Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which of these series or trilogy of novels do you like best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of these series or trilogy of novels do you like best?

Which of these books do you like best?

Role-playing game related books, products of or inspired from RPGs.
    Dragonlance Chronicles <1-3> by Weis & Hickman
    25.00%
    Dragonlance Legends Trilogy by Weis & Hickman
    0.00%
    Gord the Rogue series by Gary Gygax
    25.00%
    Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
    0.00%
    The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
    12.50%
    The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore
    0.00%
    Magician series, <up to> A Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond E. Feist
    37.50%
    Riftwar:Serpentwar (4 books) by Raymond E. Feist
    0.00%
    Riftwar:Legacy (first 3 books) by Raymond E. Feist
    0.00%
    Dragonlance:War of Souls by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
    0.00%

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Feist wins for me because its the only one I've read!

Comment

I enjoyed both of the Dragonlance series you mentioned- although I'm not sure they'd withstand a reread. The early Riftwar books were quality entertainment, although Feist definitely kept going well after they jumped the shark.
      I still love the Gord books though, even after having done a recent reread. They're unappologetcly low-brow in the tradition of Conan and that's what makes them so much fun. Gord doesn't waste much time worrying about right and wrong and that's what makes him the most entertaining of D&D's fictional characters. The series fell off at the end when the characters became over-powered and the story grew to big for it's own good conceptually but as whole they're still a stand-out in my mind when I think of good adventure stories. Sure, Gygax borrowed from Fritz Leiber, Robert Howard and our host on this site but he told a good story in the process. He also got me (and my group of friends) excited to do some role-playing in a way that none of the other myriad D&D novels came close to equaling.

*edit* Salvatore's books concerning Drizzt are a cut above the majority of gaming-inspired novels. I did have fun with them when I was a kid, but they disappointed me when I reread them a few years ago.

Comment

None of the above?

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
          None of the above?

I've read most of them. I wouldn't recommend any of them to a veteran Moorcock fan, although I had a lot of fun with them when I was a kid. My grandmother bought me the first book of Gord's adventures for a quarter at a library sale when I was 11. Later that year she gave me The Elric Saga for my birthday. I read the Dragonlance books one summer on a vacation to the beach right around the same time. I have a lot of good memories attached to those books.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
            None of the above?

David,

It's funny that you say that, I almost did place a 'none of these' selection, but I left it alone thinking that they were somewhat intertwined in the type of books they are, and that the novels are , in their grouping, interesting.

Edit: I did not actually get to play those game, maybe just a little of Icewind Dale, but I discovered the books through my friends who played Dungeons & Dragons.

That Icewind Dale play was years later when it was outdated.
            I just messed around with it a little. When I got to see the game the graphics looked very prehistoric compared to the modern games that I became used to playing. But, I did have some "ancient" computer games and had use of an old Atari computer and one of it's role-playing games as well as others. The role-playing Atari was sort of like Everquest in the way the weapons and equipment were stored on the character sheet display, in square boxes, then you could eat monsters for food.

I also followed video game evolution through Pong, Squash, Atari console, Colleco Vision, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Playstation One, Playstation Two and Playstation Three. With a used Turbo Graphics wedged in there somewhere.
            __________________________________________________ __________

__________________________________________________ __

Liquidshadows,

So true. These novels can not be compared to Moorcock or many classics.

The list is based a lot on nostalgia and it's effects.

Above all, they are fun, and I don't really examine them beyond the adventure of the stories.

I guess they might be more considered the 'young adult' and children's category, but they are still entertaining.

I think I will have to choose Gord since I read Gygax before these others, but I did take great pleasure in the Feist books, including the end of the whole series. Plus they were more removed from fitting in with the game rules.

Now in Dragonlance, they are extra fun for me in many different ways, and it is the neat and cool objects, moments and things that make it outstanding. I like the unique stuff. And stuff like Towers of High Sorcery, The Inn of the Last Home, Draconians, Lances attached dragon saddles, etc.

Same goes with Greyhawk, like Greyhawk City itself with it's Old Quarter and cool shops. Oerth itself, that is just so cool of a map to look at! Gord learning and training since childhood.

I do not actually mind that the plot goes super big at the end of a series.

It does seem the natural conclusion anymore. (for me)

It seems like many adventure stories eventually build momentum and there is nowhere else to go but up higher and higher.

