) The River Cottage Cookbook - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (hey, I like to cook)

Comment

Ok, I guess you can say that also cheated...but I can't give specific titles for some of these because I don't know enough about the climate/situation and for some of the others, I don't know titles off hand.

1 ) A survival guide for the climate/region (I could do fine in most temperate zones, but outside of that, I wouldn't know what plants are safe to eat, etc.)...I'd settle for one on local flora
                          2 ) War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy (hey, who knows how long I'll be there?)
                          3 ) Elric: Song of the Black Sword (White Wolf omnibus) - Michael Moorcock
                          4 ) Elric: Stealer of Souls (White Wolf omnibus) - Michael Moorcock
                          5 ) The Pocket Dante (Penguin Classics ed. with the entire Divine Comedy and La Vita Nuova(sp?)) - Dante Alighieri
                          6 ) The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
                          7 ) Dune - Frank Herbert
                          8 ) Monty Python and Holy Grail: The Screenplay - Graham Chapman, et al.(hey! I need some humour to maintain a semblance of sanity!).
                          9 ) Earth Knack: Stone Age Skills for the 21st Century - Bart & Robin Blankenship (I haven't read this one, but I think it could be most useful).
                          10) A book on primative boatbuilding...that way I can venture a little further from shore to lay nets and go fishing, etc.

Maybe my choices are boring, but I'd have enough there to keep me occupied and to learn something useful. I'm certain I could figure alot of the basics from the last two books, but if given the choise, I'd much rather have the books to be sure I don't do anything wrong!
                          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Ok, ten books, that should be easy.

The Cornelius Chronicles- MM
                            Dune- Frank Herbert
                            Tales of Mystery and Suspense- Edgar Allan Poe
                            Titus Groan-Mervyn Peake
                            The Vampire Lestat- Anne Rice
                            Elric, but which one?-MM
                            The Shadow of the Torturer-Gene Wolfe
                            Jack the Bodiless- Julian May
                            Picture of Dorian Grey- Oscar Wilde

This is getting too heavy to carry, I will pack light!

Comment

Thanks for the linky digging this one out from the vault, Dave!

I'm going to limit myself to one book per author including MM, just to give myself the biggest variation of reads I can...

1984 by Orwell
                              The Sot-weed Factor by John Barths
                              Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
                              Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton
                              The Man in the High Castle by PKD
                              The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake
                              The Complete Novels by Kafka or The Trial if I have to pick just one
                              Byzantium Endures by the Mighty Moorcock
                              The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
                              HP Lovecraft: The Fiction by... do I have to say? (his complete works)

My only problem with my selection is they are all (except The Sot-weed Factor) potentially highly depressing novels to be stuck on a desert Island for all eternity with. In fact I might just swap Byzantium Endures for The Cornelius Quartet just because Jerry always puts a smile on my face... and maybe Viz's The Big Pink Stiff One instead of 1984 just for laughs...
                              forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                              2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                              3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Working...
                              X