__________________________________________________ _____

__________________________________________________ ___

Then there is the Raistlin - Elric comparisons and the Drizzt - Elric comparisons, but that will happen.

Salvatore is high intensity action and excitement during the adventure. He created a lot of cool settings, events and fun magic items.

I really enjoy things from a lone character to an ensemble of interesting character.

I imagine that these novels can also be considered "pixie-", but I just love that pixie stuff.

I like the fun adventure of it all!

It's sort of like Indiana Jones brand excitement in a magically fantasy world setting.

Thanks for all the replies to my threads!

(please keep'em coming, I enjoy reading them, and I like reading opinions)

I'll talk to ye later!,
            lemec
            Last edited by lemec; 02-11-2015, 10:52 PM. Reason: I just had to make a slight adjustment to address my thoughts and ideas.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yes, I did choose Gord the Rogue.
              (at one time in the 2003-2009 period, after TLotR films, I had thought they might make a Gord movie, but I guess no one had seeked it out, it would have made a great movie, or now it could follow in the footsteps of a GoT type television series) Dragonlance cartoon did not do the book justice, obviously.

Now, my decisions were tough, if fact, one could not place a knife edge in between my voting selections. They are all good. Even the War of Souls was really good with it's "wild magic" in the plot.

I guess my list would go:

(From what I love best at the top of the list and going from there to ones that I still love, but if I need to choose, I pick some above others, for various reasons of coolness and story elements) Thanks!

Gord the Rogue
              Icewind Dale Trilogy
              Riftwar: Serpentwar
              Dragonlance: Legends
              The Cleric Quintet
              Magician Series
              Dragonlance: Chronicles
              The Dark Elf Trilogy
              Dragonlance: War of Souls
              Riftwar:Legacy
              Last edited by lemec; 02-11-2015, 10:32 PM. Reason: II had to type some more information and also correct a mistake.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I read none of these, maybe because I'm german and grew up at a small town. No fantasy availiable beyond Tolkien and Marion Zimmer-Bradley.

Later I played, as pen and paper roleplaying games, DSA and Shadowrun. The novels that came with these were hopelessly pulpy but good fun. (DSA: fantasy world that includes every kliche known to mankind, from elves, orks, vikings, romans right down to pirates and shape shifting, politician impersonating reptilians. Shadowrun: neuromancer + magic, elves, orks and other fantasy races)
                Last edited by Tenar; 02-12-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I've always wanted to stay at The Inn of the Last Home :) Come to think of it I wonder if there's a pub built in a tree somewhere... there's almost gotta be right? My favorite of the Gord books was probably the first. There are lot's of spoilers under this tag but I'm enjoying this bit of nostalgia.

Comment

I had to go with Feist's Magician Series. I encountered these books early in my life. They made a huge impression on me. I didn't even know about the role-playing connection until many years afterward. I am not sure if I would still feel as strongly about them if I read them again today.

I did read the Serpentwar books around 15 years ago. I loved the strategies and planning involved in preparing for the battle, but the connection was not the same.

I have read pieces of most of the other series mentioned, and pretty much all of the Weis and Hickman stuff. I really love the relationships between the characters in the Dragonlance books. The only books from the list that I have not read at all are the Gord books. But after reading the praise for them I am wondering if I missed out.
                    I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

I'll echo David. I finished the first "book" of Dragons of Autumn Twilight and decided there wasn't anything of interest to me. Ditto for the Drizzt (after finished the Dark Elf Trilogy) and Riftwar books. From what I had read of Drizzt, I see a bit more of Erekose in him than I do Elric. The rest of the dark elves are a bit on the Melnibonean side.

The best tie-ins I've read:

Test of Metal by Matthew Stover: A young man living in the slums of a world of machines decides to take his life into his own hands in defiance of the world's rigid, inhuman hierarchy.

The Draconic Prophecies Trilogy by James Wyatt:
                      The Storm Dragon
                      Dragon Forge
                      Dragon War

A man driven mad by his experiences as a war hero seeks a means of averting a dragons' prophecy. The setting reminds me of Hawkmoon's, except where all the technology is powered by elementals rather than steam.

Comment

I went with Magician tho only read the Fiest books and the original Dragonlance books and those I read only because I was out of reading material and the local bookstore at the time was limited in the sf/fantasy selection.
                        herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

I've never even HEARD of any of these!!

getting my coat....
                          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                          X